Lubegard necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing a transmission drain and fill on the 2014 Edge. Uses Mercon LV fluid. Undecided on whether Lubegard is necessary. I have used before and it is great in older fluid specs. All their literature says it improves Mercon III to Mercon V. This is already better than Mercon V. I have also heard that using in low vis fluids, like DeX VI or Mercon LV, can actually increase viscosity, which isn't good. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Doing a transmission drain and fill on the 2014 Edge. Uses Mercon LV fluid.

I think we should stop reading right here, and just go with what the factory recommends.

I have never used "Lubegard".

In newer fluids I wouldn't use a full dosage. I would try .5 oz per qt of total capacity. The newer ulv fluids I wouldn't even add anything. I currently am running about 4.5 oz in a sp3 application, at the same concentration with no ill effects on shift feel.

I have also heard that using in low vis fluids, like DeX VI or Mercon LV, can actually increase viscosity, which isn't good. Thoughts?

It amazes me how much misinformation is passed along on the internet.

I have only seen an ATF viscosity increase for badly maintained transmissions pulling heavy loads or vehicles that have not had proper fluid changes over long intervals, and is primarily caused by oxidation and intense overheating (lack of cooling).

LubeGard is not needed for a fully functioning transmission.

Last edited:
I have heard though that Lubegard Red is a really good additive to use every time you change fluid. I'm going to try it on my GM truck just to experiment with. I have never used it before so I can't say one way or another whether it improves shifting on a tranny that's already good.

I use Lubegard red in the trans of my 2010 Silverado as I've been to transmission classes where the instructors recommended using it. Whether it is necessary or not is a subject of debate, but I do know that the fluid temperature has dropped since I've started using it.

Does Lubegard Red help with shuddering? I think I feel it on the 62TE in my Pacifica, when the engine is cold and it enters torque converter lock-up in 5th and 6th, I'm feeling a bit of shudder. As the vehicle gets to operating temp I notice it less. Would this additive help any?

All their literature says it improves Mercon III to Mercon V.

Mercon III never existed -- there was Mercon, followed by Mercon V. You trust a product from a company that cannot get their facts correct?

Originally Posted by The Critic
All their literature says it improves Mercon III to Mercon V.

Mercon III never existed -- there was Mercon, followed by Mercon V. You trust a product from a company that cannot get their facts correct?

It's one of their conversation products. It's referring to dex3/merc. I would only use the red product. Lg red is the only thing I'd stick in a transmission besides oem or oem clone fluid.

All their literature says it improves Mercon III to Mercon V. This is already better than Mercon V.

Where in their literature does it say that??

We need to be careful about our statements we make here lest we misrepresent a product.

Conversion Fluid Chart See Slide 2

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Does Lubegard Red help with shuddering? I think I feel it on the 62TE in my Pacifica, when the engine is cold and it enters torque converter lock-up in 5th and 6th, I'm feeling a bit of shudder. As the vehicle gets to operating temp I notice it less. Would this additive help any?

I doubt it.

First, have your ATF (and any internal or external filters) changed and replaced with ATF +4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule

I doubt it.

First, have your ATF (and any internal or external filters) changed and replaced with ATF +4.

Checked that box already.

Would certainly try it before putting in a new torque converter. Some have had success with the lubegard black because it's got friction modifiers. Check out the reviews on both products and see what's right for you.

I had shuddering on my 2000 pontiac even after a couple of fluid changes didn't help it. 1 bottle of Lubeguard Red was the fix. Hasn't shuddered in over at least the last year. After adding the Lubeguard it did take about a week to quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back