What weight of oil 20 or 30? Rrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone a few weeks ago I bought a new to me 2007 dodge ram 1500 with the 3.7L v6. I changed the oil i used qsad 5w-30. However on the oil cap it showed 5w-20. In my owners manual yes says 5w-20.But some of the auto part stores say I should use the 5w-30 Which was recommended by Oreilly auto. checked at pennzoil .com and valvoline.com they say 5w-30. I googled this found an old thread on here years ago molar was wrong misprint in the owners manual 30 weight should be used.I'm confused.So what weight am I supposed to use? Yes here in the desert it's 100 so I'm not sure but 30 weight could be ok for the summer? I hope someone has some info on this and set me straight.

I drove one of these trucks for a week. Please use the 5w30. That engine works hard to move the truck around and it has no moving parts that must have 20wt (like the MDS equipped hemis).

This 👇
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
[Linked Image]

Nice chart but it's in C.
21.gif

95% of the world population uses Celsius.

And? The OP is in Tucson which is still in the USA. 99.9% of American citizens don't get Celsius. 0 = 32, 100 = 212, who knows what 35 is? When the US officially goes to C then we learn it, otherwise we do F.

[Linked Image]

Nice chart but it's in C.
21.gif

And that's a problem how exactly? Never a shortage of critics on this board!...‚

And? The OP is in Tucson which is still in the USA. 99.9% of American citizens don't get Celsius. 0 = 32, 100 = 212, who knows what 35 is? When the US officially goes to C then we learn it, otherwise we do F.

If you're online you can easily convert the units using google.

Otherwise just remember the formula on how to convert. If you can remember that you have to either add or subtract 32, and that's multiplying by either 5/9's or 9/5's, you can easily work it out. Since we're Fahrenheit people, start in the F domain. To make 32 into 0, you'd have to subtract 32. And to make 212 into 100, you'd subtract that 32, then since 180 is still much larger than 100, it has to be multiplying by 5/9's. Reverse the order to go from C to F: multiple by 9/5's and then add 32. Done. Simple math.

Would be nice if we had kept to the plan and changed in 1975, suffered through the pain in the 80's, and had been done with it, but oh well.

No, YOU do F ..I have no problem going between Fahrenheit and Centigrade🌡ï¸...

Try this one...0 is freezing â„ï¸, 40 is freaking hot🔥. Now you can do my chart......

Last edited:
Originally Posted by faltic
So where would 0W20 place on this chart?

That was interesting...I had to go through a few charts to find one that had 0w20. Anyhow... hope this helps. (it's in Centigrade, hope that's not an issue ...)

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Shows that a multi VI's 10/15w40 is good to 104F.

I think my manual for middle east region starts at that... which you can still get Mobil 1 Advanced at that grade for under $25.

This 👇
[Linked Image]

That is a ridiculous chart that is not relevant whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back