Trailer Flooring???

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently picked up a 4x8 and it's made by this company: http://cesmith.com/ and comes with 13 inch tires. I really liked it, can be an excellent platform for towing motorcycles and other stuff behind a car
smile.gif

But the floor is made of plywood and it's almost rotted out.

Have to put a floor, was thinking to use 2x4(PT), laid right next to each other would be a good option. Is that a good option or should consider something else? Appreciate any help and advise
thumbsup2.gif

Green treated plywood will probably last you more than a decade and mounts easily. How would you mount separate 2 x 4's?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by philipp10
Green treated plywood will probably last you more than a decade and mounts easily. How would you mount separate 2 x 4's?

What size or thickness for plywood would be good for motorcycle, fridge or very rare furniture stuff?

There are mounting holes on the frame, so laying one with the other and then bolting them down? Definitely a noob!

Just get another sheet of nice plywood and either paint it or seal it, and just replace every few years. Not too big of a deal.

PT 4x8 sheet of 3/4'' plywood is what I have on mine. It's worked for appliances and > 2000 pounds of gravel / dirt / fill / cinder blocks

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Just get another sheet of nice plywood and either paint it or seal it, and just replace every few years. Not too big of a deal.

Ditto. I did a sheet of advantek (sp?) and left it untreated, per the advice of the guy at the lumber store; I think it went 8 years before it rotted out? Mind you it would be full of snow over the course of the winter. Second time around I splashed house paint on it and it's holding up much better. Single sheet of 3/4" and some carriage bolts.

FWIW my HF trailer was painted red but it was the cheapest red they could use. And the metal is cheap too. You might do well to slap some house paint onto the metal surfaces too to slow down UV exposure on the paint that is still good.

Edit: on PT 2x4's (if you do siding) you're supposed to use galvanized hardware but I didn't, just used cheapo zinc and it seems to be holding up ok. YMMV. I suspect the unpainted PT will die before the zinc hardware will.

Last edited:
Don't overthink it, put down some thick plywood. Slap some polyurethane on the wood first if it makes you feel better about its longevity.

Originally Posted by maverickfhs

What size or thickness for plywood would be good for motorcycle, fridge or very rare furniture stuff?

There are mounting holes on the frame, so laying one with the other and then bolting them down? Definitely a noob!

depends upon the structure below the wood but I would go 5/8 or 3/4. I used 5/8" and it was plenty. I was glad I went 5/8" over the 3/4 just due the weight savings. Some poster mentioned replacing every few years.....trust me, it will last minimum 10 years. I know because I have a piece of non-treated as a lean-to roof that went 15. On my trailer I didn't even bolt it down, just used wire as tie wraps on the front. It fit so tight I don't think it could come out even without them.

Last edited:

depends upon the structure below the wood but I would go 5/8 or 3/4. I used 5/8" and it was plenty. I was glad I went 5/8" over the 3/4 just due the weight savings. Some poster mentioned replacing every few years.....trust me, it will last minimum 10 years. I know because I have a piece of non-treated as a lean-to roof that went 15.

Thank you, would OSB board would be good too?

I don't like OSB in any type of moisture application. Its not even close to plywood. Secondly OSB doesn't have the structural strength of plywood. Would not use it.

Last edited:
So I recently picked up a 4x8 and it's made by this company: http://cesmith.com/ and comes with 13 inch tires. I really liked it, can be an excellent platform for towing motorcycles and other stuff behind a car
smile.gif

But the floor is made of plywood and it's almost rotted out.

Have to put a floor, was thinking to use 2x4(PT), laid right next to each other would be a good option. Is that a good option or should consider something else? Appreciate any help and advise
thumbsup2.gif

The 5/4" x 6" pressure treated decking board would be good for a light duty trailer.

These are the screws made for this.
https://www.amazon.com/4-20-Floorbo...mp;ref=&adgrpid=74734799688&th=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back