:::I Painted My Truck (Questions To Follow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDL

Hello Y'all!

I have a 2001 Ranger which needed some body work, so for the first time ever, I applied bondo, and painted it using a matching Duplicolor rattle can paint.

The Duplicolor paint was okay, but I didn't care for the way it dispensed, plus the can was a little small. As a result, I held the can a little close to the metal that I was painting. As a result, while I got decent coverage, there is some orange peel, and a few paint drips and runs.

I have 1,000 grit paper, and a Maguires product meant to buff out the scratches made by the paper. So here's my question: how many passes do I make when I wet sand the paint? I want to eliminate the paint drips and runs, but I don't want to take too much of the paint off. I also imagine that using a small orbital sander with the 1,000 grit paper is a bad idea, that hand sanding is a better option?

Thanks in advance

This is a tough one. Since this is a rattle can paint job, you have to keep your expectations realistic.

I would try a de-nib tool for the runs: http://www.buffdaddy.com/product/S-BLADE

Normally I would suggest DA sanding with 1500, followed by 2k and 2500. Then rotary and wool to compound, followed by final polish.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions!

I assuming that DA sanding means utilizing the de-nib tool?

How many passes do I make with the sandpaper, using the 1500 paper? I am assuming that using a small electric powered orbital sander is a poor idea?

Last edited:
You would use the de-nib tool on fresh paint to remove the large imperfections you described.

DA sanding is a separate task which involves DA sanding pads on an orbital. You would do this mainly for leveling texture.

Trav has more experience with fresh paint than I do and he can probably help.

Originally Posted by The Critic
You would use the de-nib tool on fresh paint to remove the large imperfections you described.

DA sanding is a separate task which involves DA sanding pads on an orbital. You would do this mainly for leveling texture.

Trav has more experience with fresh paint than I do and he can probably help.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by atikovi
Plenty of youtube videos on wet sanding. Just search.

I have, and I haven't been happy with what I have seen.

It's kinda like, when cooking, the instructor tells you: "throw a pinch of salt into the pot." That's great when a person has some experience, but when someone has no experience, how much is a pinch of salt?

"Wet sand until it's smooth"

What constitutes smooth? How many passes should I make until it's smooth?

If you intend to buy items from buffdaddy.com, give Kevin Brown (the guy who runs the site) a call. I took a class with Kevin Brown several years ago and he is an excellent instructor. He can definitely answer all of these questions for you.

Originally Posted by NDL

What constitutes smooth?

No orange peel.

Originally Posted by NDL
How many passes should I make until it's smooth?

When you don't see orange peel.

I saw the guys and gal on the Power Nation off road show paint a truck using duplicolor. It turned out great. I used duplicolor to touch up my Cavalier and it turned out fair. I think if I would've used the attachable handle/trigger like they did on the show, I would have done a better job. The attachment allowed them to use a more natural paint gun like motion.

Originally Posted by The Critic
If you intend to buy items from buffdaddy.com, give Kevin Brown (the guy who runs the site) a call. I took a class with Kevin Brown several years ago and he is an excellent instructor. He can definitely answer all of these questions for you.

I'll keep that in mind...thank you!

Originally Posted by NDL

What constitutes smooth?

No orange peel.

Originally Posted by NDL
How many passes should I make until it's smooth?

When you don't see orange peel.

It really is that simple...okay, thank you.

I have never done this before, and I know that the sandpaper will scuff the surface, so I thought that it'd scuff it enough such that I might have a hard time determining what's going on underneath.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I saw the guys and gal on the Power Nation off road show paint a truck using duplicolor. It turned out great. I used duplicolor to touch up my Cavalier and it turned out fair. I think if I would've used the attachable handle/trigger like they did on the show, I would have done a better job. The attachment allowed them to use a more natural paint gun like motion.

Thanks for the encouraging post! I am hopeful...when I was a kid, a friend did a rattle can job on the quarter panel of his Blazer, and I argued with him in disbelief, when he insisted that he had gotten his results from a rattle can.

You're just knocking off the high spots. Soak the paper in water 15 minutes before use. Start with 1500 and and finish with 2000. By hand with a backing pad. Then compound with a dual action machine if you have one and finally polish.

You're just knocking off the high spots. Soak the paper in water 15 minutes before use. Start with 1500 and and finish with 2000. By hand with a backing pad. Then compound with a dual action machine if you have one and finally polish.

Thank you for your suggestion, which is most helpful! My concern was that this was more involved than it was, but all of you put it into perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back