105k civic r18 valvetrain pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by gathermewool
No one should care about the varnish. It means NOTHING. Stop listening to any poster who tells you to do this or that to fix the varnish.

I've never heard that and this 👇 article by a gentleman who has extensive experience with lubricants and serves as a U.S. delegate to the ISO tribology and oil analysis working groups, seems to disagree with your assertion that varnish is "nothing" to worry about.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/268/oil-sludge-varnish

My understanding is that varnish and sludge are the product of oil degradation, so in just my lay observation seems the OP's running that Amsoil too long. I don't use high end oils at all and when I did my valve covers i didn't have nearly that much varnish. I had some but not that much. But hey, every car and every driver and their habits are different so maybe that's considered a somewhat "normal" amount of varnish for a Honda engine with that many miles. Dunno... just seems odd to me to see that amount of varnish given how expensive and supposedly how high quality Amsoil is but that's purely a subjective observation on my part and I could be way off.

If the OP showed us a picture of cam-lobes, cylinder liners or any other machined surface that could be damaged by varnish, then I'd agree with you.

Please re-read the article you posted in the correct context, NOT in the context of some baked on, thermally oxidized NON-machine surfaces...under a hot, splash-lubricated location of under a valve cover, of all places.

And that is why I'm changing my tune a bit. I was a bit shocked and freaked out when I first seen it. I probably shouldn't have made this post.

Only the rockers and head are varnished. All moving parts are nice and shiney.

Since the valve adjustment it is running better then new. Reminds of how my first motor ran. This engine just never felt right and now it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back