Are you brand loyal for motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last 41 years I have used M1 oils at 10K OCIs. To date not one lubricated part with M1 products have failed. Engines, transmissions, diffs, PS pumps, U joints, ball joints, wheel bearings. OPE engines of all kinds.

Last edited:
Used to be 'Valvoline guy'.
Then 'any major brand on sale guy'.
Now, I'm getting into store brand oils+filter specials.

Originally Posted by Loobit
I am. I always used Royal Purple oils and have experienced how great it keeps engines clean and running smooth. It's expensive, but my LS1 and 5VZ don't burn oil at 130k miles using HMX. I recently added API SN Royal Purple in my mom's 5.7 Hemi. It used to use Mopar conventional when it got serviced at the dealer, but then it started ticking at around only 35k. The cheapest fix I can think of is using my own oil and filter, and it worked. The ticking was gone! An ordinary 5k oil change with RP cleaned up that engine because the oil was like brown ink. Since then, I've just never liked conventional oil lol. I actually don't use a Royal Purple filter. I just grab those matte black STP XL filters that can go 10k.

Royal Purple and Red Line are excellent cleaners. Glad things got quiet for Mom's Hemi and fast.

Originally Posted by wemay

Smart man. I vote with my wallet
smile.gif

Originally Posted by passgas55
I am now more of a Chevron guy. Once I use up all my other oil I will purchase Delo 15/40 for air cool small engines , 4 wheeler and diesel tractor. Truck
will get Havoline Pro 5/30 while under warranty then 10/30 when out. I plan to keep it simple.Chevron is a good product at a fair price point.

This 👆 for me as well.. but I've used just about every brand at some point in one of my cars but I always seem to "come back" to Chevron products as they strike a good balance (for me) between price and performance. ... I've used more expensive offerings from Pennzoil or Castrol in the past and I can't say they performed any better than the 5w30 Chevron Supreme/Havoline I usually use. So why pay the premium price if my engine seems to run just fine on one of Chevron's "value" oils??

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with using a store brand/private label made by a Warren Dist or similar as long as it carries the requisite ratings.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Yes I'm brand loyal the brand that's on sale with a rebate!

...‚...‚ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Not brand loyal at all. But it's hard not to buy chevron supreme when it's cheaper than supertech at Walmart. When my mechanic changes my oil I don't really care either as he's a big believer in using decent oils like castrol gtx.

Brand loyal?
No.
Quality loyal?
Yeah.
With MIRs as predictable as spring rain, there's really no reason not to plan ahead a bit and use name brand oil for less cost net than some sketchy brand blended by some third party to a price point.
Same goes for store brands.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Smart man. I vote with my wallet
smile.gif

It may be cheaper to use M1 oils at 10K OCI than what you are doing. Just sayin.

I was quaker state loyal for a couple of years untill I started doing 5k OCI's now I use what ever is cheaper preferably synthetic on my gassers and dino on my diesel.
At work we are loyal to Sinopec cheap for the entire fleet 5W30 Synthetic and 15w40 Synthetic and has worked great, some of the older equipment and trucks with well over 7k hrs and trucks with well over 250k using only this brand of oil, 200-500hr OCI in the HD equipment and 5k-10k OCI in some trucks.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Do you always use the same brand of oil?
Do you switch between brands? i do yes a lot of brands and viscosity (10w30, 5w40, 10W40 and 15w40)
Do you use off brand oils or buy different oils due to sale prices etc.... --> yes absolutely, i love rebate and clearance sales especially in oil or about car sale

I usually buy PP or Mobil 1. But I will on occasion try different oils including off brand.

So far I have used M1, Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Valvoline that I can remember. Ordered some Ravenol, but they sent me the wrong stuff (easy, no hassle return).
So, not particularly loyal to a brand. But, I have used more M1 in various flavors than anything else.

I like to select a brand and stay with it. I have been using TSC travelers oil for a good 30 years. There have been a couple of times in bitter cold of winter when I am over my OCI and I do not want to be in my cold garage changing my own oil, so I take it to a local indy garage and they use whatever bulk oil they have. I dont lose sleep over it, but try to stick with TSC oil for the most part.

I like to think that one day I'll pick a brand and stick with it, but I've used all sorts of brands in the past, mostly due to what's on sale. If I do stick with a brand going forward, it will probably be Havoline because of the 6qt box and the value and convenience of that offering. Rebates with Pennzoil and Mobil1 are great too, but I'm starting to tire of always hunting for sales and rebates. I like the idea of getting a good deal on an every day price.

Originally Posted by RonRonnster
I like to think that one day I'll pick a brand and stick with it, but I've used all sorts of brands in the past, mostly due to what's on sale. If I do stick with a brand going forward, it will probably be Havoline because of the 6qt box and the value and convenience of that offering. Rebates with Pennzoil and Mobil1 are great too, but I'm starting to tire of always hunting for sales and rebates. I like the idea of getting a good deal on an every day price.

+1..rebate offers aside; 6qts of a full syn SN+/D1G2 for $19.99??.. I'll take that all day, everyday and twice on Sundays. ...

Originally Posted by tblt44
I did not know they lost BMW LL-O2 spec?
I know Mobil 1 did
The Castrol I got at Walmat and just put in the BMW 2 weeks ago was LL-02 approved

No oil ever had Longlife-02 approval so...

I've come back around to qsad. It never gave me a reason not to use it. Was a really big fan of the original defy. Qsad is a decent, affordable conventional that meets my needs. I'm content with it. That being said, I can't fathom any reason to not use anything that meets your specs.

Btw, I bought a case of qsad 10/30 from the Napa wholesaler deal. I'm covered for quite some time.

I have been using Valvoline FS 0w20 in my CRV for about 30k miles and don't plan on changing brands. Once my new Pilot needs an oil change the FF will come out and Valvoline FS 0w20 will go in. So, I guess I am brand loyal. I was using M1 in my Civic but the last oil change before I traded it in was Valvoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back