Favorite Engine Degreaser ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the guy who wants to pick up a can of engine degreaser from WM , what is your favorite brand in terms of working well and ease of use applying & then rinsing with a garden hose ?

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
For the guy who wants to pick up a can of engine degreaser from WM ?

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

The formula for SuperTech engine degreaser has changed - - it is now an Ammonia/water/soap based product that is the same as foaming window cleaner!

Does it cut grease? NOPE!!

Huge waste of money......

I mix up some Dawn dish detergent and water in a spray bottle. Which works well and no strong chemical scent. Agitate some areas with a paint brush then rinse with a garden hose.

I don't know about now, but two years ago the Walmart stuff actually worked better than original Gunk, and it did not leave any lingering smell like the Gunk did. I have always used Gunk, but was surprised the Walmart stuff worked better for less money.

For the guy who wants to pick up a can of engine degreaser from WM , what is your favorite brand in terms of working well and ease of use applying & then rinsing with a garden hose ?

Gunk non-foaming. The foaming action seems like a waste. Been a looooooong time since I have done this, and there are a couple of different ways but.. Gunk brand non-foam.

I have always used Gunk, but was surprised the Walmart stuff worked better for less money.

I have had the same experience.

You can use Purple Power, standard oven cleaner (carefully,) as mentioned - the dish detergent if you let it sit on hot engine to clean, there are a few methods, just cover up the electrical and watch the show, might want to make sure the water is as warm as can be ? due to exhaust manifold, very hot, and hot on cold or hot on not hot enough makes for crack You could probably even use Simple Green

Have always used Gunk original followed by the pressure wand at a self service car wash. Garden hose doesn't give enough pressure and is cold water, plus you mess up your driveway.

111,000 miles
[Linked Image]

159,000 miles
[Linked Image]

221,000 miles
[Linked Image]

236,000 miles
[Linked Image]

I've found Gunk and Gumout have the strongest de-greasers but WM's non-CA store brand works ok also. But you can make some pretty good home brews as well. Just be careful what you're mixing....

WM's store brand is NOT ammonia (NH3) and soap. Just look up the SDS for it. It is comprised mostly of a solvent called 2-Butoxyethanol. Same stuff that was used in the cleanup of the deep water horizon because of it's surfactant like properties.

Last edited:
P21S Total Auto Wash is my favorite. It's strong, effective, won't cause damage to bare metal like Simple Green can, and it has a citrus smell which is nice when working with it.

Meguiar's D108 Super Degreaser.

Put it in a spray bottle mixed 4 parts water to 1 part degreaser for heavy degreasing. Mix 10:1 for everyday use. I actually use it as a general cleaner around the garage and outside the house.

I bought a gallon about 10 years ago and I still have half left.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Have always used Gunk original followed by the pressure wand at a self service car wash. Garden hose doesn't give enough pressure and is cold water, plus you mess up your driveway.

111,000 miles
[Linked Image]

159,000 miles
[Linked Image]

221,000 miles
[Linked Image]

236,000 miles
[Linked Image]

Wow fantastic examples!

Originally Posted by atikovi

111,000 miles
[Linked Image]

159,000 miles
[Linked Image]

221,000 miles
[Linked Image]

236,000 miles
[Linked Image]

Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

This stuff is the best I've used. The only thing better is a pan of gas and a wire brush. The sad thing is that it's no longer made. I used to get it at a local parts store and they told me it was going to be discontinued. At that time, I bought all they had. This was about eight years ago and this is my last can.

IMG_2249.JPG

*I wasn't talking about Supertech - WM carries about five different brands of engine degreasers .
Originally Posted by Linctex
For the guy who wants to pick up a can of engine degreaser from WM ?

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

The formula for SuperTech engine degreaser has changed - - it is now an Ammonia/water/soap based product that is the same as foaming window cleaner!

Does it cut grease? NOPE!!

Huge waste of money......

Gunk, goes back to the days of Visiting Harley-Davidson shops back in the 60's with my stepdad. Love the smell left behind on a clean block. I think it works a little better than a detergent meant to clean spaghetti sauce off a dinner plate.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Does the Gunk turn plastics white? Or etch aluminum?

I'm no chemist (but I play one on the internet ...‚)...but my understanding is that any acid/base has the [potential] to etch aluminum as aluminum is reactive to both acids AND base. Just depends on the type of acid/base and how long it's in contact with the aluminum. Some acids/base' are less chemically reactivate thus "safer" to use on aluminum. Check out the SDS for the Gunk product your considering.

As for the plastic question, depends on the type of plastic you're talking about. Some plastics are less resistant to solvents, whereas the type of plastic used to hold some fuel additives are resistant (to solvents). Gunk almost certainly contains a solvent of some kind. Again, check out the SDS.

Last edited:
Gunk seems to be solvent based with a little Butyl Cellosolve in it. Even the CARB-friendly stuff is still solvent based, unlike the new WM stuff Linctex mentioned.

SuperClean, Simple Green, Purple Power and a few other water based cleaners can wreak havoc on aluminum - check the SDS for sodium hydroxide/potassium hydroxide or sodium metasilicate. I know Simple Green Pro HD is OK on aluminum, it's close to their Boeing/Airbus approved Precision Aviation Cleaner. I prefer on modern engines to use a water based cleaner and use plenty of water. No pressure washers, or you risk damaging a sensor or expensive ECM via liquid injection past a seal.

Last edited:
*OP here : Yes , if a water based engine cleaner is safer then that's what I will look for .

Originally Posted by nthach
Gunk seems to be solvent based with a little Butyl Cellosolve in it. Even the CARB-friendly stuff is still solvent based, unlike the new WM stuff Linctex mentioned.

SuperClean, Simple Green, Purple Power and a few other water based cleaners can wreak havoc on aluminum - check the SDS for sodium hydroxide/potassium hydroxide or sodium metasilicate. I know Simple Green Pro HD is OK on aluminum, it's close to their Boeing/Airbus approved Precision Aviation Cleaner. I prefer on modern engines to use a water based cleaner and use plenty of water. No pressure washers, or you risk damaging a sensor or expensive ECM via liquid injection past a seal.

👆..+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back