105k civic r18 valvetrain pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
The valve cover is leaking so I decided to go ahead and knock out the rocker adjustment and do a bit of cleaning.

It has 105k and all its life I've been using Amsoil 5w30 SS and amsoil filter once year/10to12 intervals. What do you all think? The dark spots on the rocker arm and the build up under the valve cover have me a bit uneasy.

0623191300.jpg

0623191312.jpg

Last edited:
Okay just realized I posted the pic of when I just took the valve cover off. I'll take another pic of it all cleaned.

I would have expected it to be much cleaner with that oil, OCI, and engine. Has the PCV valve been in good operating condition the whole time? How long are your trips usually?

For those intervals, I would suggest a few UOA's along the way to determine the ideal OCI.

Seems like a lot of varnish and buildup under the valve cover, especially for a first rate boutique oil. I'd check the PCV valve and shorten the OCI. I would also do a UOA to determine how well the oil is doing for your OCI, should you decide to stick with that interval.

Try Royal Purple, for more cleaning ability. Also consider moving up to the next viscosity.
or
Do twice a year changes (5-6K) using Mobil-1 vanilla, Castrol Edge, Valvoline Advanced or Pennzoil Platinum.

I hate varnish inside my engine and coating my dipstick. It drove me away from Castrol products in 1998. It took me 20 years-time to buy Castrol Edge 0W40 last year.
I have to say it was the Castrol creating the varnish. For my varnish disappeared two OCIs later.
So I suspect Amsoil is the culprit here.

Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

Do you follow the MM for your OCI? What kind of interval does the minder suggest?
smile.gif

Not that great for a Honda with only 105k on it, but still not bad.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

Do you follow the MM for your OCI? What kind of interval does the minder suggest?
smile.gif

Not that great for a Honda with only 105k on it, but still not bad.

The MM would never allow for such a long interval.

Imagine how much the OP could have saved if he had chosen any other OTS synthetic oil?

27.gif

Switch to Pennzoil platinum or Ultra for 2 OCI at about 8K each. See if the varnish goes away. I am also surprised like others here of the varnish created from a premium boutique oil. Check PCV and replace.

No one should care about the varnish. It means NOTHING. Stop listening to any poster who tells you to do this or that to fix the varnish.

Either continue what you're doing or find another, cheaper oil to keep your engine running just fine.

P.S. Honda requires a filter replacement every other OCI, which, if you followed the MM, would be 7-8k miles.

My point: you're wasting EVEN MORE money tossing a freaking AMSOIL filter, of all filters, after such a short interval.

Although your engine is perfectly fine, i like to keep the inside of mine looking cleaner, so i would shorten the OCI with a less expensive oil, if price is a concern.

Varnish will eventually become sludge.

Avoiding shor trips and using better gas may help.

Last edited:
The point seem that the "wonder oil' isn't any more wonderful that would be, by say, a more 'Commonly available' oil. And holding over a filter for another oil change is not going to magically cure it, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back