NAPA GOLD 1365 filter CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter is from Subyrubieroo ad off a Subaru of his. I think this was used as a transmission filter as fluid looks clean and red looking. Might be wrong. Enjoy the pics

20190623_112812.jpg

20190623_112951.jpg

20190623_114641.jpg

20190623_114632.jpg

20190623_113029.jpg

20190623_113039.jpg

20190623_113101.jpg

20190623_113012.jpg

Originally Posted by Linctex
Yes, it is VERY clean - does it smell like ATF?

Kinda had a "fresh fluid smell" to it but I think the Baldwin he sent me is actual ATF filter

No, the 1365 is the trans filter for Subies. This was on my 07 Impreza when I bought it so miles are unknown. Baldwin was used as an oil filter on the 06 Odyssey.

I replaced it with another 1365 but will probably stick an XG7317 on it later this summer when I put Amsoil ATF in it, and never change it again
smile.gif

Thanks Adam!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
No, the 1365 is the trans filter for Subies. This was on my 07 Impreza when I bought it so miles are unknown. Baldwin was used as an oil filter on the 06 Odyssey.

I replaced it with another 1365 but will probably stick an XG7317 on it later this summer when I put Amsoil ATF in it, and never change it again
smile.gif

Thanks Adam!

You're welcome Chris. I'll chop the 3593A ULTRA and the Baldwin soon tonight
smile.gif

Generally, tranny filters can endure long FCIs. This one looks perfectly fine and could have gone longer.

Last edited:
Dnewton, agree. Subaru actually considers their factory spin-on trans filter a lifetime job unless the canister has rusted, the can is damaged, or the tranny is rebuilt. For the most part I take them at face value on this, since you almost never hear of a failed 4EAT, certainly not for a failed filter. But, just like my oil filters, I'm a "change the fluid, change the filter" kinda guy
grin.gif

Just pulled off another 1365 off the Outback; when I changed this the first time was before the Platinum sale a couple months back. So I dumped a gallon of MaxLife ATF and pulled it off, and refilled with MaxLife and stuck on a 41365. It will stay on either 100k miles or until I trade it in on another Subie! Will C&P at some point, it has roughly 13k on it so I imagine it will look like new, especially since I don't maul my filters with a filter wrench!
lol.gif

Our old Galant had a spin-on external filter. I wish all tranny filters were that way ...

Allison/GM has an interesting concept that I liked. They have a spin-on filter for the 1000 series trans, and it only serves the valve body flow (essentially protecting the solenoid spools, etc). The rest of the trans is served by a traditional chunk-catcher flat-media filter that is only serviced upon tear-down. But the spin-on is done every 25k miles or more, depending upon service factor. The only part of the trans that really need to be "clean" is the valve body; the rest is just a giant pump and meshing gears.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Our old Galant had a spin-on external filter. I wish all tranny filters were that way ...

Allison/GM has an interesting concept that I liked. They have a spin-on filter for the 1000 series trans, and it only serves the valve body flow (essentially protecting the solenoid spools, etc). The rest of the trans is served by a traditional chunk-catcher flat-media filter that is only serviced upon tear-down. But the spin-on is done every 25k miles or more, depending upon service factor. The only part of the trans that really need to be "clean" is the valve body; the rest is just a giant pump and meshing gears.

the same thing is done for the 3000/4000 series transmissions too - there's a separate filter for the control and lube circuits. The filters are made like a Fram Ultra or any type of wire-backed media filter.

http://bustekhub.com/index.php/2016/08/13/allison-transmission-filter-oil-change-b400r-b500r/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back