Mahle 180713CJ2 (OEM Hyundai) C&P, 4,683 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an Mahle 180713CJ2 filter from my 2018 Santa Fe. 14,983 on vehicle, 4,683 miles on filter.
I know Mahle is the OEM filter for Hyundai/Kia, but it has a different number than OEM. This filter was put in by the selling dealer (an Acura dealer).
Oil was Delo XLS 10w-30 that was in for 2,998 miles (changed whatever dealer oil was in there ~12,000 miles, but left the filter in).

Fiber end cap:
[Linked Image]

Plastic end cap:
[Linked Image]

Slightly wide spacing at the seam, but the rest was great:
[Linked Image]

All cut apart, I tried to tear it apart with just my hands, but not happening:
[Linked Image]

There were some orange bits in the media, maybe some gasket sealer??
[Linked Image]

Little closer pics:
[Linked Image]

Put in some Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 and another OEM Mahle filter:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Average of 19 mph, and 71.5 hours on the oil:
[Linked Image]

I also screwed up this change, something I have never done.
I installed an EZ-Drain (similar to Fumoto) this change, and forgot to close the valve, I had added 5.5 of 6 qts when I realized what happened.
Well, at least the engine got a nice internal rinse. Luckily it was some clearance oil with rebate, so was only ~$5 of oil wasted, but still mad at myself.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Does Hyundai spec 10w-30 for this engine?

Does my LC (Toyota) spec 5w40 (10w40 was my previous fill) ???
Does my Yaris (Toyota) spec VW 504/507 oil???

Dont be (too) funny dude
smile.gif

Last edited:

Hyundai allows 10w30 down to zero for both gdi and non gdi.

Filter looks ok to me, no big red flags that I can see and looks like it held up well. My Sedona uses cartridge filters. The OE's are pretty well made and decently priced @ about $10'ish, sometimes cheaper.. it's a bit cheaper to use aftermarket from Fram, Wix, Champ Labs and Ecogard - I've used all of them at some point without issues. They're all constructed very similar to the OE (pleat count, inner O-rings).

If I'm not mistaken Mahle is OE supplier, yes? I know M+H Korea makes the OE for mine.

Last edited:
Nice work OP. Thanks for the great pics. Your Santa Fe will serve you well for many years.

5w-30 is the "recommended" and on the oil cap, but 10w-30 and 5w-40 are also on the list.

It is rarely below 32F here, never below 20F, so a 10w is just fine.

Originally Posted by wemay
Nice work OP. Thanks for the great pics. Your Santa Fe will serve you well for many years.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

If I'm not mistaken Mahle is OE supplier, yes? I know M+H Korea makes the OE for mine.

Yup, Mahle seems to be a solid filter. I was going to buy an Ultra, but they were not making them till just recently. I bought 4 OEM a while back for < $30.

Weird that Mahle is the OEM for these while Mann and Hummel Korea are the OEM for spin ons.
Nice filter none the less, plan on using Mahle spin ons I got for cheap on RockAuto for my truck.

Originally Posted by blupupher

5w-30 is the "recommended" and on the oil cap, but 10w-30 and 5w-40 are also on the list.

It is rarely below 32F here, never below 20F, so a 10w is just fine.

I knew this was a thing on the older Hyundai's. I'm glad to see they are still doing it!

Yup, Mahle seems to be a solid filter. I was going to buy an Ultra, but they were not making them till just recently. I bought 4 OEM a while back for < $30.

Not a bad price for 4 filters given how well constructed they appear to be.👠You could easily do worse.

Nice ride btw, I'm jealous ..... quick question, you said you went with the EzDrain...how do you like it? Pro's/Con's?? I've been kicking around the idea of using one of those quick drain plugs, when you've got a bad back like I do... the less time spent under the car, the better. I haven't pulled the trigger on getting one because of my fear that it would get knocked open by something the car kicks up. Do you see that as a potential issue with the EzDrain???

Last edited:

Nice ride btw, I'm jealous ..... quick question, you said you went with the EzDrain...how do you like it? Pro's/Con's?? I've been kicking around the idea of using one of those quick drain plugs, when you've got a bad back like I do... the less time spent under the car, the better. I haven't pulled the trigger on getting one because of my fear that it would get knocked open by something the car kicks up. Do you see that as a potential issue with the EzDrain???

Thanks. Wife loves it, and since it is hers, that's all that matters.

I decided to try the EZ-Drain this time instead of the Fumoto because it was a few bucks cheaper. They are very similar design, I think the biggest difference is material (I think the Fumoto is brass, EZ-Drain is stainless?).
On the Santa Fe, the drain hole faces backwards and the valve is completely protected and plenty of access to the valve lever. The lever has a detent in it to prevent accidental opening, and Fumoto sells a little clip that can go over that for double the protection.
You just need to make sure that the vehicle you put it on has a drain hole in a place that does not expose the valve to the possibility of getting broken off.
I can take a pic of mine later if you want (as well as the other vehicles I have them on, one of which is borderline too exposed.

Thanks. Wife loves it, and since it is hers, that's all that matters.

I decided to try the EZ-Drain this time instead of the Fumoto because it was a few bucks cheaper. They are very similar design, I think the biggest difference is material (I think the Fumoto is brass, EZ-Drain is stainless?).
On the Santa Fe, the drain hole faces backwards and the valve is completely protected and plenty of access to the valve lever. The lever has a detent in it to prevent accidental opening, and Fumoto sells a little clip that can go over that for double the protection.
You just need to make sure that the vehicle you put it on has a drain hole in a place that does not expose the valve to the possibility of getting broken off.
I can take a pic of mine later if you want (as well as the other vehicles I have them on, one of which is borderline too exposed.

That would be awesome. Thanks ðŸ‘

For my 2017 Hyundai Elantra with the 2.0, 10w30 is listed in the owner's manual as acceptable for temps above 0*. I've been running 5w30 for the past year and a half, but will give the 10w30 a go at my next oil change.

L8R,
Matt

Last edited:

That would be awesome. Thanks ðŸ‘

Here is the Santa Fe:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is the Scion xB. It looks very exposed, but really is not:
[Linked Image]

Here is my F150. This is most exposed of the 3 I have. Since it never goes off road or anything like that, I am not worried about it.
[Linked Image]

The little lever does sit below the front sub-frame and could be an issue for some.
[Linked Image]

That's one fiber endcapped filter I would use. I can see the seals top and bottom we're good and the endcaps are aligned perfectly.
I also think the recent acdelco filters look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back