Sprinter Gen 2 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend recently purchased a 2015 Mercedes Sprinter class B motorhome. He tells me it's a V6 diesel that requires the 229.51 Mercedes spec. Is Pennzoil platinum 5W-30 euro L up to the challenge of a 10K oci ? I know it's a mid saps GTL based synthetic and it carries the 229.51 spec but I've never considered this a long drain oil. It holds 13.2 quarts of oil so maybe that makes up the difference I don't know. What would be your suggestion for a 10K oci ? Also what's a good oil filter for the same oci ? Thanks.

229.51 is superseded by 229.52.
16K OCI should be good for that engine and year as per MB. I ran a fleet of 400 Sprinters with the 3.0L and that was the OCI.
10K is a piece of cake, or annually,.
Use the OE MB filter. Not cheap but that is one item I would say go OE on.

Initially in the Ram/Jeep EcoDiesel world the manual specifically read, Euro L 5W-30, saw alot of data on this oil, not particularly a fan of it. Consistently saw Iron numbers close to 100ppm. Saw better numbers from Mobil1 ESP 5W-30.

If you want an oil with more protection that slightly bends the rules, Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30. Harder to find, it meets CK-4 and ACEA E6 which causes the manufacture to lower the SAPS and limit Zinc/Phos to 800ppm. From Lubrizol -

ACEA E6-16 oils are low SAPS Ultra High Performance Diesel (UHPD) lubricants designed for use in severe duty, long drain applications.

ACEA recommends their use in vehicles fitted with aftertreatment systems for the reduction of particulate matter (DPFs) and oxides of nitrogen (EGR and/or SCR), in combination with low sulphur diesel fuel.

That chassis is at or near load capacity. It should be viewed as severe service and not run on 10k oci's. The valvoline 5-40 mst is a good oil that can be found on sale at napa. It meets the 229.51 spec

Originally Posted by Ammofirst
How do the valvoline mst oils measure up ? I think NAPA puts them on sale occasionally

I used it in BMW X5 35d. Excellent oil.

Originally Posted by Ammofirst
How do the valvoline mst oils measure up ? I think NAPA puts them on sale occasionally

Valvoline has 2 compliant oils.

Valvoline SynPower B-Tec C3 5W-30 x The Valvoline Company, LEXINGTON, KY/USA
Valvoline SynPower MST C3 5W-30 x The Valvoline Company, LEXINGTON, KY/USA

Never once seen these on a shelf anywhere in Southern California

Mobil 1 ESP is compliant which is also hard to get

Ravenol has a formulation you can get.

The list Mercedes keeps is a joke - you'd think by looking at the list one could locate this rated oil everywhere- it is very hard to find 229.52 on a shelf where I live.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.52_en.html

UD

Last edited:
Mobil 1 ESP will work fine. Ebay and AMZN has it at prices much better than most parts stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back