my K&N...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd share some picturs of the K&N air filters.

Car is E55 AMG with the M113k Supercharged V8. Purchased about 1 year ago. Checked the air filters recently for the first time and this is what they looked like...

20190623_131744.jpg

20190623_131825.jpg

Where is the oil?

What was it cleaned with?

That is NOT a properly cared for air filter. I suspect that it was either rinsed with high-pressure water or dried with high-pressure air. Possibly both, and it was not re-oiled.

This is why I check/replace all filters and fluids when buying a new-to-me car.

I'd change my air filter to OEM and then change my oil and oil filter asap. You could have a lot of dirt lurking around in your engine.

A long time ago a wise many explained to me the only way dirt can get in your engine is through the air. A V-8 moment for me.

Originally Posted by tony1679
...belongs in the trash

OEM FTW

An OEM filter can be improperly installed and damaged. When I bought my Audi Q7 I installed an AEM filter.

I removed a crumpled and soaked OEM filter, carelessly installed by an Audi technician.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I'd change my air filter to OEM and then change my oil and oil filter asap. You could have a lot of dirt lurking around in your engine.

Cheers. Done paper filter and the oil. Would there be anything else you'd do? Would anything else need cleaning?

Originally Posted by dirtydannyd

Cheers. Done paper filter and the oil. Would there be anything else you'd do? Would anything else need cleaning?

In my cars I will clean my MAF sensor.

You make a very excellent point. Thank you sir!

There's not really a whole lot you can do. Dirt in the oil will be trapped by the oil filter and/or drained with the sump. It's not "hiding" anywhere.

My biggest concern here would be the potential scoring of the supercharger rotors and damage to/dirtying of the intercooler fins.

In my cars I will clean my MAF sensor.

You make a very excellent point. Thank you sir!

No MAF in the OP's car.

LOL

For dirt to get filtered out of your oil , it would have to pass through the oil filter. I'm not no engineer, but I find it highly unlikely the dirt that got passed your air filter went directly straight into the oil filter.

Who knows, your oil filter may be in the shape shape as your air filter ???

Sarcasm can be hard to detect in a text, no?

Watch out for that lurking dirt!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Don't they have a million mile warranty?

Yes, if you follow the care instructions.

Last edited:
LOL

For dirt to get filtered out of your oil , it would have to pass through the oil filter. I'm not no engineer, but I find it highly unlikely the dirt that got passed your air filter went directly straight into the oil filter.

Logically, anything ingested will most likely be blown out the exhaust. Anything remaining will be scraped from the cylinder walls and travel to the sump, where it will fall out of suspension to the bottom of the pan or pass from the sump, through the pickup and oil pump, directly to the oil filter before heading anywhere else.

Lately I can't tell the difference between an intelligent person's sarcasm and what passes for a post here these days.

There you go again. Please don't assume my intelligence level as I don't know if I got none.
happy2.gif

LOL

I believe that this is a faulty concept. The air filter is supposed to be more efficient on small particles than the oil filter. A good air filter (not the one pictured) will remove most particles above 5 microns while a good oil filter will remove and retain most particles above 20 microns. Perform two, short cycle, severe service, oil and filter changes to get most of the contamination out of your engine.

That's a filter in the same sense that OJ Simpson is an actor. Yeah it did that at one time but those days are long gone, and now there are better options for less money that probably won't kill you(r engine). .

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by tony1679
...belongs in the trash

OEM FTW

An OEM filter can be improperly installed and damaged. When I bought my Audi Q7 I installed an AEM filter.

I removed a crumpled and soaked OEM filter, carelessly installed by an Audi technician.

Great point roofless...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back