What weight of oil 20 or 30? Rrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
This 👇
[Linked Image]

That is a ridiculous chart that is not relevant whatsoever.

Really? Do you not know what is? Or maybe you should call Noria (they specialize in lubricants) from whom I lifted the chart from and convey your thoughts.. See link below.👇

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30197/choose-engine-oil

Or Amsoil's website if you prefer.. similar chart will help even YOU select the proper oil. ...

https://blog.amsoil.com/a-beginners-guide-to-motor-oil/

Last edited:
I was born in the USA and we have never had to use the Celcius temperature chart. We were taught to use the Ferinheight chart. I must be one of those in the .1 percentile that didn't learn Celcius.
21.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I was born in the USA and we have never had to use the Celcius temperature chart. We were taught to use the Ferinheight chart. I must be one of those in the .1 percentile that didn't learn Celcius.

Never heard of Celcius nor Ferinheight temperatures, must be a thing down south.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Never heard of Celcius nor Ferinheight temperatures, must be a thing down south.

Maybe it's because there's just one temp in the south, muggy?🤔...‚

Last edited:

Maybe it's because there's just one temp in the south, muggy?🤔...‚

Yeah, the humidity down here clouds the brain.
grin.gif

I must have a fan club. Almost every reply I make on this site, there is that same member, following me.
banana2.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by faltic
So where would 0W20 place on this chart?

That was interesting...I had to go through a few charts to find one that had 0w20. Anyhow... hope this helps. (it's in Centigrade, hope that's not an issue ...)

[Linked Image]

0W20 good to 10°C only. LOL! Who believes this stuff?

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

That was interesting...I had to go through a few charts to find one that had 0w20. Anyhow... hope this helps. (it's in Centigrade, hope that's not an issue ...)

[Linked Image]

Who believes this stuff?...the Society of Automotive Engineers, that's who. I believe the higher the outside temps, the less efficient heat exchange is in the engine/cooling system and this effects an oils ability to resist thinning??

Maybe someone with more background can explain it better but there's a reason why they run a thicker 15w50 in the middle East and not a 0w20.

Last edited:
No, that chart is weird. I see you deleted the first response you made about the oil having an assigned viscosity and beginning to thin out at 10C, which obviously isn't correct. Oil viscosity for an assigned grade is not measured at 10C.

But what does it mean? Am I not supposed to use those grades at ambient temperatures above the upper limit of the bar? That does not make sense.

Chart is irrelevant. I only speak 'Murican. Git out with that Celcius junk!

lol

OP, 5w30 or 5w20 is fine. Don't over think it like 99.9% of people on here.

Last edited:
No, that chart is weird. I see you deleted the first response you made about the oil having an assigned viscosity and beginning to thin out at 10C, which obviously isn't correct. Oil viscosity for an assigned grade is not measured at 10C.

But what does it mean? Am I not supposed to use those grades at ambient temperatures above the upper limit of the bar? That does not make sense.

I did delete it because it wasn't accurate. I am not fully clear how/why the SAE oil grade chart uses ambient temperatures. My guess is, that it effects heat exchange in some form??? I know the ambient operating temps is relevant, otherwise my owners manual wouldn't tell me to use the grade of oil for my climate and reference the same SAE oil chart (other words, it's also in my manual).

I don't know any more than that. Maybe shoot an email off to Amsoil or Royal Purple and see if you can get a better explanation from one of their engineers.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I've found numerous past discussions on this topic. While I've yet to read a clear explanation of the SAE values, most seem to agree use the ambient operating temp chart listed in your manual. In my case my manual references the SAE scale/chart, so I'm still confused/unclear. I'm thinking that the oil doesn't blow up if used beyond the ambient temperature listed but maybe it's ability to resist thinning and maintain it's original grade, is somehow compromised the higher the ambient temp gets???

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3239805/Oil_Viscosity/Ambient_Temperat

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

[Linked Image]

Who believes this stuff?...the Society of Automotive Engineers, that's who. I believe the higher the outside temps, the less efficient heat exchange is in the engine/cooling system and this effects an oils ability to resist thinning??

Maybe someone with more background can explain it better but there's a reason why they run a thicker 15w50 in the middle East and not a 0w20.

Uhh, yeah.

What I know is a large amount of manufacturers have spec'd 20 weight oil for temperatures far higher than 10 degrees, without issues, for decades.

Nothing quite a goofy as some of those charts. We had a discussion about them a while back, and it seems like in some cases they are never updated properly. Even that owner's manual example you gave it says this:
...however, higher viscosity engine oils are required for satisfactory lubrication in hot weather. Using oils of any viscosity other than those recommended could result in engine damage.

But then the chart shows that all grades are recommended for the highest temperature shown in the chart. It implies you can't use anything not on the chart (Using oils of any viscosity other than those recommended could result in engine damage) but it says higher viscosity oils are "required" in hot weather.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by AZjeff
And? The OP is in Tucson which is still in the USA. 99.9% of American citizens don't get Celsius. 0 = 32, 100 = 212, who knows what 35 is? When the US officially goes to C then we learn it, otherwise we do F.

If you're online you can easily convert the units using google.

Otherwise just remember the formula on how to convert. If you can remember that you have to either add or subtract 32, and that's multiplying by either 5/9's or 9/5's, you can easily work it out. Since we're Fahrenheit people, start in the F domain. To make 32 into 0, you'd have to subtract 32. And to make 212 into 100, you'd subtract that 32, then since 180 is still much larger than 100, it has to be multiplying by 5/9's. Reverse the order to go from C to F: multiple by 9/5's and then add 32. Done. Simple math.

Would be nice if we had kept to the plan and changed in 1975, suffered through the pain in the 80's, and had been done with it, but oh well.

For those like me, who don't have the math gene, an easy ballpark way is to just double the C, and add 30. So 12C would round out to 12 +12=24, then 24+30= 54* for going back down, subtract 30 from current F temp, then 1/2 that result. works pretty good for poor mans math.

Originally Posted by chubbie
Hi everyone a few weeks ago I bought a new to me 2007 dodge ram 1500 with the 3.7L v6. I changed the oil i used qsad 5w-30. However on the oil cap it showed 5w-20. In my owners manual yes says 5w-20.But some of the auto part stores say I should use the 5w-30 Which was recommended by Oreilly auto. checked at pennzoil .com and valvoline.com they say 5w-30. I googled this found an old thread on here years ago molar was wrong misprint in the owners manual 30 weight should be used.I'm confused.So what weight am I supposed to use? Yes here in the desert it's 100 so I'm not sure but 30 weight could be ok for the summer? I hope someone has some info on this and set me straight.

The 3.7 was originally specified for 5w-30. I used it in my '04 Dodge Ram and currently use it in the wife's '08 Liberty. Back spec occurred some time later. Since you're in AZ, I'd think you could even use a 10w-30 year 'round.

And? The OP is in Tucson which is still in the USA. 99.9% of American citizens don't get Celsius. 0 = 32, 100 = 212, who knows what 35 is? When the US officially goes to C then we learn it, otherwise we do F.

Just a different way of looking at it, is all. IMO the US should have followed through the changeover that started in the 70s....we are overdue in joining everyone else in the world*.

To go C to F, double it, take off 10% and add 32. So 35°C = 70-7+32 = 95°F.

Originally Posted by Propflux01

For those like me, who don't have the math gene, an easy ballpark way is to just double the C, and add 30. So 12C would round out to 12 +12=24, then 24+30= 54* for going back down, subtract 30 from current F temp, then 1/2 that result. works pretty good for poor mans math.

thumbsup2.gif
That's the quick and dirty way...pretty good but gets progressively inaccurate the further you move away from center.....

*(well, everyone except for a couple Caribbean countries and Sierra Leone Correction: SL went metric in 2011. It's Burma and Liberia. Also Great Britain, which uses metric, except for distance which is still miles - since they invented miles I guess)

https://www.vox.com/2015/2/16/8031177/america-fahrenheit

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Originally Posted by supton

If you're online you can easily convert the units using google.

Otherwise just remember the formula on how to convert. If you can remember that you have to either add or subtract 32, and that's multiplying by either 5/9's or 9/5's, you can easily work it out. Since we're Fahrenheit people, start in the F domain. To make 32 into 0, you'd have to subtract 32. And to make 212 into 100, you'd subtract that 32, then since 180 is still much larger than 100, it has to be multiplying by 5/9's. Reverse the order to go from C to F: multiple by 9/5's and then add 32. Done. Simple math.

Would be nice if we had kept to the plan and changed in 1975, suffered through the pain in the 80's, and had been done with it, but oh well.

I suspect I'll forget that trick, but
thumbsup2.gif
all the same. Close enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back