Motor Oil for Turbo Props

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was sitting next to the engine and got to see the acceptable oils on a Saab 340B turbo prop. Enjoy.

66DC939C-7FDC-47B4-9A26-446FB83DB303.jpeg

2674C578-E2C6-4A40-A256-7237AB7B8A6A.jpeg

672EFEA6-4D0B-45DD-8F9F-588167DF362A.jpeg

Last edited:
AeroShell Turbine Oil 500 viscosity @40C 25.2cSt @100C 5.1cSt compared to

AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 10w40 viscosity @40C 94.2cSt @100C 14.4cSt

Since either viscosity will meet your gears longevity expectations... protection really
comes from the base oil + additives rather than high or low viscosity...
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop

Since either viscosity will meet your gears longevity expectations... protection really
[Linked Image]

Mate, as discussed in the various threads that we've discussed over the years, the "Little Golden Book of Oil" isn't lubrication fundamentals 101...not even close.

At least use a picture of a viscometer, and get an understanding what and how it is measured (yes, you are referencing your "time flow" concept that's still not correct.

And pictures of balls versus blocks of oil doesn't cut it either...

as to the rest of the statement, the 10W-40 etc...What ???

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I was sitting next to the engine and got to see the acceptable oils on a Saab 340B turbo prop. Enjoy.

Yeah, I take those pics if I'm in the right seat...
I've got a Saab one...sure I've got a 737 one floating around on the Camera phone

AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 10w40 viscosity @40C 94.2cSt @100C 14.4cSt

[Linked Image]

There was some really useful info here such as the the viscosity of the Aero Oil and a review of the viscosities and grades. Sorry the guy with the 43,000 posts doesn't like your image of the viscometer.
smile.gif

AeroShell Turbine Oil 500 viscosity @40C 25.2cSt @100C 5.1 cSt

That's on the botton end of 12 weight per SAE J300.

Snagglefoot There was some really useful info here such as the the viscosity of the Aero Oil and a review of the viscosities and grades. Sorry the guy with the 43 said:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/graemlins/smile.gif[/IMG]

No, there's a long history of BLS posting goldn book and incorret "facts" on lubricants...planks skitting over ball bearings of "uniform molecule size referring to viscosity as the "time flow" charateristic of lubricatants...

And bringing nonsensical statements and inferences....seriosuly, the 10W40 oil developed for Rotax engines will protect the gearbox ?

of what ? your turboprop ?

Rotax oil isn't going anywhere NEAR that compartment.

Base oil and additives are more inportant in a lubricant sense than viscosity ?
Then the image states that it's the most important parameter ?

That stems back to his defending the use of M1 0W30 in the mixed compartments of motorcycles, and defenfding that to the hilt in spite of JAMA recommendations...

"Golden Book", unreaslistic oversimplifications don't help others learn REAL information.

That must be an old engine. Only the AeroShell 500 and Mobil Jet II are still available. The Exxon Turbo Oil 2380 became BP Turbo Oil 2380 about 19 years ago and became Eastman Turbo Oil 2380 in 2014. The Castrol 205 and Stauffer Jet II oils are as old as the hills and neither has been in the market for decades. All of these oils were originally qualified against the MIL-L-23699 specification (now MIL-PRF-23699) which are known as 5 cSt oils due to their viscosity @ 100°C. There are also 3 cSt oils available under the Mil-PRF-7808 specification. Jet oils are all based entirely on polyol esters and are very thin but very stable.

I knew at least one aircraft tech (in training) that used 2380 in his car. I think it was a 2.8L V6 Camaro from the 1980's. The super clean but used, "free" oil was just too tempting. I was working for Mobil oil in their flight department at the time. We were doing oil and grease product testing on the company's corporate jet fleet. So we had a bunch of "waste" but perfectly new-like oil.

Anyway, this kid used it regularly, he was not a certified tech and really did not understand what he was doing. I don't recall the end results, but I remember him popping the hood and hearing that engine clatter loudly.

But I was driving a prepped but worn, ex race car Ford Fiesta with only one seat, so who am I to talk?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Tom NJ
That must be an old engine. Only the AeroShell 500 and Mobil Jet II are still available. The Exxon Turbo Oil 2380 became BP Turbo Oil 2380 about 19 years ago and became Eastman Turbo Oil 2380 in 2014. The Castrol 205 and Stauffer Jet II oils are as old as the hills and neither has been in the market for decades. All of these oils were originally qualified against the MIL-L-23699 specification (now MIL-PRF-23699) which are known as 5 cSt oils due to their viscosity @ 100°C. There are also 3 cSt oils available under the Mil-PRF-7808 specification. Jet oils are all based entirely on polyol esters and are very thin but very stable.

Understandable.. The plane was manufactured between 82 and 99.
smile.gif

AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 10w40 viscosity @40C 94.2cSt @100C 14.4cSt...

It makes no sense to compare a four-stroke engine oil with a Turbine oil!
confused2.gif
because there are different base oils used, different viscosities, different additives involved, and totally different applications.

AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 is the world's first oil specifically developed for light sport, very light and ultralight four-stroke engine aircraft. It is multigrade for use in any climate and combines synthetic and high-quality mineral oil with advanced additive technologies for excellent performance, wear and corrosion protection, and cleanliness with leaded and unleaded fuels.

Last edited:

There was some really useful info here such as the the viscosity of the Aero Oil and a review of the viscosities and grades.

You're welcome

Sorry the guy with the 43,000 posts doesn't like your image of the viscometer.
smile.gif

NP

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
I knew at least one aircraft tech (in training) that used 2380 in his car. I think it was a 2.8L V6 Camaro from the 1980's. The super clean but used, "free" oil was just too tempting. I was working for Mobil oil in their flight department at the time. We were doing oil and grease product testing on the company's corporate jet fleet. So we had a bunch of "waste" but perfectly new-like oil.

Anyway, this kid used it regularly, he was not a certified tech and really did not understand what he was doing. I don't recall the end results, but I remember him popping the hood and hearing that engine clatter loudly.

I suspect I know the end result: 5 cSt @ 100°C, no ZDDP, no detergent, no dispersant, no anti-rust equals no engine!
grin2.gif

aeround 1991 when I worked in transmission, a couple of guys snuck out some of that very expensive transformer oil...same thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back