Cheap powerfull filter magnet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Harbor Frt. small magnetic parts cup. Recently I found that the magnet is just attached to the SS bowl by it magnetism. Pry it loose and it's the perfect size for an oil filter magnet. It may be too big for the smaller filters. Very strong and won't come off unless you hit something and I doubt it would come off even then.

Filters let most anything less than 15 microns right on through so the magnet grabs the ferrous bits the full flow filters cannot.

Originally Posted by MrQuackers
Filters let most anything less than 15 microns right on through so the magnet grabs the ferrous bits the full flow filters cannot.

True.

Though.... I don't see the point of having a big ring magnet on the bottom.

I put mine right where the flow is:

Originally Posted by Linctex

Magnets are 8mm N50 neodymium

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by MrQuackers

True.

Though.... I don't see the point of having a big ring magnet on the bottom.

I put mine right where the flow is:

Magnets are 8mm N50 neodymium

[Linked Image]

Yes, because of your input I am doing the same.

That is a cleaver idea but is this something that would only increase the life of the engine if you drove it 500,000 miles? What benefits does it have if you only use it 100,000 miles before trading it in?

Originally Posted by atikovi
That is a cleaver idea but is this something that would only increase the life of the engine if you drove it 500,000 miles? What benefits does it have if you only use it 100,000 miles before trading it in?

I don't know.
The magnets cost near nothing.... they are extra left over from a quantity purchase for another project.

The truck has 194,000 miles on it now and doesn't burn a single drop of oil in 10,000 miles.

I'll likely run it another 200,000 miles. (yes, seriously)

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Better off with high temperature magnets. As magnets get hotter, their field weakens unless made for high temps.

I don't often very high oil temps in this truck.

Also , I have more of these in my bypass filter, too. They run even cooler yet.

I don't think there are high-temp magnets. They will all degrade with exposure to hot oil.

I bought a bunch of these to hold up larger things on my fridge and work station; used the four remaining on the outside of the filter for each of our vehicles:

Neodymium Bar Magnets

Originally Posted by JerryBob
Old hard drives contain very strong magnets. If you can get your hands on an old HD.

Yep...and just stick them to the exterior of the filter....I have been doing that for years.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Originally Posted by JerryBob
Old hard drives contain very strong magnets. If you can get your hands on an old HD.

Yep...and just stick them to the exterior of the filter....I have been doing that for years.

Same here.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I don't think there are high-temp magnets. They will all degrade with exposure to hot oil.

I bought a bunch of these to hold up larger things on my fridge and work station; used the four remaining on the outside of the filter for each of our vehicles:

Neodymium Bar Magnets

there are high temperature magnets. And they do not degrade with high temperatures. some can go to extraordinary really high temperatures without losing their magnetism.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Originally Posted by gathermewool

Neodymium Bar Magnets

there are high temperature magnets. And they do not degrade with high temperatures. some can go to extraordinary really high temperatures without losing their magnetism.

In context; at what cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back