Honda cvt fluid change frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2019 crv Lx and have read that Honda's cvt fluid change recommendation is too laxed and a yearly cvt fluid change will prolong the cvt life. What are you cvt owners doing and what would you suggest for someone who only drives about 5k per year, although much of it is stop and go driving?

I did my first CVT change in mt '15 Accord Sport at 20k. I'm going to do my second at 50k, probably next year at this rate. Using Honda fluids only.

I believe your free manual says to go by the MM, unless you use it for livery, mountain driving, etc. Then it says 25k.

Right? (it's in the maintenance section look for *4) CRV OM

My '14 Accord was 90% highway driven so I changed it when the MM told me to, at 50k. Sounds like Honda cuts it in half for severe service. Smart. Use OE fluid only! It's not worth a couple bucks using a non-approved fluid.

I recommend every 20K - which is usually every 2-3 oil changes.

Honda recommends going by the MM but there is a footnote which says to change every 25K if the vehicle is used in low-speed driving conditions.

It's always wise to go by "severe service" that's actually the service needed to keep the vehicle healthy. The rest is pure marketing to make you think that you car needs very little maintenance. Just check what the manufacturer of the tranny says vs what the car manufacturer says, they never agree.
smile.gif

I have a 2014 Accord, and just sold a 2014 Civic. I changed out almost 4 qts every other oil change on them both.

There was a noticeable, but small difference in the feel/operation right after a change. btw, that doesn't change all the fluid, it's about half.

This OCI was recommended to me by my neighbor that at the time was the head mechanic at a Honda dealership.

I will be doing a D & F on the Civic in my signature this weekend. It has just over 32k miles. I'll be using Castrol Transmax CVT fluid which is HCF-2 compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back