Polaris Lab/Oil Analyzers Fuel Dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lab recently flagged my UOA for critical fuel dilution. It was at 5%, viscosity only slightly out of grade for 5W-30, TBN was above 2, below average amount of wear metals after 4k OCI. They added their."canned" response,

"Check for source of FUEL LEAK. Fuel is at a SEVERE LEVEL. Fuel dilution may be caused by component faults related to injectors, ignition/timing, or excessive blow-by. Additional causes include heavy throttle application, engine lugging, frequent short trips and excessive idling. FUEL DILUTION reduces the viscosity of the lubricant which decreases FILM STRENGTH and LUBRICITY and may lead to increased wear."

I have had previous lengthy discussions with them about whether this is actually Critical Fuel Dilution, but they maintain their stance, despite their own TSB stating that upwards of 7% is typical for a GDI engine. I had already spent fair amount of money replacing components. I finally told them to go read their own bulletin and re-consider the results of the UOA.

"Flagged data does not indicate an immediate need for maintenance action. Continue to observe the trend and monitor equipment and fluid conditions....FUEL DILUTION reduces the viscosity of the lubricant which decreases FILM STRENGTH and LUBRICITY and may lead to increased wear."

What is frustrating is the analyst have only 60 seconds for each report and have to resort to using canned responses, and it is a different person each time. I had a decrease of Boron by 75%, but no comment, and when I asked, they said they cannot identify each additive variation, and was unable to comment or provide any information about the loss of Boron. The New Fluid Reference was right there on the report, but they could not comment on it.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

I normally send my samples out to Blackstone. Awhile back I sent one to both OAI and Blackstone to compare. Most readings were what I consider close while a few were different by a decent margin.

What gets me is the sample info sent in clearly stated it was from my Subie, the brand of oil and weight used, and that it was a OEM filter.

The report I got back listed my engine type as a diesel lol. They also claim they did not know the oil brand and grade. Lastly wanted more filter info like micron rating.

They noted abnormal fuel dilution at 3.6% I did not notice anything abnormal with viscosity readings.

My opinion is that if they can't enter my application information correctly along with oil smaple info sent. I have no interest to use their service again. Was also given the canned fuel dilution statement about possible causes.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
I normally send my samples out to Blackstone. Awhile back I sent one to both OAI and Blackstone to compare. Most readings were what I consider close while a few were different by a decent margin.

What gets me is the sample info sent in clearly stated it was from my Subie, the brand of oil and weight used, and that it was a OEM filter.

The report I got back listed my engine type as a diesel lol. They also claim they did not know the oil brand and grade. Lastly wanted more filter info like micron rating.

They noted abnormal fuel dilution at 3.6% I did not notice anything abnormal with viscosity readings.

My opinion is that if they can't enter my application information correctly along with oil smaple info sent. I have no interest to use their service again. Was also given the canned fuel dilution statement about possible causes.

I have been complaining for a year about their paper sample forms and the numerous mistakes they make just entering the info. They handle 3-4k samples per day. This is not Oil Analyzers, but Polaris Labs. I even setup a direct account, and no better service.

I recently sent in a second New Lube Reference (VOA) because I changed oil make. They added to the existing report and then flagged the additive difference between the NLR and used sample and suggested that there were a significant decrease, and out of norms for what they have seen. I had to point out the mistake in their illogic. They also cannot have more than one reference fluid sample shown in the report. Even if they are separated by many months and samples between. Their reports are hard coded. I have to create a new Component ID and start a new report history every time I change the oil type.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
If you want expert commentary go to Dyson.

You are paying $20 (rough) for the test. That only gets a few minutes of the tech's time.

If you tell them they will not enter any information and comments, which I find more often than more helpful.

If Dyson would come down on their Existing Report Interpretation ($100) I would consider it. Even the basic is $79. "Terry will overview the results of the data for lab test accuracy only." "Non-Interpreted Analysis" This is the only description and it does not make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back