Straightening a leaning bush

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Been like this for 2 years. Used to be staked but heavy snow broke it free. Seems too heavy to straighten by hand. What is best way now?

You'd almost have to dig it loose (at the roots) and "rotate" it because of how far it's bent over. Otherwise, how many years do you want to work on it ? Maybe get some way to pull it back towards vertical, but very slowly, over months at a time (??).

Going for the natural look, LOL? That appears to be a scub pine tree of some sort, maybe a Virginia pine (based on your location?)? 2 years laying over?? Goodness. That trunk has developed tension/compression wood that will be difficult to overcome. I would correct the problem with a basal chainsaw cut. You could attempt to just push it up manually and restake it. You could do some serious root pruning to allow the root ball to rotate as your push it back up. Stake it, water it, and fertilize a tiny bit to attempt to keep it alive. You could plant a new one and it would catch up about the same time this one got re-established (if even possible).

Naw, I still recommend the chainsaw. It's not good for your house to have a pine tree growing that close to it. Very poor landscaping, if you ask me. But, to each his own.

You really don't want a tree like that next to your foundation , plus a structure needs air and sunlight to stay mold free . Also shrubs and the like that close to building attracts bugs and critters

Definitely not a pine tree. Don't remember the exact name but recall something like Arborvitae or maybe Leyland Cypress. Thinking of a 2x4 propping it up and raising it a few inches every week.

Rig something to your windowsill. Maybe a few foot long 2x4 sent in with decking screws. Then put a hook on that and shorten the rope as the days pass. Maybe even make a Spanish Windlass.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
You really don't want a tree like that next to your foundation , plus a structure needs air and sunlight to stay mold free . Also shrubs and the like that close to building attracts bugs and critters

THIS
01.gif

For starters, that's much too close to the house. You'd also do well to clean up the rest of that mess.

That tree can't (and shouldn't) be saved-that is somewhere around 60 or 70 degrees of lean. That much of a lean tells me that either the root ball is exposed, and has been for a while, or the tree/bush (whatever you claim it is) has been structurally damaged. If it's either an Arborvitae or Leyland Cypress then it's in serious trouble-it looks sickly compared to what it should look like.

That thing is done. Too close the the house to begin with. I'd cut it and plant something you like out a bit from the foundation.

Bet you didn't expect to get as many insults about your yard as you did advice....
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back