Akebonos vs Duralast Gold brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Akebono is Ultra Premium
Duralast Gold is Premium

Who says or classifies this ?

I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like something from the Marketing department.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Donald
I also think there is a good chance when you provide Akebono pads to a indy shop to have brakes done that they know you care about the vehicle and will do a better jobs than if you are just looking for the basic brake job. (Thats my theory).

It's a nice idea but not sure how much weight it holds. It could also mean the customer knows nothing more than what he/she read about "the best" brake pads on some random internet forum and Akebono (or insert some other brand's fan-boys) out-voted everyone else.

Yup. They are thinking you ought to put that junk on yourself...

Which pads have OE style shims? Which pad is an OE supplier? What car are we talking about? Why doesn't whoever is making the store brand pad just put their name on it?

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by painfx
In terms of quality, which one has better braking power?

Akebonos Pro Act vs Duralast Gold

What car?
I used once Akebono on VW CC, and they were absolute POS from brake performance side.

2018 Camry

Originally Posted by BigD1
If you have a Honda that came with Akebono brake pads from the factory, then buy those because ProAct are definitely not the same quality.

What is the difference?

Originally Posted by BigD1
If you have a Honda that came with Akebono brake pads from the factory, then buy those because ProAct are definitely not the same quality.

What is the difference?

The pads themselves are smaller, and the material leaves very heavy pad deposits under severe driving conditions.

Originally Posted by NASTI
Between those two, they are both average in terms of stopping power. I recently took off a set of Akebono Pro-Act's and swapped them Raybestos EHT based on the reviews I read on here and I like them better. Bite is more responsive and I can actually launch my passenger toward the windshield now
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Any reason just those 2 you are looking at? Neither one of them is bad but the both are over priced IMO.

The Raybestos EHT would also get my vote. Rockauto has them at a good price and they work well.

Does it dust a lot? Do they last longer then the Akebono pro acts?

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Why doesn't whoever is making the store brand pad just put their name on it?

Branding and marketing, baby.

Even though MAT who is supplying a majority of the auto parts chains with their friction, have the same/identical numbering system and share the same AMECA edge codes and make them at the same factory. I'm pretty convinced Duralast == BrakeBest == Wearever == Bendix.

For a while, Federated had a deal with Wagner and while the shims on the house brand pads didn't say it, the boxes of the Federated SST pads said By Wagner. For AAP-affliated stores, Bosch does the same thing with PerfectStop. It doesn't say Bosch on the pads or shims but on the box quite proudly.

What car?
I used once Akebono on VW CC, and they were absolute POS from brake performance side.

2018 Camry

Akebono is OE supplier. I would go with OE . If you want to improve performance, go with EBC Greenstuff.

What car?

2018 Camry

Akebono is OE supplier. I would go with OE . If you want to improve performance, go with EBC Greenstuff.

Akebono is suppliers, but the Akebonos from the dealer is different from Akebono ProActs correct?

I have no experience with Dura Gold, lots of experience with Akebono ProAct on Honda applications. Ime they seem to work well, very low dust and no noise. And they are made in the US. They've given me no reason to switch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Akebono is suppliers, but the Akebonos from the dealer is different from Akebono ProActs correct?

In my case they are different on my Patriot.

MOPAR OEM Akebono: Mopar 68020494AB
[Linked Image]

VS.:

Aftermarket Akebono ProAct: ASP866
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by doitmyself

In my case they are different on my Patriot.

MOPAR OEM Akebono: Mopar 68020494AB
[Linked Image]

VS.:

Aftermarket Akebono ProAct: ASP866
[Linked Image]

The ASP is not the same pads as the ProACT
smile.gif

ASP is Akebono's performance line:

Maybe. I personally hate anything Akebono, so never ventured there.

Why do you hate them? What do you prefer?

Why do you hate them? What do you prefer?

I try them on VW. Ridiculous deterioration of performance.
I prefer anything that provides maximum performance. Akebono does not.

Depends on the vehicle. The same is true with tires.

In case of Land Cruiser, both stock and Akebono exhibited gradual deterioration of performance, it was quite manageable, but fading was there in both of them, Akebono was a tad worse than Toyota.
If it's a price point decision, both will do fine. It all depends. I drive like an old man I am, but for my wife's car I pay premium for premium brake parts and tires.

I once had Akebono on a 2006 Jetta 2.5 and they just did not perform well as well as the OEM Bosch pads. I use Centric/Stoptech para aramid pads now and they are a little better than the Bosch pads. They have a better bite when you start to press the brakes and are less likely to fade. The Stoptech are a little harsh sometimes when coming to a complete stop but it can save you from a fraud attempt or accident. I still like Bosch but I like Stoptech a little more. I will never buy Akebono again. Maybe Akebono has a better set of pads for better stopping performance? I don't know but think they might. I just don't have a very good first impression of Akebono and for now prefer to avoid them even if it is all the parts store has.

Centric para aramid pads have been the best in my experience on Land Cruisers. On my lowly panthers Motorcraft were the best, go figure.

I have never used the Akebone', but the Duralast Gold is all we use at work, I found the best ones are the ones with the chrome back plate and not the black plate (in case you didnt new there is two different Duralast Gold brake pads Metalic and Ceramic, metalic being the good one) less dust and doesnt eat the rotors like the ceramics do. I used to use Raybestos but my local parts store stoped carrying them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back