Where to find Zerex "old green" coolant or something equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a while since I needed old green. But my newly purchased 2001 Lincoln is still on old green and I intend to keep it that way. Simpler that way. I'm not up for a full system drain and fill via engine drain plugs and removing the thermostat. Just a few simple radiator drains and fill. Yesterday I added 15 fresh quarts of Supertech Mercon V in the transmission/transaxle. Coolant and fuel/cabin filters are next.

Trouble is, I checked 3 auto parts stores and none of them carried the old green giant. Everything is Universal, G05, Asian, or Dex. Walmart will order it for you at $17 shipped. No thanks. Amazon has it but you need to be a Prime Customer....no thanks. Doesn't any major store carry this stuff anymore for $10-$13 for a 1 gallon concentrate? Napa, Autozone, O'Reilly's...none had it. This is the common old junk stuff. And now it's it being priced like it's green gold...lol.

thanks

Last edited:
If there's any farm stores in CT, they may carry Durex or equivalent. You may even find a c-store that carries Pride 1000 or 500, which is another good low-silicate green.

The only other brand that still makes conventional green coolant is Peak.

There used to be a store in NYC called National Wholesale Liquidators which sold that along with an off brand conventional coolant.

However the store went out of business.

Last edited:
Excellent guys. Thanks.

AAP has Carquest Green at my local store (on line) at the $11.24 price too. Concentrate. I ordered 2....and a cabin filter. Easy Peasy once you know where to look....thanks. And a 20% coupon in play as well!!!

With discount.....shipped to my door step for $8.99 + state tax. Nice.

==================

Walmart does have it.....but they want $5 to ship it from a middleman retailer....and it's probably a 50/50 diluted version too. They don't keep it on the shelves in my stores.

Last edited:
I thought that Walmart still had the Supertech green concentrate. Also I have seen the Shell Zone green concentrate around, but I can't remember where. Some of the smaller auto parts stores usually carry a store brand or something like the Federated brand that gets used on fleet vehicles ect. Thinking of that, a truck stop might be a good place to check as well as the farm stores as mentioned above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JR402
I thought that Walmart still had the Supertech green concentrate. Also I have seen the Shell Zone green concentrate around, but I can't remember where. Some of the smaller auto parts stores usually carry a store brand or something like the Federated brand that gets used on fleet vehicles ect. Thinking of that, a truck stop might be a good place to check as well as the farm stores as mentioned above.

The Super tech is a dexclone. We get the old school iat silicated green coolant from napa,azone and O'Riley's.

Last edited:
I was originally looking for what you describe. I ended up going with Pentosin A2 in my Hyundai. Got the concentrate for $10 at AZ.
49.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142

The Super tech is a dexclone. We get the old school iat silicated green coolant from napa,azone and O'Riley's.

I'll have to take a look in the garage tomorrow, I thought I had some standard green Super tech, in a blue bottle if I remember right. We also use napa green antifreeze or the Shell zone at work, since most of the equipment and customers vehicles are older.

Originally Posted by Chris142

Uhoh. I've been running that in my pickup (ford 5.4) for a few years now. Does that mean I'm going to be doing head gaskets soon?

RockAuto...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/cooling+system,fluid+/+chemical,coolant+/+antifreeze,11393

Originally Posted by 69GTX
I'm not up for a full system drain and fill via engine drain plugs and removing the thermostat.

Drain the radiator and fill with water, drive 10-15 minutes with the heater on high. Repeat 5 or 6 times, the last few with distilled water. Then fill with modern coolant. You wouldn't use a '60's era motor oil in the engine, why are you using a 60's era coolant in the radiator? There are reasons why most cars of the 60's were all worn out by 100,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back