195/65-14 Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for tires for my 1987 BMW 325es. Choices seem to be very limited. Car is driven seldom so I don't want to spend a lot. Seems like Nankang , Falken or Doral are available, mostly online, also Vredestein from Tire Rack. The problem with online tires is, what do you do if there is a problem? I think I would rather keep my 10 year old Falkens on there than buy Nankangs! Back in my motorcycle days Nankangs were the Tire From [censored].

Any suggestions?

Generals are (were?) also available in that size, I have them on my 2002 w/ e30 wheels, but I would go with the Vredesteins. I've had Vredesteins on at least one of my classics for 25+ years. My go-to tire for my cars requiring oddball sizes.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Put 195/70-14's on it. Not much of a difference and a popular size.

+1. That size came was on a lot of Cavaliers. So there's still plenty to go around.

I was thinking maybe 195/60-14. The gearing is very tall in this car and a slightly smaller diameter might improve the acceleration a bit.

Tirerack- use one of their approved installers. If there is a problem with the tire, then Tirerack will reimburse the installer for their time. Or, if you have a favorite local installer, find the tire on Tirerack or Discount Tire and see if your tire shop can order and price match. I have been a long time customer of Tirerack, and they certainly stepped up and covered bad tires on two different occasions. Complete replacement for Goodyear Wrangler LT tires on my Suburban (which also generated a manufacturer voluntary recall), and Dunlop perf tires on my car. I have mentioned these problems before, but I never get to rave about the 10-12 sets of great tires and service where I had zero problems ! Unlike my local Mr Tire that I tried once and they completely buggered up my car.

Last edited:
Why not switch to a slightly taller and narrower 185/70/14?
There's many more choices in that size.

Considering your speedo (as on many old BMW's) read faster than actual speed, it'll help correct the discrepancy.
The taller, and narrower profile will give you better fuel efficiency too!

On my e30, I went a step down from 16;s to 15s (195/65/15).
I'm enjoying better handling and fuel economy.

Oh and btw, nice car! My first BMW was an 86 325es with stick and houndstooth sport cloth interior.
Really miss that torquy little 2.7 with low gearing!

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Considering your speedo (as on many old BMW's) read faster than actual speed, it'll help correct the discrepancy.

Didn't the odo read properly though--I've always read that the German government would hand out heavy fines if the speedometer read low (and caused someone to speed unintentionally), thus German cars as a rule read a few % fast. But the odometer should be right on the mark.

Originally Posted by ArPix

I was thinking maybe 195/60-14. The gearing is very tall in this car and a slightly smaller diameter might improve the acceleration a bit.
I had the opposite problem, with gearing that was too short. Went all the way from 175x70x14 inch tires, to 205x65x15 inch tires. My car handles better AND I get better MPG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton

Didn't the odo read properly though--I've always read that the German government would hand out heavy fines if the speedometer read low (and caused someone to speed unintentionally), thus German cars as a rule read a few % fast. But the odometer should be right on the mark.

Should be, but for those who have had experience with these old cars, the odometer actually jumps a little each time you turn the ignition (when starting the car).
It's isn't much, but over time it also falsely adds up to slightly inflated mileage.

Originally Posted by supton

Should be, but for those who have had experience with these old cars, the odometer actually jumps a little each time you turn the ignition (when starting the car).
It's isn't much, but over time it also falsely adds up to slightly inflated mileage.

Really? Weird. Wonder why. Maybe they have a sensor reading the speed, and it's firing off pulses at start up.

Thanks for all of the replies. A local tire shop says they can install Doral tires for $270 out the door, in the stock size. Any thoughts on these?

I thought Dorals used to be cigarettes.

Either way.

Smoke'm if you got em!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back