Toyota Save Mart 350 at Sonoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave123
All day sitting at Road America watching race 10 min ride home now watching nascar race that's a full day.

BTW I'd take Road America any day of the week over any road course in North America.

Road America is an awesome track. I have been to races at Long Beach and COTA, not a fan of only seeing the cars for a few seconds a lap. I do want to go to see the Cup race at the Charlotte Roval.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Chase Elliott reports no/low oil pressure.

Not looking good for my guys Larson, Elliott

TrueX wins at Sonoma

[Linked Image]

Unofficial results:

1. Truex Jr
2. Kyle Busch
3. Blaney,
4. DiBenedetto
5. Hamlin
6. Harvick
7. Newman
8. Jones
9. Almirola
10. Larson

I watched the trilogy Sunday and have this reaction.

1. IndyCar at Road America

This was the most interesting race of the weekend despite the disappearance of leader Rossi. Road America is the best road course in the US—at least for these cars. High speed, plenty of places to pass, 4 miles, elevation, all types of corners. Excellent.

2. NASCAR at Sonoma

Why do I find NASCAR road races to be their best events? Passing, door banging, constant aggressive driving, pit strategy. Now please get rid of the stupid stages and you'll have a real race. The 24 was the best car on the track in segment one then disappeared for the rest of the race. Weird how the teams are incented not to win the stages.

3. F1 at Paul Ricard

A study of everything that's wrong with F1. The race is over after qualifying, the single team dominance is so boring and predictable that you don't need to watch to know what's going to happen and this track is just awful. Add in surly spoiled drivers like VET and one has to wonder how this series stays alive.

NASCAR road races are their best, I agree as well. Super speedways, Indianapolis and short tracks are where it's at. With that said, I think Indy cars are better on the intermediate ovals than NASCAR. Usually plenty of Indy cars in the lead pack and dang exciting coming to the end of a race, NASCAR not so much in most cases. F1 is irrelevant as has been pointed out, they run qualifying and its over.

Question: How are teams not incented to win the stages? There is strategy in forgoing a stage win to pit and get track position to win the 2nd stage or win the race if it's the 3rd stage.

Originally Posted by Warstud
I thought you would be at the race

Thought about it, but it is hot there and I am not a fan of sitting in the heat. Plus you can see so much more on TV. And I wanted to see DW's last call.

I live south of Sears Point, I've always wanted to go - but haven't made plans. An old childhood acquaintance was a huge NASCAR fan and loved Jeff Gordon. His family would load up an RV and make the 30 minute trek from Pinole to Sears Point on race weekend. He passed away a few years ago.

The Road America race was a snooze fest. I will concede the point that it was on free over the air TV, and I did not have to pay to watch commercials.

So the way the stage breaks work can be complicated. The top 10 finishers in each stage are awarded points from 10-1 and the winner of the stage is awarded a "playoff point" which is carried over for the playoff in case points are needed to advance. Cars which have already qualified for the playoffs via a race win or who haven't yet won and feel their best chance is with winning the race, will use the road course races, or ovals with a long lap time like Pocono and forego the regular points or a single playoff point. Cars which haven't already qualified for the playoffs will take the playoff and regular points to help their chances to make it in via points. To qualify for the playoffs in Cup you either need a race win and be in the top 30 in points or be the highest non winner with the largest points total that can fill out the field of 16 to qualify to the playoffs.

Generally what happens at a stage break at a road course or longer oval like Pocono, is cars will pit prior to the end of the stage, before the pits are closed with 2 to go in the stage. They will eventually cycle to the front when the remainder of the cars pit under the caution period following the green/white checkered stage end. You can get away with it at the road courses and Pocono/IMS because the lap times are long enough where you can pit and cycle out without going a lap down. If you are the first car a lap down you get the beneficiary rule or "lucky dog" and are allowed to take the wave-around and pit and restart ahead of the normal wave-around cars and anyone with a penalty.

Hope that made sense. For me I subscribe to RaceView which gives a overhead view of the track with the cars location ahead of the TV broadcast. I also listen to the officials channel to hear all the penalties before they are read on TV.

Originally Posted by HemiBenny
I am so glad that they went back to the full course! I'm hoping that Blaney can get this season's monkey off of his back today. Maybe his power steering holds up, unlike last year. You know his arms had to feel like jello after that race.

Now we just need Watkins Glen to run the Boot. I am a huge Blaney fan, I was/am a fan of his dad's. Especially being a Ford person and Dave Blaney winning the only WoO title in a genuinely Ford powered car.

I am in a weird spot as for who my favorite driver is. It was Sr, then Tony Stewart. With Tony retiring I am having to pick a new driver. Tossing up between Larson, Blaney, and Bubba Wallace.

Yeah, I've noticed Blaney is pretty old school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back