Would like a higher capacity version of the Fram XG3675

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my 02 Envoy, 4.2 I6, I generally use the PF-61E, have been also using the XG3675...however the XG 3675 is smaller by comparison. When I did try the Ultra I was surprised at the smaller size compared to the PF-61E. Do I need a larger can...not sure, but curious if one would be beneficial and is there a comparable Ultra filter that mounts up the same with a higher capacity.

The 3675 being the high capacity version of the 3506, I don't think there is a larger filter. At least, not one that is officially recommended. The 3506/3675 are full-flow filters and that's not very common.

My 2001 Silverado originally specified the now-discontinued PF-59. The Fram cross-reference, 3675, was always a bit shorter.

Since my stash of AC Delcos ran out, I have been using Wix 51522. Rock Auto's specs say it is about .5" longer than the XG3675. I don't know whether that half inch has any relationship to the amount of media, and the quality of media will clearly differ among filters.

Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic
My 2001 Silverado originally specified the now-discontinued PF-59. The Fram cross-reference, 3675, was always a bit shorter.

Since my stash of AC Delcos ran out, I have been using Wix 51522. Rock Auto's specs say it is about .5" longer than the XG3675. I don't know whether that half inch has any relationship to the amount of media, and the quality of media will clearly differ among filters.

The 51522 has a TON of media, but not from the extra .5". That half inch is taken up by a blank "combo valve," since the 51522/51042 have no internal bypass valve.

I use the XG9837 filter on my 2002 Tahoe. It's the same size as the XG3675. I'm not aware of one that's taller without doing a remote mount.

From reading here, I learned capacity is usually in grams, not can size. I think it is based on a test dust. Anyway the Ultra has higher capacity than the other standard Frams, which are more like the Delco media. You should be fine. Or maybe you want more oil capacity?

FRAM says Ultra will last 20k miles with synthetic oil. https://www.fram.com/products/consumer-products/oil-filters/fram-ultra-synthetic-oil-filter/

But don't forget to CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL REGULARLY.

I think FRAM used to make a taller version but it prob got gobbled up in a line reduction or efficiency project. Or maybe Walmart.com just doesn't sell it (?). Not on FRAM's website though.

Filter media performance cannot be compared by cutting open a filter and seeing who has "more" media. The Ultra uses some rather lofty stuff with a metal screen on the interior. It's alot heavier/thicker than regular filter media, and heavier/thicker than what's used in their Extragard and Toughgard line.

Why do you need more capacity than a FRAM Ultra anyways? 20k miles ain't enough??
19.gif

A taller / larger filter for the same application decreases the pressure delta across the filter media, reducing bypass valve open time, and giving a slight increase in oil volume. Whether any benefits are actually realized from this is still up for debate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
A taller / larger filter for the same application decreases the pressure delta across the filter media, reducing bypass valve open time, and giving a slight increase in oil volume. Whether any benefits are actually realized from this is still up for debate.

According to FRAM's website, the FRAM 3675 doesn't have a pressure relief valve. Nor does the ACDelco PF61.

In theory, a taller filter may have reduced column strength (lower internal collapse strength) over its shorter brethren. Again, as said above, whether any benefits are actually realized from this is up for debate.

Originally Posted by DudeNiceRide

According to FRAM's website, the FRAM 3675 doesn't have a pressure relief valve. Nor does the ACDelco PF61.

In theory, a taller filter may have reduced column strength (lower internal collapse strength) over its shorter brethren. Again, as said above, whether any benefits are actually realized from this is up for debate.

Neither does the XG9837. The bypass valve is built into the block on many GM engines so no need for one in the filter. It allows for cramming in more filter area.

I use the XG9837 filter on my 2002 Tahoe. It's the same size as the XG3675. I'm not aware of one that's taller without doing a remote mount.
I don't know if it matters, but would the 3675 be more beneficial in terms of cold-starts by having the ADBV? I looked at the 9837 as a cross-reference awhile back but learned it didn't have the ADBV.

Height isn't much of a concern, there's a good bit of room in that area of the frame. I would like to use a remote mount filter but plumbing would take some creativity being crowded on that side of the engine bay...doable but not easliy.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
From reading here, I learned capacity is usually in grams, not can size. I think it is based on a test dust. Anyway the Ultra has higher capacity than the other standard Frams, which are more like the Delco media. You should be fine. Or maybe you want more oil capacity?

I guess looking at some Toyota filters back in the day that were smaller than the filter on my riding mower, I can see how the size of the can doesn't mean everything.

Originally Posted by DudeNiceRide
FRAM says Ultra will last 20k miles with synthetic oil. https://www.fram.com/products/consumer-products/oil-filters/fram-ultra-synthetic-oil-filter/

Why do you need more capacity than a FRAM Ultra anyways? 20k miles ain't enough??
19.gif

I guess I just wasn't fully aware of the capabilities of the XG filters, also the surface area of the filter media doesn't fully coincide with the size of the can.

Ok, good info...thanks...I'll keep using the XG. Don't really need the extra capacity, already have 7qts but a good remote setup would be nice as well.

Originally Posted by i6pwr
I don't know if it matters, but would the 3675 be more beneficial in terms of cold-starts by having the ADBV? I looked at the 9837 as a cross-reference awhile back but learned it didn't have the ADBV.

My XG9837 has an ADBV. I wouldn't have bought and installed it if it didn't. I'm not sure when they made the change.

https://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG9837

The ADBV doesn't nec. help with cold starts. It just helps with "starts" in general. It keeps oil in the filter so there's no void that delays lube system bleed at start-up.

The pressure relief valve is what helps ensure oil flow to your engine during cold starts (really thick viscous oil), pressure spikes or when the filter is near its max dirt holding capacity. Some filters have them. The filters that are not equipped with a PRV are typically on engine applications which have their own built-in PRV.

A lot of engines also have a "pressure regulating valve" that prevents the oil system from be over-pressurized (i.e. bursting seals, blowing filter up/off, etc).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by i6pwr

My XG9837 has an ADBV. I wouldn't have bought and installed it if it didn't. I'm not sure when they made the change.

https://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG9837

You are correct.

I contacted Fram to get the scoop on these two filters, make sure I didn't have the one without it. They said both the XG3675 and XG9837 have the ADBV, it's the PH9837 that does not have the ADBV.

There is no larger Ultra that will fit. Car mfgrs. are going smaller all the time and most filter manufacturers are crossing down to the smaller ones and dropping the older, larger ones. No doubt sooner or later Fram will drop the 3675 as well in favor of the 3506 and that will be all you can get for your car.

A Wix 51045 (equivalent to the obsolete PF59) is longer. If you have room all the way around the filter including at the base, 51258 and 51049 are fatter and the latter even longer, traditional quart size. The 51258 fits on my GTO. The Fram Racing HP5 is this size, too. None of the three Wixes are made in XP versions.

That said, there isn't much advantage beyond extra oil capacity, which may make the oil run slightly cooler and slightly extend oil life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back