Need a cordless drill/screwdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Milwaukee offers 1/3rd more torque with the impact tool-alone and complimented by fuel & brushless.
$130 more is fine, being I'm getting two tools (driver & drill). So my original plan was to spend $125 on one. Now I'm doubling that almost for two ($229), plus getting more high-tech stuff with brushless and fuel.

Looking to beat this Milwaukee duo. By next week I'll make a decision.

You certainly can't go wrong with the Milwaukee kit. The Makita kit linked does have both the drill and impact driver. I think Fuel is just Milwaukee's marketing term for the brushless models, Makita has 'em too but just calls 'em brushless. If somebody doesn't value the marginal improvements due to the brushless motors, you can buy a lot of bits or another tool or two with the $130 savings.

jeff

That you will have to look for with Google as I would. This happened to me not too long ago with a cordless pipe cutter, Makita didn't make one, that's how I ended up with this, the tool itself is fine but the M12 battery ruins the whole experience.

I've only used my Ridgid 20V drill a handful of times in the past few years since I got my 12V Bosch set. For you, since you've happily used a corded drill for so long, I'd suggest a 12V lithium model that will be more than powerful enough for 95% of your tasks, then you can pull out the corded drill for the other 5%. The lighter 12V models are wonderful, plus they're usually much smaller, allowing you to get in smaller spaces.

Originally Posted by Trav
That you will have to look for with Google as I would. This happened to me not too long ago with a cordless pipe cutter, Makita didn't make one, that's how I ended up with this, the tool itself is fine but the M12 battery ruins the whole experience.
Makita and Dewalt 12V is a joke compared to M12. They don't even bother trying to compete.

I would probably never buy a Makita cordless tool ever, the batteries are the most expensive out of the three and the tools that use them are nothing special. Corded tools are a different story but their cordless are a horrible value. 2012 was a long time ago, I've never heard a complaint about a M12 battery or tool and I have been using them around others who have them for a year now. The M12 oscillator sucks though, I have personal experience with that.

M12 is pro grade, both the batteries and the tools.

I love my Makita BHP 454 I bought a few years ago. Quality build, good run time on 3Ah 18V Li ion batteries, and most importantly to me, feels well balanced in the hand (not too heavy or too light). It also has the hammer drill feature which is really convenient if you ever have to put a Tapcon screw in concrete. I also like the fact that the 18V batteries can be used with accessories they make and recently got one of their reticulating LED worklights which I now use ALL the time. They also make some grass clippers that use the same battery I've got my eye on. Good luck shopping!

I believe this is the new version:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-...rizontal2_rr-_-205598811-_-206278158-_-N

Originally Posted by maxdustington

M12 is pro grade, both the batteries and the tools.

M12 was a huge disappointment for me and far from pro grade IMO, I will never buy another Milwaukee tool due to poor CS and the way the did not handle the warranty even with a Home Depot receipt and verified and sent in by the Milwaukee rep at HD. The Makita gets used almost daily and never failed and I use them harder in a month than most homeowner users would use them in a lifetime.

I guess YMMV, but I have 15 Milwaukee batteries that are a few years old, 7-18V, some bought used, and 8-12v, some bought used and they are all still going strong. I've yet to wear out a M12 or M18 battery and I use them almost daily, and certainly weekly. I just finished a large demo and refloor including cutting out the entire floor, joists and all and starting over 22X32 feet, and used all my Milwaukee tools including cordless lights, running them down til they went out, and that's a typical job for us.
Just for grins, I bought a couple of new tools for the guys to use, and we'll see if they are better or worse than the Milwaukees we use every day. I got a set drill and impact driver, Makita sub-compact black ones that are as small as or smaller than most 12v tools, and a Hercules 12v screwdriver. We drive a lot of sheet metal self drilling screws and an impact usually will blast them in so fast and strong that they strip out, but the little Makita impact has a gentle setting, so we'll see. The drill is pretty nice and powerful, but not in a league with the 18v Milwaukee, nor needed to be. The Hercules is another option for driving sheet metal screws, fast rpm on high speed to drill the screw in and a clutch to stop it before stripping out.
You just have to find the tools for the job. I would suspect for home use, not everyday hard knocks use, any of the 12v or 18v drills with a clutch would do a fine job. I will say I'm tired of the 12v drills that the battery fits up inside the handle, they're just not as comfortable to use as the bottom batteries like DeWalt and some of the others use, but tha's subjective.

Last edited:
I bought Ridgid 4-5 years ago and will stay with that brand for future tools, if only for the service agreement. My tools get heavy use and in the past I have had tojunk good tools due to the batteries dying. Ridgid's replacment policy has been excellent.

You DO have to register each part (drill, battery, charger) but other than that there is no hassle.

I used the aforementioned 12v Makita drill and impact driver to do a bunch of work at my mother in law's this weekend. Fixing a bathroom floor and installing a toilet, putting up a new mailbox, and installing a bunch of electrical boxes and hanging 24x 4' LED lamps in her garage and basement. What I'd call typical homeowner jobs. They worked great, battery life a non-issue, not one hole they couldn't drill or screw they couldn't drive. The oscillating tool worked well for a few cuts as well. I guess a Milwaukee might have been more "pro" or something or perhaps an 18v system would have been more manly but I can't see what they would have done differently other than weigh and cost more
48.gif

jeff

I've been replacing all my old 18 volt Dewalt stuff with Milwaukee Fuel. Love it. Nothing bad to say about any of it. I have a hammer drill, hex impact driver, 4" angle grinder and 1/2" drive impact. Good stuff.

Although it doesn't meet your $125 price point, going to have to recommend Milwaukee wholeheartedly, although depending on the time of a year, you can get some good deals; I got a 3/8's Drill/Driver & Hackzall combo with 2 regular batteries + charger for $69 3+ years ago at Home Depot during the holiday season.

Having several M12 cordless tools myself, the most recent addition being the Stubby 3/8's Impact wrench (that replaced a Makita 14.4v 3/8's that was 10 years old with Japanese batteries) along with: 1/4 ratchet, hackzall non-fuel, 3/8's Drill/Driver non-fuel, and Cordless Vacuum. I have no complaints with any of them,even with having my 3/8's drill/driver taking a crap while using it to detail my car with a Meguiar's G3500 DA attachment, in which I had to send in for warranty work, with a 5 year warranty, I went to the Milwaukee website and created a support ticket, via the serial number with no proof of purchase, no questions asked it was fixed with a week turn around time. If it were some of the other brands I would of been SOL at at the age I had mine at.

I also see M12 & M18 tools being constantly used in a decently high volume automotive shop environment with anyone using them having nothing but praise for them, along with a small handful that had to deal with warranty repair with quick turn around time.

Every one of the Makita going back to 2008 inc the batteries are still going great, not one issue, I wish I could say the same for Milwaukee (in name only, nothing Milwaukee about them) that have ended up in the trash during that time.
The USA made real Milwaukee stuff, big angle drill, angle grinder, sawzall, etc are old and well used but work like a champ and always did. I would bet if instead of Milwaukee it had TTI on the label sales would plummet.

Originally Posted by Y_K
12V line with the battery in the handle by Bosch feels very well balanced in my hand

+1 for small stuff. Not sure if aid want a small drill.

I have some Milwaukee M12 and M18, some Makita, some Dewalt. Tried to buy what I thought was "best of".

For drills, I have the US made DeWalt brushless 18v, and the subcompact 20v makita.

You'll want a driver once you make a hole. For the smallest stuff I do like Bosch the best. PS22 if you don't want impact (I didn't for this), 42 (I believe) if so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back