Seeking Advice Choosing Wheel Locks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to decide which of these 2 locks will fit my 2015. Amazon says either will fit, but I don't think they're taking into account my specific wheel, which is shown. I believe the package without the blue label is the better fit. The non-labelled package says it has a mag seat, which is what I believe I have. My lug nut is also shown.

Thanks for any help.

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 4.02.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 4.01.21 PM.png

fullsizeoutput_d87.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d88.jpeg

Personally I think wheel locks are more trouble than they are worth, but if you feel you have to have them neither of those are correct. There are Toyota specific locking lugs available for Toyota/Lexus. You must have the mag shank with the attached washer that look like the OE nut. Just never lose the key, or let someone use an impact wrench on them. I don't think anyone would want to steal those wheels anyway.

Originally Posted by Traction
Personally I think wheel locks are more trouble than they are worth, but if you feel you have to have them neither of those are correct. There are Toyota specific locking lugs available for Toyota/Lexus. You must have the mag shank with the attached washer that look like the OE nut. Just never lose the key, or let someone use an impact wrench on them. I don't think anyone would want to steal those wheels anyway.

100% agree.

Not only do you have a mag seat, but check how many lug threads stick out through your wheel. Ensure any aftermarket lugs go deep into your wheel like the OE ones do, so they grab enough thread-- at least 8 rotations on a M12x1.5 stud.

The need for these would depend on where you live, I guess, but realistically I'd just lower my insurance deductible if I was concerned about wheel theft.

I take all styles of wheel locks off at the junk yard by smashing a socket over the outside of the "lock" and cordless-impacting them out. I see these have a rotating outer core.. Interesting, but I am betting someone who is looking to pull wheel will have figured out this "security feature" as well..

Just saying this because if thieves really did want your wheels, these little guys would do absolutely nothing to stop them.

Last edited:
Watched a tech at a dealership remove 4 wheel locks from a trade in with missing key in about 2 minutes ... Cordless impact with a removal tool. Brutally fast and efficient.

Don't waste your money. These locks MIGHT stop an amateur, who probably isn't looking for factory wheels anyway ...

I agree the ones without the blue sticker (or area as the case may be) appear to be the correct ones... at least the seat style...

Also agree probably a waste...

I am in the save your money boat. I haven't run wheel locks in the last 20 years. And with the wheels shown in the picture I think you need not worry.

Originally Posted by Traction
Personally I think wheel locks are more trouble than they are worth

01.gif

All they have to do is hammer on a socket that's just smaller than the wheel lock
27.gif

It's also what you'll have to do when you lose the key
mad.gif

Wheel locks stop impulse thieves and amateurs. And they slow down pros, depending on the wheel lock. I caught a thief in the act because they got slowed down enough for me to catch them. I had a Vette before that- no locks, and I lost a set of wheels. Recently my buddy who owns a Ram 2500 , and lives in a very nice area, lost a full set of factory wheels- no locks. I am not sure about Gorilla, but McGard maintains a registry of owners and keys, and can replace a key in a few days if you loose it- that happened to me for a boat trailer wheel locks. Also, there are certain locks that are almost impossible to defeat, but are usually specialty items like for boat outdrives. Nothing is foolproof though- I have the Snapon tool for removing wheel locks, although I find its only 50% effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back