Looked Under the Hood of my New F-150 and

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Hate to say it guys but I think I'm going to let this one be dealer maintained. Will need a step stool to accurately pour oil and dog gone it, it just looks pretty complicated in that engine bay. Salesman said their service dept recommends 5000 mile (8000 km) oil change intervals on this engine (2.7 liter twin turbo V6). They do use Motorcraft oil and oem filters.

I thought the purchase included a Genuine Motorcraft step stool.

The world famous Hellen Keller funnel
lol.gif

I have two of those..

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by PimTac
You didn't pop the hood on the dealers lot?

+1
Before I purchase anything, it's serviceability is one of the main factors in the decision process.

Nope, didn't feel need to look under the hood at the dealership. Weird, I know. Even just five yrs ago it would've been one of the first things I'd have done. But I'm tellin' ya, I must just be getting lazy the older I get. Well, that's not quite it either though. I'm getting hassle averse. Yeah, I think that is a good way to say it. Hassle averse. Lately my approach seems to be to simplify and smooth out my day to day living to the extent that I can. I can tell you though, the bitog chromosome is still in me however. I still have the interest in all of it, it's just the execution where I've noticed I may run out of steam from time to time.

Turned 56 this spring. That's too young for the onset of Pseudo-bitog Maintenance Apathy Syndrome (PMAS) to exhibit, yes?

I have a step ladder that I often use when washing vehicles--I think the last time I washed the wife's car I found myself reaching for it! I should put some pipe insulation around it or something to keep it from scratching the paint in case of accident.

Not sure if yesterday's trucks were lower to the ground or not. At least if you got the sixes you could just stand inside the compartment (might still be able to with the Pentastar Rams--but you'd still need a step ladder to step over the grill I bet).

I need a step ladder to wash and seal the roof of my CX5. Yes I'm short.

I used to take a peak underneath as well. In my older age I have forgone that part of the inspection.

One of these days someone is going to start a thread that they bought a F150 with the 3.5 EB but discovered it was a 2.7 when they got home.

I guess having seen so many over tightened drain plugs I cannot bear to have someone else service my vehicles.
I can over tighten them myself...

Changing the oil in my Canyon usually culminates in a cuss-fest because of how fast the oil shoots out of the pan, and I have to use a step ladder to get a socket on the filter housing, but I still rather do it myself than have some 19-year-old mess it up.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Changing the oil in my Canyon usually culminates in a cuss-fest because of how fast the oil shoots out of the pan, and I have to use a step ladder to get a socket on the filter housing, but I still rather do it myself than have some 19-year-old mess it up.

The same thing happens on my Sierra. I finally got sick of it and installed a Fumoto valve.

Concerning Colorado/Canyon....
I hold up the very light plastic oil catch pan to the drain bolt that faces the width of the vehicle and not the length, allowing just enough room for my other hand to unscrew the bolt.
Then hold-on to that plastic pan tightly, for it gets unbalanced in a hurry if you don't. Once the oil flows begins to slow, then I begin lowering the pan back to the ground..... carefully.

With the filter, I drill a hole in the bottom corner of the filter. Otherwise that's a big mess waiting to happen also.

he's got the 2.7, same as ours. The step stool gets you up but then the long lean over and inverted to get down into it is rough. this will be a difficult vehicle for DIY beyond maintenance items because of it. There's plenty of room under the hood - as the engine itself is so small - the bulk of the room is generous air intake plumbing. With that removed, access is generous - if you can crawl down into it.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I guess having seen so many over tightened drain plugs I cannot bear to have someone else service my vehicles.
I can over tighten them myself...

We purchased a 2006 Buick Lacrosse 3.8i , about 2 years ago . It does not get driven very much .

The dealership had the oil / filter changed before we took delivery . First oul change , I discovered the drain plug was pretty close to the transmission pan . To close to get anything on it except a combination wrench ( 13 mm ) . Which is a 12 point on the box end & it was pretty short ( not a lot of mechanical advantage ) .

The drain plug was TIGHT . Ended up rounding the drain plug off . Replaced it with a new drain plug . I tightened the new drain plug moderatly tight with the 12 point combination wrench .

Afterwards , I located and purchased a Craftsman 6 point 13 mm combination wrench at Sears .

Saturday , I drained the oil the 2nd time . The drain plug was much easier to remove , Praise the Lord ! :)

I used the 6 point combination wrench .

Note to all that read this . A drain plug does not have to be " oilfield tight " !

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Concerning Colorado/Canyon....
I hold up the very light plastic oil catch pan to the drain bolt that faces the width of the vehicle and not the length, allowing just enough room for my other hand to unscrew the bolt.
Then hold-on to that plastic pan tightly, for it gets unbalanced in a hurry if you don't. Once the oil flows begins to slow, then I begin lowering the pan back to the ground..... carefully.

With the filter, I drill a hole in the bottom corner of the filter. Otherwise that's a big mess waiting to happen also.

That's pretty much what I've resorted to doing, otherwise the wheel and tire get shot with oil. I get a little better at balancing a filling pan every time I do it. As far as the filter, it's a top-mount cartridge, right next to the engine cover (which requires surgery to remove), partially obstructed by a thick bundle of wires. GM knows how to make it fun.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'm thinking my 6'2" younger sister should start a mobile oil change business.

01.gif

At 6ft, I can barely reach the dipstick on my 2017 Ram 1500. Definitely need a step ladder for the oil filter and refill. It's not only the height, it's the fact that little V6 is set far back.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by PimTac
You didn't pop the hood on the dealers lot?

+1
Before I purchase anything, it's serviceability is one of the main factors in the decision process.

Then there is a point where you are not going to be buying newer cars. With computer aided designs the engine compartments are getting tighter and more compact.

I can't tell you how many different makes of cars I have had service at various dealers-and never-and mean NEVER a problem. Dealers service 100's of cars on a weekly basis-here on BITOG, by the occasional "dealer bash thread" it would make one thing there is gross incompetence-across the country at most dealerships. I have found that's simply not the case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
The world famous Hellen Keller funnel
lol.gif

I have two of those..

Not funny and not appropriate.

On the topic of hitting a gusher (old oil exploration slang) when removing the drain plug. My Subaru Forester did it every time. Not only that, but the plug was designed at about a 45 degree angle instead of straight down. So the oil would always plume out sideways. The only way to not get splatter everywhere when it initially hits the catch pan (which you'd have to hold poised half tilted mid air for least mess) was to use an oil extractor to pump it down first. I ended up using an Pela 6000 to extract most of the oil, then I'd remove the drain plug and only a tame dribble would come out, easy to capture with no splatter no spill. Before the Pela though, it was a nightmare on clean-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back