Are you brand loyal for motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
in 30+ years of doing my own oil changes most of the time, I have never been brand loyal. Use whatever cheapest but meet spec oil I can find. Most times I keep a 1-2 year stash on hand of whatever rebate oil I have picked up. If pushed to buy on the spot, most times it would just be the Wally World SuperTech brand oil they have. I do tend to stay away from low Moly oils like Valvoline but it is not a hard fast rule.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Do you always use the same brand of oil?
Do you switch between brands?
Do you use off brand oils or buy different oils due to sale prices etc....

I usually buy PP or Mobil 1. But I will on occasion try different oils including off brand.

Nowadays I run Mobil 1 (regular or EP), almost exclusively. The exception would be if I find a better deal on full synthetic by a different major brand, and I need to re-up my stash, I will buy a couple jugs. But the M1 annual rebate prices are nearly impossible to beat... buying at WalMart for $22.50 per 5qt jug, after rebate it ends up about $14 for 5 quarts.

I stick with Mobil1 of various flavors, mostly EP 5w30 and FS0w40, both are excellent oils and with rebates sales and rollbacks you can get them for near store brand prices. In 20+ years and 500,000+ miles of of driving and working on cars I've never had a lubrication related failure on a vehicle that was running Mobil1.

I stick with what I like and quality is my top priority 99% of the time so I'm sticking with Schaeffer oils.

This may be a oddball but I've always liked Shell oil and use it whenever I can get my hands on it. It's always been the quietest/smoothest running oil for me in any engine i've tried it in. Example is my 2006 Sienna. I've tried lots of oils from Super tech, Castrol Magnetec, Syntec, PP, PP Ultra etc, it's always had a tick, especially when cold.

Just tried Shell Truck and SUV and I struggle to hear the tick now, idle is butter smooth.

I generally stick with the major brands. I used to go for PUP but they're so expensive and limited when they come down in price. It's been Mobil 1 Extended or Castrol GTX Magnatec for me. Nothing against house brands. Sales price usually helps me pick. I even went with Quaker State because it was cheap.

I am not but Mother is nothing but Pennzoil. Should have seen her face this morning when I checked her oil and it was low. You could swear I didn't check it correctly and then goes in a quart of Havoline ProDs 5w30 from 6 quart box I got for 20.00 from Walmart. The question never stopped about if it would destroy her car or why I put it in all the lawn equipment.

For short periods. I do 35k miles a year and 5-6k mile oil changes so that's an oil change every 2 months.I can seem to stay loyal no more than 3 changes at a time. I was on a Pennzoil platinum kick for 3, now I'm on my 2nd interval of Mobil 1 EP but I already Shell Gas Truck then QSUD on deck (which I consider the same brand and [censored] near the same thing). I have two jugs of Mobil 1 0-30 advanced fuel economy waiting on Jan/Feb next year but before that Valvoline synth might get a run somewhere around Oct-Dec....so no.
I'm loyal as [censored] to Walmart off the shell pricing though lol.

I don't buy-in to the marketing hype that drives name brand oil sales although I do appreciate their sponsorship of race events. If I were to become "brand loyal" it would be to support some particular racing team.

FWIW: In the 70's and 80's I was brand loyal to Castrol and Havoline. In the 90's, I used various name brands with no real rhyme or reason for any particular selection. Through the 2000's, I used Walmart Super Tech synthetic. From roughly 2010 till now, I've been using Milesyn 5 gallon pails both synthetic and syn-blend (sometimes mixing them as dictated by need vs. supply on-hand).

All my vehicles have (or had) normally aspirated engines and none are (or were) considered to be "high-performance".

Ray

I like Castrol and Mobil. If someone gave me something else D1G2, I would use it. I would definitely buy the Havoline smart box. I guess I'm spec loyal.

Im loyal to not having a problem with API certified oils in the correct viscosity for my application.

Brand doest matter a whole lot.

UD

I have used PP 5w30 in my 3.6 Malibu since 2012. 5k oci. Used Pennzoil Gold in my Durango until walmart stopped carrying it so now its gonna get whatever. Went with Rotella Gas Truck 5w20 in my 2019 Hemi. Hoping it will provide some good protection for being 20weight. But who knows how long that will be on the shelves...

I'm loyal to Valvoline. I've been using it for 42 years in a wide array of vehicles and it has never let me down. I have opened up two engines that were lubricated by Valvoline (for non oil related issues) and they were both clean as a pin even though both of them had over 100K miles. I use all of their products and have been very satisfied. I have tried most of the other brands and, they have performed well for me too but, none of them offered anything that would drive me to make the switch. And then finally, with everything else being equal, Valvoline is an American owned independent company that is competing against the integrated major oil companies so, I choose to support them!!

I like Shell oil products above all others, I first used Rotella T6 5W-40 12 years ago and it is my favorite motor oil. Looking forward to using Rotella 0W-20 (Gas Truck) in the future as well as Rotella T6 0W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back