Service Pro oil any good?

Unusually do a 7k OCI using QS UD. Things got hectic and I ended up pushing that closer to 10k for the first time since I've owned my Jeep Patriot I bought new back in '15. Ended up going to a local lube place and getting my oil changed and they used Service Pro semi synthetic 5w20. Seems it meets all the standards so that's good, but originally I took it there just to get some fresh oil in so I could dump it at the 1k as a "flush". Now it's seemingly doing pretty well in my little 2.0l, so idk how wise it would be to change it. If I pushed my last oci to nearly 10k with QS UD, will my jeeps internals be dirty enough to shorten THIS oci?

Think it could do well over 1K. Why don't you drop it at 3K (which is probably still too short)-- then you'll be back to a 7K average overall. The last PQIA test of Service Pro showed that it met SN. I'm sure it's updated to SN+. I was trying to find out who made their stuff (it's an association of independent repair places), but a quick look showed nothing.

Rethinking-- I would trust it for a 5K oil change.

From the API database it looks like it's a Warren product/private label for Service Pro Inc. which is the distributor. "AIOD" is Service Pro...(Association for Independent Oil Distributors). There are 3 pages of products listed in the API db for AIOD/Service Pro.

http://service-pro.com/about-us/
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
If it's Service Pro sold by Pepboys, then it's a Warren product and will do a 5k OCI just fine. For an extended OCI, use the synthetic.

a couple of the local Pennzoil branded quick lubes have started advertising using this brand... which i find odd, since the place's whole branding is "Pennzoil" I assumed it was a jobber tier SOPUS Product...

(of course I also found it weird last year when my buddy took his car to a Jiffy Lube(AFAIK SOPUS owned), and got Castrol...of course they also charged him $70 for a SynBlend.)

looking at their pricing page, they offer Service Pro More than Pennzoil...

http://americanpennzoil.com/services/

Basic (~$30) "Oil and Filter Only with up to 5 quarts of bulk Pennzoil"
Full Service (~$40) "Includes Oil and Oil Filter Change - up to five quarts ServicePro bulk motor oil, Additional Oil $4.95 per quart"
Syn Full Service (~$60) "Change Oil - up to five quarts ServicePro or Pennzoil Full Synthetic motor oil, Additional Oil $6.50 per quart."
High Mileage Full Service (~$50) "Change Oil - up to five quarts ServicePro Synthetic Blend high mileage motor oil, Additional Oil $6.50 per quart."

they all include additional checks and whatnot, and the higher tiers all include a free wash at the attached carwash..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MileHigh18
oil changed and they used Service Pro semi synthetic 5w20. Seems it meets all the standards so that's good, but originally I took it there just to get some fresh oil in so I could dump it at the 1k as a "flush". Now it's seemingly doing pretty well in my little 2.0l, so idk how wise it would be to change it.

Shoot, if it meets specs - - - run it for (at least) 3,000+ miles

I am not too good at getting links to work on here,but if you go to "QClubricants" on the web and click on their "milspec" tab that will list all the specs for whatever equipment and the "products" tab will list the various companies that are contracted to provide lubricants and fluids. Several well known brands are there to include BP, Castrol Chevron. I have been retired since 2013 from Army,but unless government procurement and bidding process has changed, the contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder who can meet the specs and deliver the product in the vast bulk quantities that the military demands. I would guess that over the decades lubricants and fluids have been provided by all the major oil companies at one time or another . Shell,Exon, Valvoline, Warren etc. even the lowest bidder will have to meet the milspecs.

I have 5 or 6 quarts of Service Pro 5w30 from a case I bought at Aco Hardware on sale (several years ago, before Ace bought them out)
Can't remember what vehicle I used it in, but probably either the '99 Grand Cherokee or the '02 Caravan that I used to own.
Whatever vehicle it was, it ran fine. I read about it on here before buying it and the consensus seemed that it was a good oil.

Haven't owned a vehicle that recommended 5w30 in a while, so I haven't used it, and those leftover quarts along with several 5 qt jugs of Valvoline 5w30 and some QS 10w30 is what I'll be using for about the next 4 or 5 oil changes in my F150 just to use it up.
I would just leave it in for 3-5k and not worry about it.

I buy their Dexos approved 5W30 syn for $10/gal. it comes in a 6 gal box. The 0w20 version is about 25-30% more, not sure why.

I've got one of the crankcases in my parent's fleet filled with ServicePro 5W-30 D1G2. Car sounds as good as it usually is.

Service Pro is our house full synthetic oil at the lube shop where I work part time. We also use Penn. Platinum, Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, and Kendall GT1 Max. But we use Service Pro far more than the others. It's a Warren oil and is Dexos licensed. It should be totally fine running out to 7500 mile OCI.

L8R,
Matt

If you don't have a turbo or a GDI, I see no reason you couldn't run it to 7K or so. Should be just fine. Then go back to whatever you did previously.

Back