Absorber drying chamois

Hello,

Anyone use The Absorber synthetic chamois? I used to use them way back when and loved them, but I know times and fads change. I think a normal chamois is not recommended for drying really anymore because it holds tight to the panel of the car and drags (possible contaminates) across the car panels. The Absorber does pull water in and has in the past worked well for me but don't like that it has to be stored damp. I know there are a lot of fancy drying towels now too.. What would you use?

Thank you

Originally Posted by Redright9
Hello,

Anyone use The Absorber synthetic chamois? I used to use them way back when and loved them, but I know times and fads change. I think a normal chamois is not recommended for drying really anymore because it holds tight to the panel of the car and drags (possible contaminates) across the car panels. The Absorber does pull water in and has in the past worked well for me but don't like that it has to be stored damp. I know there are a lot of fancy drying towels now too.. What would you use?

Thank you

I have used the synthetic chamois, and continue to use one now, albeit only on surfaces that aren't prone to marring like glass.

The synthetic chamois will definitely dry a body panel quickly, and they can be stored in their original container while damp without issue. However, they should be washed periodically (but never dried!).

Their main drawback is that they have no way to keep dirt or other foreign matter from scratching the clear coat on a car's paint job if there is any dirt, pollen, etc. encountered while drying. If you have a white colored paint job, or if you just generally aren't concerned about creating swirls in the clear coat, the synthetic chamois is hard to beat as a drying utensil.

I agree with Nuke, I would never use a chamois on a painted surface i cared about. Waffle weave microfiber is your friend here.

Originally Posted by JoelB
I agree with Nuke, I would never use a chamois on a painted surface i cared about. Waffle weave microfiber is your friend here.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Originally Posted by Redright9
Hello,

Thank you

I have used the synthetic chamois, and continue to use one now, albeit only on surfaces that aren't prone to marring like glass.

The synthetic chamois will definitely dry a body panel quickly, and they can be stored in their original container while damp without issue. However, they should be washed periodically (but never dried!).

Their main drawback is that they have no way to keep dirt or other foreign matter from scratching the clear coat on a car's paint job if there is any dirt, pollen, etc. encountered while drying. If you have a white colored paint job, or if you just generally aren't concerned about creating swirls in the clear coat, the synthetic chamois is hard to beat as a drying utensil.

I disagree because it's HOW you dry which also matters. If you open the chamois up and lay it across the surface to "blot dry" the paint then marring will be as low as what you experience when using a MF towel. Products like the Absorber will hold a ton of water.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by double vanos
I used a water sprite brand when I lived in Houston.
Highly recommend!

Is it like the absorber? Its a synthetic chamois I see, but does it need to be stored wet? does it dry out like a normal chamois? or is it more like a towel?

Absorber XL. I've used the Absorber for years. I use MF when doing rinseless washes in the winter. MF have to be washed, and break down over time.

Do microfiber towels magically repel foreign objects that may mar your cars surface? For everyday vehicles use the synthetic chamois on clean surfaces only and don't let it hit the ground. The best way to dry a car, magnitudes better than a chamois. I also prefer soft egyptian cotton for drying show car finishes. This is what Zaino Brothers recommended years back. Did an award winning job on my old '70 'cuda. Nothing quite like spending 12 hours washing/polishing/detailing a vehicle for car shows multiple times every summer. Sold that car and its expensive paint job and never looked back. Synthetic chamois and Nu-Finish are now it.

Redright9 : I like the water sprite better than the absorber because it's very soft and doesn't "grab" the wet panel like the absorber does. It stores wet. Does an excellent job of absorbing water and is easy to wring out...
I still have mine (two of them actually), stored wet and ready to go. It's strange to me that the water sprite can be stored wet for long periods of time and doesn't smell or get moldy. The only other drying things I have are a waffle weave towel and leaf blower.

Unfortunately, Water Sprite was bought out many years ago by whoever owns absorber.

Absorbers are now just packaged as Water Sprite. I loved my Water Sprites (still have two, probably 25 years old). I hate Absorbers.

I don't have the need for something that absorbs like a chamois. I use a leaf blower to dry my vehicles, which removes most of the water, then I pull them into the garage to finish drying them, which I do with a MF towel...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by grampi
I don't have the need for something that absorbs like a chamois. I use a leaf blower to dry my vehicles, which removes most of the water, then I pull them into the garage to finish drying them, which I do with a MF towel...

Same routine and finish drying with Meguiars Water Magnet waffleweave.

I've been using the Absorber for almost 20 years (I have one dedicated for the finish and one dedicated for the jambs and wheels). I have also purchased some expensive waffle weave microfibers which I thought would replace it because smart people on the internet said it was better. The problem with them is the wet performance even after wringing it out is not as good as the Absorber. The key is to drag it over the finish with only the weight/tension of the chamois and I haven't seen any ill effects I can attribute to it, even on black cars. Just as a point of information I do try to sheet as much water off of the car as possible during my final rinse and do use a leaf blower to remove water from crevices, etc.

Back