Corner lot cutters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love it how the drivers that are clearly in the wrong are always so quick flip off drivers who are not breaking the law. I was flipped off a few days back at the post office when a moron was driving the wrong way in the parking lot and he flips me off like I am in the wrong. It really leaves one shaking the head at these idiots.

Call it whining if you wish,but if you or one of your passengers was nearly ran over by one of these corner lot cutting, speeding,reckless, morons you would have a much different outlook. Have a nice day dude!!

Be a good way for the cities to extract some extra $$, but I think in most cities the police have their hands full with the chronic red light runners and speeders. An unmarked police car at heavily violated corners would probably be the best way to catch most of the offenders. But certainly catching the chronic speeders and red light runners is a higher priority I imagine.

THat is a major issue as well.. the people who are in the right turn only lane and decide to go straight or the left turn only people who suddenly decide to go straight and on occasion there is the driver in the thru lane who suddenly decides to go left or right. Annoying yes , but more than that is is downright dangerous. To drive defensively nowdays I always just try and imagine "what is the stupidest driving move that could possibly happen" and what are my options ,then then be ready for it to happen.. many many times it does.

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
I share my morning commute with one of these drivers. They'll cut a little strip mall and an auto shop. Then later down they'll sit the the right turn lane at an intersection.

If I'm bored and in front of them, I'll stop with plenty of space cutting their short cut. Or keep up with their pace while they try to cut the right turn only lane and merge in.

We'll make eye contact. They'll flip me off. I wave. Rinse and repeat.

Be careful of that one. I was in the same situation 15 yrs or so ago when some guy would constantly pass me and everyone else on the left on a no-passing 2 lane road. At times they would pass 4-6 vehicles in a line until someone showed up in the other direction. There were some close calls. Their maneuvers to pass everyone over a 3 mile stretch to the highway was incredible. I watched them do this for about 2 yrs, and at times I purposely sped up or down to prevent them from passing me. A few times I just pulled off the road and let them go by. One day it escalated to the on ramp of the highway where I wouldn't let them pass me. Once on the highway the guy gunned it, blew by me, shifted into my lane at 70 mph with 1-2 car lengths .....and jammed on his brakes hard. I nearly rammed his rear end - was lucky to avoid a collision. From that point on I didn't actively engage the jerk any more. Fortunately, they moved away a short time later and I (and the entire town) didn't have to put up with this guy. Ironically, he always posted a sign in his driveway stating "slow down for the kids." The same roads he was abusing where the ones his kids played on. This jerk had a 10 mile commute to work but had to save that 60 seconds each day by driving like a lunatic. I've not seen his kind before or since.

Not sure what the fine is here, but in my buddy's case the drivers who cut through his carpet cleaning corner lo lot thought that they were Special or did not think the sign applied to them and drove over or around the orange cones. Parking his trailer or a couple of vehicles in such a way as to block them was the only thing that stopped them. It was kind of fun to watch the morons pull in and then get around the corner and find out it was blocked with a vehicle. Cost them more time in the long run to time to turn around and go back than they would have spent waiting out the light. Instant karma. LOL!

Originally Posted by BJD78
Call it whining if you wish,but if you or one of your passengers was nearly ran over by one of these corner lot cutting, speeding,reckless, morons you would have a much different outlook. Have a nice day dude!!

Really? I'd have a different outlook? What is my opinion on the topic, exactly?

I have offered up no opinion other than that these types of threads are full of fruitless complaining and serve no purpose other than to help the OP feel righteous in his indignation.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by atikovi
Does this include taking a back road to avoid a toll booth?

Since when is that illegal???

... or dangerous?

The guy trying to make an analogy of back roads vs. toll roads is trolling.

Last edited:
..in the right turn only lane and decide to go straight or the left turn only people who suddenly decide to go straight and on occasion there is the driver in the thru lane who suddenly decides to go left or right. Annoying yes , but more than that is is downright dangerous.

Those are also illegal. When you arrive at an intersection in a turn-only lane, you must make the turn. If an intersection has turn lanes, you can't turn from the other lanes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
I see it all the time. There's a gas station nearby that has a split driveway on the main road that only allows eastbound traffic to enter and folks exiting to turn right. Lots of signs posted saying "no left turn" and "do not enter" facing westbound, but that doesn't seem to stop westbound folks from bypassing the traffic light at the corner and making a left into the driveway that's pointing away from them. Doesn't seem to matter that they have to turn extra wide unless they drive over the curb. Also doesn't matter to them that they hold up folks in the left turn lane who are waiting to turn on the left arrow.

There's a walmart parking lot here with the same entrance and signs posted....I really wish there was some way to install spikes there.

Originally Posted by mk378
..in the right turn only lane and decide to go straight or the left turn only people who suddenly decide to go straight and on occasion there is the driver in the thru lane who suddenly decides to go left or right. Annoying yes , but more than that is is downright dangerous.

Those are also illegal. When you arrive at an intersection in a turn-only lane, you must make the turn. If an intersection has turn lanes, you can't turn from the other lanes.

Here we have medians that have breaks in them for cross-traffic to turn onto the [45mph] main road and people think they're allowed to take u-turns there. They end up blocking one whole lane of traffic on a busy street just so they can take a u-turn for portillos or Target.

Chrome wheels with big spokes that stick way out into traffic are very illegal, but cops never ticket anyone for them.

Loud music is illegal.

Bro truck with wide wheels are illegal.

Not much gets written up like it used to...

I feel more righteous that the moron who almost ran me over. BTW, who cares if these threads are filled up with So called "fruitless complaining" ? Topics come and go on here by the thousands. Done with your fake drama. Have a nice day now.

Gotta admit, I do it almost every day, especially when there's 4-5 cars waiting at the light, because without fail, the guy leading the pack is totally unaware that it's legal to turn right on red. I don't cut through the gas station parking lot, however, but they were nice enough to put an "access road" behind several businesses in the strip mall. Very handy when there's a dummy at the head of the line.

Cut.jpg

I have not seen many of the big spoked wheels around here,but LPD police can and do ticket these gang banger type "boom cars" usually $500.00 cars with $5K stereos that drive around blasting deep bass rap at 10000000 decibles rattling house windows in a 5 block radius in the middle of the night. They do seem to enforce that law, which is a good thing.

The tire store I worked at had corner cutters blasting through. We also didn't maintain our parking lot-- it was full of potholes and there was one bathtub-sized doozie. Made for good suspension/ clunking noise diagnosis though.

Originally Posted by eljefino
The tire store I worked at had corner cutters blasting through. We also didn't maintain our parking lot-- it was full of potholes and there was one bathtub-sized doozie. Made for good suspension/ clunking noise diagnosis though.

It really is a dangerous practice and it's a wonder more pedestrians do not get injured or killed. Usually the idiots are speeding and driving recklessly as well. Nothing quite like instant Karma. Waiting for a red light to turn green is always going to be way cheaper than suspension work. LOL!

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Gotta admit, I do it almost every day, especially when there's 4-5 cars waiting at the light, because without fail, the guy leading the pack is totally unaware that it's legal to turn right on red. I don't cut through the gas station parking lot, however, but they were nice enough to put an "access road" behind several businesses in the strip mall. Very handy when there's a dummy at the head of the line.

Plus you can stop and grab a Kolache...

Digging around Google for a while about US laws yielded the following.

At least in Pennsylvania and probably a handful of other states, it's not illegal at all. I don't see any reference to it in NC, either, but I'm not a lawyer. It's still not a good idea of course, and most places, it won't save any time anyway.

Most states have language that makes it illegal to cross private property or "leave the roadway" to avoid a signal.

A few states including Arizona, Florida, Virginia, and New Jersey make it illegal to go around lights on public streets as well. I doubt this is enforced much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back