oil analysis to show fuel dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked the oil on my '01 7.3 and it was a tad bit overfull. I haven't checked it for awhile but don't remember it being that full. I heard Blackstone doesn't give the most accurate fuel readings. Who shall I go with to get the oil sampled? Thanks

I use WIX oil samplers, sold by NAPA, and at one time online, which are done by ALS Tribology in several parts of USA. From what I could find several years ago when I started using them, they are highly rated (ALS that is).

I don't see where WIX tests for fuel dilution at all...or am I missing something? Per the title to the thread, OP wanted fuel reading.

Originally Posted by Impatient
I don't see where WIX tests for fuel dilution at all...or am I missing something? Per the title to the thread, OP wanted fuel reading.
You did not miss anything, but I did as did the other poster. Unless WIX has changed recently, they do not test for fuel dilution, they only show the viscosity (and all of the other normal tests). Horizon/Polaris would be the lab to use for fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by Impatient
You did not miss anything, but I did as did the other poster. Unless WIX has changed recently, they do not test for fuel dilution, they only show the viscosity (and all of the other normal tests).

Admittedly, it has been a couple years since I've used ALS (via NAPA, WIX, Delvac Accutrack), but yes they do indeed test for fuel and soot in diesel oil samples. I can't speak for their methodology or criteria for testing, but it's at least listed on their reports.

Now with PCMO samples, I don't recall seeing fuel listed in the results from ALS and I'm betting that's why you guys are thinking that ALS doesn't test for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jfairchild327
Done. Ordered it off amazon. $13. Thank you

If you need more in the future - $9.57 each

WIX UOA @ Rock Auto

Does that include testing at that price? Thats really inexpensive. Last ones I bought several years ago were in $18-20 range.

Originally Posted by tc1446

WIX UOA @ Rock Auto

Does that include testing at that price? Thats really inexpensive. Last ones I bought several years ago were in $18-20 range.
Yes, but not shipping. I bought a handful of them a while back and have used a few with no issues.

Originally Posted by tc1446

WIX UOA @ Rock Auto

Yes, but not shipping. I bought a handful of them a while back and have used a few with no issues.

Good deal...I just ordered four. Thanks for link.

I sent a sample to ALS in Calgary.

They don't do GC fuel dilution on Gas Engine oil.

They do calculate fuel dilution on diesel motor oil however, probably through flash point interpolation

If you want a real fuel dilution value, and not a guess, use a lab that actually measures fuel via gas chromotagraphy (GC). Polaris is an example of such a lab.

Labs that guess based on flash are useless for fuel numbers. Blackstone for example will say "trace" for oil that has 5+% fuel in it, because they guess and dont use GC.

Originally Posted by claluja
If you want a real fuel dilution value, and not a guess, use a lab that actually measures fuel via gas chromotagraphy (GC). Polaris is an example of such a lab.

Labs that guess based on flash are useless for fuel numbers. Blackstone for example will say "trace" for oil that has 5+% fuel in it, because they guess and dont use GC.

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back