Sister wants an Audi q5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mechanically speaking, I would like to know as much as possible about the q5, the good, bad and ugly please.

Also mechanically speaking, is the VW Tiguan still the same as the q5?

She is not sure yet if the next vehicle will be lease or buy , just trying to help steer her away from a vehicle that has the potential for imminent, costly repairs. I know past Audi vehicles had DI valve coking issues. BITOG member opinions appreciated, thanks.

As far as German vehicles , I have heard they are notorious for difficult , costly repairs .

Personally , I would run from them unless the price was too cheap to turn down .

Either that or never let it go outside warranty .

Plus , I am cheap . They are more $$$ than I could tolerate .

Wife has had her Q5 for almost 5 years now. No issues so far, other than some recalls.

All in all, it has been a great vehicle for us. Quick, good handling, great interior and fit&finish, and trouble free so far.

Recent Audi's have a great record. My brother has a 2016 Q5 in S? model with V6 turbo and had little issues over 105k miles. I know 5 people who have a Q5 >=2015 and not a single one of them complain about vehicle and furthermore love them. I think its top tier pick in category.

The Tiguan and Q5 are not closely related except variation on 2.0L and MQB platform likely. Q5 and Porsche Macan are closely related though.

Barometer at least of Audi>>> https://www.consumerreports.org/used-cars/used-cars-to-avoid-buying/

The 2.0 liter engine shares some parts with the VW version. The EA888 has had it's share of issues (timing chain, water pump, intake manifold actuator, etc) over the years of which many have been rectified. Personally I'm not a fan of a 4-cylinder pushing around an AWD vehicle.

(EA888 Gen 3B).

You could always visit YouTuber "The Humble Mechanic".

A friend had a 2013 Q5 TDI, took it to 150k with a motor mount replacement under warranty. Otherwise perfect. Recently sold it and got a 2.0T Q5.

So you've got some real world observations and you've got some read it on the internet so it must be true....

My next door neighbor has the 3.0T and recently she had to spend some big bucks on engine work. I don't know the details as she didn't know herself. But then her husband has a Cadillac SRX that also recently blew a transmission, so I don't think they're that great at maintaining their vehicles.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Mechanically speaking, I would like to know as much as possible about the q5, the good, bad and ugly please.

Also mechanically speaking, is the VW Tiguan still the same as the q5?

She is not sure yet if the next vehicle will be lease or buy , just trying to help steer her away from a vehicle that has the potential for imminent, costly repairs. I know past Audi vehicles had DI valve coking issues. BITOG member opinions appreciated, thanks.

I've heard good things about them. When I was looking for my next vehicle, a friend recommended the 2018+ Q5. I personally feel that I got a better deal buying my CX5 (similar performance and options for $35K OTD), but if you want the Q5, I've had a hard time finding bad mechanical reviews 2016+, and Audi's interiors are very nice.

Definitely get the 2018+ year model. The 2017 was a dog, comparatively.

Last edited:
I was quoted $4200 for a 10/120k warranty from Audi (administered by Fidelity) for a 2019 Q5.

I would highly consider the warranty if she plans to own one long-term.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I was quoted $4200 for a 10/120k warranty from Audi (administered by Fidelity) for a 2019 Q5.

Wow! That is kindof scary, honestly. Is that just the bumper to bumper, or does that include paint/dent/interior repairs? That's twice what I paid for my CX5 for 10/150, bumper-to-bumper, and leads me to think repairs on the Audi will be astronomical. I'd get that warranty!

Can you just rebadge an RX350, put some sticky tires on it and tell her it's a Q5? It's an SUV so I doubt she's gonna but the thing on a circle track. It will be easier and less time consuming then a family member owning an Audi (any Audi) when it's out of warranty.

Thanks guys, not really expecting such positive reviews, will let her know. I believe she is looking at the I4 turbo powertrain.

Mechanical only, bumper to bumper. And that price was from one of the online sellers too so the average dealer transaction price is probably much higher.

A similar length one for a Toyota or Lexus IS $1500-$2K.

Mechanical only, bumper to bumper. And that price was from one of the online sellers too so the average dealer transaction price is probably much higher.

A similar length one for a Toyota or Lexus IS $1500-$2K.

Wow. I bought mine through the dealer for $2400. 10/150K miles. bumper to bumper, All the things (except speakers, and winshield wipers), but not leather repair, etc. My CX5 has a 2.5L turbo and AWD, LED swivelling headlights, HUD, NAV, Heated and cooled seats, blah blah blah. Basically all the same stuff the Audi does, minus the digital dash (speedometer only), and plus the HUD unit. For the Audi to have such an absurdly high warranty, given the equipment similarity, does not speak well.

Originally Posted by Ws6
For the Audi to have such an absurdly high warranty, given the equipment similarity, does not speak well.
Cost of servicing, repairs, and extended warranties are commensurate with the cost of the vehicle in this case, IMO. You get to pay premium for everything related to a premium vehicle.

Just lease one for 4 years, enjoy the car, and never worry about any costly out of warranty repairs. You know EXACTLY how much the car will cost you. Plus, basic maintenance is often included with the luxury brands. It's up to you to decide if you are willing to pay that amount.

Given the mind numbing complexity of virtually every modern car, I'm starting to think this is the way to go for any brand.

This should end well.

35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back