Saw a '53 Chevy this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a terribly special car, but this was a really nice looking two door in a light blue with the roof painted an Old English White.
An educated look down the sides as we approached the lights revealed less than perfect rust repair, but still a very nice driver.
Just an older guy driving his prized old machine to work on a nice summer morning.
I just thought it was nice to see a car from the days of Chevy really ruling the roost in looks and sales.
Should have paid more attention since I didn't notice whether this car had Powerglide or three on the tree.
I do like the look of these cars, which look better to my eye than the '55 or '57 Cheys that are so highly regarded, the '55 debut of the SBC not withstanding.
I find it nice to see folks actually using their collectible cars a bit during the dry and warm months.
After all, every car was built to be driven and not stored.

Back in the day when you could tell a Merc from a Ford. A Chevy from a Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile. Dodge from a Plymouth etc. Cars had their own style back then. My wife knows for a fact I have a car sickness. We'll be driving and I see a old car and darn near break my neck looking at it. Many times have turned around to go back. She doesn't get mad anymore because she knows it won't matter. I know today's cars are more this and more that. But if I had a choice between a 1969 B5 Blue Road Runner 383 Magnum 4-speed and a 2019 B5 Blue Challenger R/T Hemi 6 speed........It'd be the Bird. But a 1965 Ford Galaxie 500...or a 1964 GTO....or a 1970 Olds 442...or a 1964 Plymouth Hemi 4 speed and the old list goes on. See I'm sick.........and I don't wanna get well!!!!!!!
Old Muscle Cars Rock!!!!!

53-54 Chevies do more for me than the much more popular 55-57. I've always been partial to in-line sixes. The Blue Flame 6 235 CI was a great mill

My parents' first new car was a 1953 Bel Air, Campus Cream over Woodland Green. They ended up trading it for a 1955 Bel Air with the exciting new V8
wink.gif

There's just something about a '55 Chevy, they were the best looking cars GM ever made. My grandpa had a '56 4 door when I was a kid, he traded it in on a '67 Impala...
37.gif

Grandma purchased a '55 4 door (don't know the trim level). 'Twas a dark green.
She selected the car as Grandpa had died years before.
You had to leave a window gap or the door wouldn't swing closed. A good, tight bod.

Had a 54 chev with the blue flame six. The three speed on the column would occasionally hang up going into second and we would lift the hood and shake the levers on the column till they were level [neutral] and be on our way.

That's crazy! I had a '79 Chev C10 pickup with straight 6 and 3 on the tree. It would frequently hang up on the 1-2 upshift. You'd think between 54 and 79 they would have fixed that.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
That's crazy! I had a '79 Chev C10 pickup with straight 6 and 3 on the tree. It would frequently hang up on the 1-2 upshift. You'd think between 54 and 79 they would have fixed that.

My 1950 3 on the tree did it as well.
Just sayin'...

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog

My 1950 3 on the tree did it as well. ...
So did our '54 (listed below), but only after it got old, and my parents' 1959 Rambler did it more often.

Because of insurance and parking, I reluctantly sold the '54 for $35 upon buying my then-new Subaru. I wish I'd held onto the owner's manual, which I'll guess might be worth more than $35 now.

Less than two months before I sold it, the '54 Chevy moved me and nearly all my worldly possessions from northwestern Kentucky to northwestern Jersey to start my first "real" job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back