Are you brand loyal for motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ZZman
Do you always use the same brand of oil?
Do you switch between brands?
Do you use off brand oils or buy different oils due to sale prices etc....

Yes. Been a M1 fan since the 70's.

Sometimes I would switch brands but rarely.

I used to think off brand oils were un-trustworthy. Never search for sales or rebates. Buy oil when I need it.
After much research on SuperTech syn I'm on that kick now. Saves me $10 per oil change, specs are good and I'm very happy with it. My old junks are not picky.

ALMOST ALL OIL NOWADAYS IS EXCELLENT.

It's hard to find "bad" oil, as long as it is API approved.

There's nothing at all "wrong" with store brands.

I usually buy enough synthetic oil on clearance I almost never pay "shelf" prices.

Do you always use the same brand of oil?

With the exception of some testing, yes since 2004 when I started reading on this site while racking up 30,000 miles per year.

Do you switch between brands?

Not usually.

Do you use off brand oils or buy different oils due to sale prices etc....

I usually buy PP or Mobil 1. But I will on occasion try different oils including off brand.

I've considered off brands but aside from maybe using a relabeled Warren product there's too many brands out there today. Finding oil sales takes time and in my experience they're usually sold out when I get there anyway, (no matter how early I get there) so I don't go chasing after sale prices.

Mobil 1 only. Mainly because I get it at such a good price after sale and rebate and can get it in a six quart case. Never have bought an off brand oil.

I try to do some research on oils for my new engine. I pick and oil that meets ALL the required specs, and in this vehicle I chose Pennzoil Platinum. I will stick with this oil throughout the time I own the vehicle. I don't by any oil, not recognized as a major brand. Ed

Always buy what is convenient, cheap and meets specs. I mix oils, synthetic and conventional, store brands and name brands. Works for me.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
I used to use only Castrol 0W40, but now that it has lost the LL-01 approval, I have switched all my cars to Motul X-Max 0W40.

I did not know they lost BMW LL-O2 spec?
I know Mobil 1 did
The Castrol I got at Walmat and just put in the BMW 2 weeks ago was LL-02 approved

Last edited:
No, not brand loyal but I do have some go to oils and a couple of favorites but, it's not necessary that I use those oils specifically. My loyalty is to my wallet.

Originally Posted by tblt44
Originally Posted by mightymousetech
I used to use only Castrol 0W40, but now that it has lost the LL-01 approval, I have switched all my cars to Motul X-Max 0W40.

I did not know they lost BMW LL-O2 spec?
I know Mobil 1 did
The Castrol I got at Walmat and just put in the BMW 2 weeks ago was LL-02 approved

Formulas have been changing regularly and quicker than in decades past. Engine design-changes prove it necessary.

I am. I always used Royal Purple oils and have experienced how great it keeps engines clean and running smooth. It's expensive, but my LS1 and 5VZ don't burn oil at 130k miles using HMX. I recently added API SN Royal Purple in my mom's 5.7 Hemi. It used to use Mopar conventional when it got serviced at the dealer, but then it started ticking at around only 35k. The cheapest fix I can think of is using my own oil and filter, and it worked. The ticking was gone! An ordinary 5k oil change with RP cleaned up that engine because the oil was like brown ink. Since then, I've just never liked conventional oil lol. I actually don't use a Royal Purple filter. I just grab those matte black STP XL filters that can go 10k.

Not really brand loyal but I have stuck with Motorcraft blend in my 14 Mustang GT for almost six years. My fiancee has used Motorcraft blend oil in her 07 Mustang GT for the past 9 years and used Motorcraft 10W-30 diesel oil in her 2003 Super Duty for the 14 years she had it.

Our other vehicles usually get whatever name brand oil that is on sale.

50+ yrs and counting
cheers3.gif

$_35.jpg

I buy whatever brand synthetic oil is on sale at the time, as long as it's less than Super Tech. Otherwise, Super Tech goes in. Since I avoid rebates, it's usually Super Tech Syn.

I use best price oil without rebate as long as it meets spec and engine likes it. In last vehicle I ran Valvoline conventional, Valvoline Maxlife, Quakerstate (engine didn't like it) and Pennzoil Platinum. On Caravan so far was factory, Napa Blend and last one was Havoline ProDs 5w20 so I wouldn't say brand loyal. Not a fan of Pennzoil but would run it no more than 5k.

Originally Posted by The_Cams
I buy whatever brand synthetic oil is on sale at the time, as long as it's less than Super Tech. Otherwise, Super Tech goes in. Since I avoid rebates, it's usually Super Tech Syn.

Smart man right there
smile.gif

Rebates anymore are more trouble than they are worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back