Castrol 0w40 as E36 track day oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been running Rotella T6 in my e36 1997 m3 for a number of years but now have a newer 06 330i that i run Castrol 0W40 in for the LL01 certification. I'd like to run the same oil in both cars to make things easier. How do you guys think the Castrol 0w40 would do a in a e36 engine at the track? The car currently has 170k on it, has a clean engine, and sees a 2-4k highway miles a year aside from the few track days. I've looked at the VOAs and I noticed that the Castrol is a bit thinner at temp. Is that a concern?

I think the Castrol would be a good choice, or on the other hand, Mobil 1 0w40 is too as they carry equivalent specifications such as MB - 229.5, Porsche A40, etc. However, both Castrol 0w40 and Mobil 1 0w40 no longer carry LL-01.

Originally Posted by ad_infinitum
I think the Castrol would be a good choice, or on the other hand, Mobil 1 0w40 is too as they carry equivalent specifications such as MB - 229.5, Porsche A40, etc. However, both Castrol 0w40 and Mobil 1 0w40 no longer carry LL-01.

Are you sure about that? I saw your posts here where the Castrol product did not but I've never seen any at Walmart that does not. They have run out several times and have restocked, it still has Longlife-01 on the label. I keep checking just for fun at several Walmarts. The website no longer lists it but I still keep seeing it on the containers.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Are you sure about that? I saw your posts here where the Castrol product did not but I've never seen any at Walmart that does not. They have run out several times and have restocked, it still has Longlife-01 on the label. I keep checking just for fun at several Walmarts. The website no longer lists it but I still keep seeing it on the containers.

I am going by what I see on the Castrol website, (attached below), and what I see at my Walmart and the Walmart website. The Castrol Edge 0w40 at the Walmarts I frequent in Rhode Island and New Hampshire has a new label, (attached below) which does not even mention BMW on the front anymore. Additionally, the listing for Castrol 0w40 on Walmart's website includes a picture of the updated bottle and does not list LL-01 in the description. Maybe the supply chains to the Walmarts in your area are very delayed.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am going by what I see on the Castrol website, (attached below), and what I see at my Walmart and the Walmart website. The Castrol Edge 0w40 at the Walmarts I frequent in Rhode Island and New Hampshire has a new label, (attached below) which does not even mention BMW on the front anymore. Additionally, the listing for Castrol 0w40 on Walmart's website includes a picture of the updated bottle and does not list LL-01 in the description. Maybe the supply chains to the Walmarts in your area are very delayed.

Could be. It's really not a big deal for my ancient old BMW, going forward I'll probably use anything at Walmart with A40 approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back