Oil Analysis while using Octane Boosters in Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
I should warn you that if you do oil analysis while using these octane boosters, your analyses will be skewed toward:

Higher Iron content (for the ferrocene type additives),

Higher Manganese content (for the MMT type additives),

Higher Potassium content (for the Potassium Carboxylate type additives),

Higher Sodium content (for the Sodium Sulfonate type additives).

Last edited:
Many of these, I don't even see for sale anymore.

Bottled "octane booster" often doesn't work (or is just *barely* effective), and modern engine ECU's usually compensate adequately, further hurting their market.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Many of these, I don't even see for sale anymore.

Bottled "octane booster" often doesn't work (or is just *barely* effective), and modern engine ECU's usually compensate adequately, further hurting their market.

I tested that with one of my old cars. I tuned it to the edge on E-free 93 octane, added the octane booster, went for a 30 mile drive to get it mixed in well (return style fuel system), and then went back on the dyno. It was the 0-60 octane booster mixed a full bottle to 10 gallons. It made absolutely no difference in the tuning window. We still hit knock retard at the same spark advance.

From my '14 FXT's OM:

Regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI (90 RON) or higher may also be used. Using regular unleaded
gasoline will not be detrimental to engine durability, nor will it affect your warranty coverage. However, depending on your driving habits and conditions, you may notice a decrease in maximum engine performance, fuel economy or slight engine vibration or knocking.

21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back