New Personal Best MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last weekend I had a out of town wedding 250 miles away . I figured I would take my 15 Jetta 1.8 t because it had not had a longer than 50 mile journey in last 2 years . So I filled the tank and added the Gumout Complete fuel system cleaner . All the stars must have been lined up because I got 42.2 MPGs hand calculated and that was going between 70-80 mph with about 15 miles of city too. I couldn't believe I broke 40 .

I will add only me in car , wife stayed home with elderly dog , I'm sure that affected it some .

Practically like driving for free. My brothers 15TDI Passatt with the 6m is getting 50, but diesel costs more.

Yeah my 1.6L Nissan Versa Note gets 40mpg regularly. It is just so unconformable on long trips.

My personal best?
How about 569 miles on 9.9 gallons?
57.5 mpg?
Was really pleased to see that
Our ancient Civic Wagons would do 40+ under similar conditions, but those were much lighter cars than anything sold these days in this market and were also sticks.

Heck, I got all you beat.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by oldhp
You guys need to retire so you don't care anymore about MPG. Shortly it's gunna be Smile's per Mile.

I am retired. , i know someday i will have a electric car but that is a long way off i hope . Hopefully the range is double of what it is presently .

I can get 25 MPG at 125MPH in my Cessna 177RG. I think that's difficult to top. Although, from a practical standpoint, that's slower than the airplane "likes" to fly, so I don't do that often. Engine RPM is too low and it shakes a bit. 17MPG at 165MPH TAS.

My 2006 Diesel Jetta returned 42MPG in mixed driving. Not bad, but not up to the previous generation's lofty 50MPG numbers.

I was able to hyper-mile the Jetta and top 60MPG, but I had to do that on a cross Florida trip, using only back roads, with no AC and keep the speed down to 45mph. I had to let people pass A LOT.

That very trip taught me a lesson. I saved $3 for every additional hour I spent in the seat driving around. I'll never do that again. My time is worth a whole bunch more than $3 per hour.

If you want good mpg, I believe It's better to purchase a Prius-like car, enjoy the natural efficiency, and not waste time going stupidly slow.

Last edited:
Driving back from my daughter's,15 miles of county road 15 miles of highway 37.9 mpg according to dash. I got 40.1 the other day. Light rain helps. I'm retired and No longer have the lightening reflexes of my youth. But what I do remember is the cardinal rule for driving drunk, or brakeless or clutchless or any kind of impaired driving conditions. Keep a safe following distance. and you hardly ever need to use the brakes. This is the easiest way to get good MPG. Before you get all mad for me driving drunk. Rest assured, I've seen the light and stopped that long ago.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Originally Posted by oldhp
You guys need to retire so you don't care anymore about MPG. Shortly it's gunna be Smile's per Mile.

I am retired. , i know someday i will have a electric car but that is a long way off i hope . Hopefully the range is double of what it is presently .

Exactly!! As EVs take off in the next 5 years they will become like laptops, cell phones and TVs, obsolete as soon as you take them out of the box. I'll start looking at them in 2030
lol.gif

My personal best was several 900+ mile tanks in my 2015 Passat TDI. With an 18.5 tank it figured out to 56 mpg. ( And then we got caught )

Last edited:
I had a 1980 Datsun 210 MPG 1500cc and a five speed. It regularly delivered 37 MPG in town and 47+ on the freeway. But we've really improved technology since then haven't we. It cost me $3200 tax and license.

I've gotten 42 in a 2002 Corolla between Sacramento and LA going a constant 70-80. But that car was a total POS in every other way.

On that note, I hit a personal best in the XTerra this week, of course it was still only 18 mpg. Worst was 11, I've done 12-13 a few times towing a trailer and carrying a pair of kayaks on the roof.

Last edited:
The Altima 2.5L 4 cyl in my signature achieved a 44 mpg on one single tank full of gas and this was not the dash computer reading, it was my own hard reading after refilling. I also achieved another 40 on another tank. Both tanks of fuel were in the summer(separate summers) and it happened to be a hot & humid week(s). My dash reading always reads ~2-3 MPG higher than my hard readings. All of our vehicles that had the MPG reading in the car were always optimistic compared to my own readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back