Safelite Windshield quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the input everyone! I'll go to a local place now. Glad I asked....lots of good glass info here!

Some more unsolicited advice, LOL. Re-read my post above. It's tough to judge the quality of the guy doing the work. Think about how many windshields these guys install every week, every year. It's not unlike tire installers and we read all the time about nice wheels getting damaged. You can visit the shop and attempt to judge the quality of the installers. I really prefer the old school shops. Unlike dealers where you talk to a service advisor and never have any contact with the surgeon,errrr mechanic, I prefer a place where I can talk personally with the technician. Introduce yourself. Ask him if your model has any particular challenges. Develop a professional rapport with him, showing him respect. A good technician will appreciate your attitude and "might" give your installation just a tiny bit more care than the other 1,000 windshields he has done. Maybe. It's a delicate fence walk. You don't want to enter that area of being a dificult, high maintenance customer either.

On my last windshield install I just dropped it off and let them do their thing. Coincidence or whatever, the guy that installed my last glass must have had a hangover or was a real rookie. Good luck. Please follow up with your results!

I'll speak from personal experience. Since I have USAA Auto insurance, and they always recommend Safelite (almost like they have a financial stake in them), I always use them, and have for many years.

I think I've probably had 4 or 5 windshields replaced by Safelite in the past 5 years, and the results have always been excellent. Never a bad windshield, and all other details have been excellent. With other installers, I've occasionally had problems with rear-view mirror fit and stability, glass clarity, etc.. not so with Safelite.

Additionally, I JUST had the windshield replaced on my 2014 Altima a week ago. I ended up talking with the installers about if it was OEM or not, and they stated it was Fuyao, and that Fuyao is a good quality OE (not OEM) solution. I have driven the car since, and the results are top-notch.

I can't speak to "Safelite brand" windshields (didn't even know that was a thing), but I CAN speak to the quality and results of what they have installed for me in the past.

Safelite used to make their own windshields and they sucked. Not anymore - most of the time they install FYG or Pilkington.

The quality of a Safelite install is up to the installer. Some can be downright dangerous. That was the case with the old windshield on my parent's van, since Safelite sends their rookies to rental car lots to cut their teeth. The lower edge of the windshield wasn't bonded and the base urethane wasn't primed. The Safelite installer that came out said I was lucky. He told me a few stories while he prepped the opening and new glass and even had me give him a hand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NO2
PPG is a good substitute for OEM glass. They are slightly more expensive than the standard stuff, but a lot less than OEM. We stopped using Safelite our large van and truck windshields had chromatic aberrations.

PPG sold their glass arm(the G in PPG) to Vitro, a Mexican glass conglomerate. PPG spun off their auto glass business as PGW. Vitro also makes glass under the Crinamex name for cars. Vitro also bought out the OEM side of PGW.

Be careful with PGW - the OEM stuff with DOT 904 is good and made by Vitro. The aftermarket side of PGW is LKQ, and made by XYG in China. DOT 593 is the Chinese stuff.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by NO2
PPG is a good substitute for OEM glass. They are slightly more expensive than the standard stuff, but a lot less than OEM. We stopped using Safelite our large van and truck windshields had chromatic aberrations.

PPG sold their glass arm(the G in PPG) to Vitro, a Mexican glass conglomerate. PPG spun off their auto glass business as PGW. Vitro also makes glass under the Crinamex name for cars. Vitro also bought out the OEM side of PGW.

Be careful with PGW - the OEM stuff with DOT 904 is good and made by Vitro. The aftermarket side of PGW is LKQ, and made by XYG in China. DOT 593 is the Chinese stuff.

Wanted to add that PPG spun off their glass division to PGW, then LKQ (yup the used car parts people) bought the rights to PGW, and had the chinese make it under the PGW name. Vitro bought PGW from LKQ and from what I've heard they're going to re-open the foundries here in the US and put americans back to work! Very cool. From what I've heard Vitro is as old as PPG, so I can see why they saved the company from LKQ!

I'll tell ya, I have the Vitro glass on my civic and it's REALLY good! I would say as thick as OEM, unlike the last PGW that was in there. I hope Vitro returns the quality to PGW!

But yes, until all the old PGW stock is gone, check those DOT codes!

We had the windshield in our work truck replaced a couple of years ago by Safelite. It was noticeably thinner than the OEM windshield. I don't believe I'd use them for my vehicles...

I will never again settle for a non-OEM windshield from Safelite. I had one replaced in my previous Lincoln MKC. Their "OE-Equivalent:" Chinese Fuyao windshield was horrible. It was much thinner, and interior noise increased a lot. I also immediately got a chip/bubble from a small piece of dried mud. The windshield was wavy on 1 side, and rattled/buzzed above 75 MPH. They ended up fixing the buzzing. From now on I'll pay the extra for actual OEM glass.

I had a local Safelite shop replace the windshield in my 2016 Expedition this past January. From what I can see, the installer did a nice job and the windshield looks fine to me. No leaks, no weird noises, and no waves in the glass.

Originally Posted by researcher

I'll tell ya, I have the Vitro glass on my civic and it's REALLY good! I would say as thick as OEM, unlike the last PGW that was in there. I hope Vitro returns the quality to PGW!

But yes, until all the old PGW stock is gone, check those DOT codes!

A friend has a XYG-made PGW and it looks OK, not as good as the OEM Subaru/Central Glass windshield when it comes to optics though. Central Glass also operates as Carlex for US-made Nissan/Subaru and has the rights to the Carlite brand for Ford.

Vitro is an OEM to Nissan, GM, Ford and VW. I've seen seeing their glass being used by Honda now.

Last edited:
I have been using Safelite for many years. Whatever vehicle I own that needs glass I always go factory. The last windshield I had replaced was in my current 07 F150. It's factory glass (Carlite) that was replaced 12/26/10. No problems at all.
If you stick with factory glass replacement you shouldn't have any problems.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I have been using Safelite for many years. Whatever vehicle I own that needs glass I always go factory. The last windshield I had replaced was in my current 07 F150. It's factory glass (Carlite) that was replaced 12/26/10. No problems at all.

You've had the same windshield in that truck for almost 9 years?
shocked.gif

I'm lucky if a windshield lasts more than 2 years in any of my cars, here in Phoenix, at least with the driving I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back