safest way to remove bug residue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello friends!
So we just returned from a 2000 mile round trip road trip. Nebraska and Iowa have a lot of bugs! I've never really had to deal with this type of detailing problem before and tackled it today with a lot of elbow grease, my Meguiars wax and a MF towel. They were all over my clear bra covered front bumper and grill.

Is there something like a bug scrubby pad or similar folks have used that they would recommend for next time around? Of course, using something that is absolutely clear coat and clear bra safe is paramount. I was never much into the solvent based bug removers I remember from the past so am hoping there is something more advanced available these days.

TIA for suggestions!

All purpose cleaner. I use Optimum Power Clean diluted 3:1 and allow it to soak for about a minute. Then I wash it down with a dripping-wet MF mitt and car wash soap.

Works every time.

Last edited:
I use a spray bottle of water and car wash soap to presoak the bugs before washing. Works pretty well. I wouldn't use an APC if you can help it because it can degrade your wax.

If I want to remove the bugs in between washes I'll use a spray bottle with an ONR mix. The Optimum No Rinse has lubrication to protect the paint but doesn't leave soap residue.

Car wash first and for whatever does not come off - I use some Turtle Wax spray wax and a soft towel to finish and leave a coating on the front of the hood and painted parts of the front end ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2010Civic
I use a spray bottle of water and car wash soap to presoak the bugs before washing. Works pretty well. I wouldn't use an APC if you can help it because it can degrade your wax.

If I want to remove the bugs in between washes I'll use a spray bottle with an ONR mix. The Optimum No Rinse has lubrication to protect the paint but doesn't leave soap residue.

The "safest" method is the method requiring the least amount of contact. APC will almost melt the bugs with appropriate dwell time.

Clear Bra cannot be polished; he can always re-apply protection. Most clear bra materials have a built-in layer of sealant anyway.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by 2010Civic

The "safest" method is the method requiring the least amount of contact. APC will almost melt the bugs with appropriate dwell time.

Clear Bra cannot be polished; he can always re-apply protection. Most clear bra materials have a built-in layer of sealant anyway.

Nothing wrong with using APC and the Optimum Power Clean is a good one. After the final rinse you could use spray wax as you dry to add protection back to that area.

The best for cleaning bugs anywhere on car is Turtle Wax Tar and Bug.

I even got a lot of black scratches on my white car from Orange construction barrel.

It looked like a $1000 fix, but Bug and Tar took it right off to where it's good enough.

Last edited:
1st presoak as mentioned.

2nd I use the )))HOTTEST((( water that my hands can stand while wearing heavy rubber gloves along with a soft sponge.

Originally Posted by NissanMaxima
Hello friends!
Is there something like a bug scrubby pad or similar folks have used that they would recommend for next time around?

I use this every time I wash; it's great for removing dead bugs and little bits of tar.
Bug Sponge

Originally Posted by Char Baby
1st presoak as mentioned.

2nd I use the )))HOTTEST((( water that my hands can stand while wearing heavy rubber gloves along with a soft sponge.

This

Originally Posted by 40w8
The best for cleaning bugs anywhere on car is Turtle Wax Tar and Bug.

Because it is a foam this works extremely well given a little dwell time. Not so great on tar but A-1 on bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back