shelf life

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok I haven't been here in a while. but I'm back for a minute.
I went to an auction a few weeks ago, and among one of the lots I bought were a dozen bottles of unopened 10w40. I run that weight oil in all of my vehicles (newest/ 99 Dakota, 3.9, just bought 2 weeks ago) otherwise I have a 96 Dakota/ 318 and 78 Plymouth Sport Fury 318 (this one just turned 54k original miles) so I bought the lot. 6 quarts of Valvoline, the other 6 were Pennzoil.
I was needing to go buy some oil anyways, and it was cheaper than buying 1 qt at the gas station for all 12 quarts.
I put 5 qts (Valvoline) in the 99 Dakota (1st oil change under my watch) and 5 qts Pennzoil in the Fury. The oil looked fine, no separation, anything like that. The Fury has been parked for a year and 1/2, been started and warmed up a handful of times in that span, been driving the snot out of it lately 70 miles a day (hit a deer with the 99 last week, had to order parts and had to get to work) That car is 3 years on its last oil change, probably 2500 miles max. (yeah I know, bad move) Its been in a garage for the offseasons, has hardly been wet since I have owned it. I bought the car 12 years ago with 38k orig miles on it, I am 2nd owner.
Anyways as I was pouring the Pennzoil into the Fury I noticed an auxiliary smaller label on the bottles; 3 of them offered a chance to win a brand new 1989 Cadillac. the other 2 bottles said to enter to win a brand new 1987 Wrangler... Yikes, I knew it was old but not THAT old. Now that the 99 is back together, the Fury will again go to being a "weekend car".
What harm can I do to it by running that oil in it for the rest of this season? I don't anticipate putting more than ~1000 more miles on it before it will again be parked for the winter.

Have you seen the '89 Cadillacs yet? I would definitely enter that contest. I would drain it. I'm sure most here will say the opposite. I tend to be a little nervous about this kind of thing.

I sent a sample to BSL to test some new old stock Rotella 15w40 that had been sitting in the back of my shop for the last 18 years, and the test came as you would expect....... Normal. I wouldnt hesitate to use any old oil unless it was one from a cardboard can.

Originally Posted by Newman88
I sent a sample to BSL to test some new old stock Rotella 15w40 that had been sitting in the back of my shop for the last 18 years, and the test came as you would expect....... Normal. I wouldnt hesitate to use any old oil unless it was one from a cardboard can.

I have 1 can of Union 76 Guardol in a cardboard can and 1 qt of Pennz 20w20 still in a cardboard can sitting here on my shelf.

Too bad you missed out on some beauty like a Catera or Cimarron. I suppose the 1987 and 1989 oils pre-date API certifications. Your 78 Fury is likely fine, but personally I would't want 1987 or 1989 oil in a 1999 vehicle.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
That stuff was once in the ground a few hundred million years. A few decades in a container shouldn't hurt it.

That's the argument for pouring used oil on the ground.

I would not use that oil any longer than necessary. As soon as you are able, replace it with fresh oil. Put the drained stuff in an old mower or similar engine that you care much less about than the Fury's 318.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back