How warm should engine be? Worried about tubing melting in oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way I can ensure the engine isn't too hot to insert the vacuum tube into the dipstick?

Just purchased an sample kit from Oil Analyzer Inc and it looks like amsoil. Are they the same company?

Also, any other advice as to sending an oil sample into Oil Analyzers inc? Does shipping time matter?

My vehicle is 2019 CRV LX with the 2.4L and have around 700 miles on it. I want to rule out any oil dilution in this car and also check general engine health and viscosity. Appreciate any input or tips.

Thanks

Does the information booklet or owner's manual that came with it list temperature limits for the suction tube? I'd fail conservative and assume the oil is 220F after a long drive, unless you have an actual read-out of oil temperature to go by.

Otherwise...wait.

Do you have an IR gun or thermometer?

If the dipstick tube temperature is below 200F I think you'll be ok, according to plastic tubing data found on the internet.

You do not need to get the engine really hot. About 100F is the temp at which I take samples, which is about the time the radiator hoses just start to get warm.

Use the shipping options suggested by OA on their website.

Due to fuel programming on low hour vehicles, I doubt your UOA is going to give you any reasonable data.

Last edited:
Why would you need to analyze the oil on a brand new vehicle? I thought Honda vehicles were so well built and reliable that you never had to worry about stuff like that.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Due to fuel programming on low hour vehicles, I doubt your UOA is going to give you any reasonable data.

Could you please expand further on this concept?

Is it because the computer is "still learning"?

I was wondering about this when I recently did an extraction from my daughter's car for an oil change.
She had just come back from running an errand and I wanted to do the change ASAP as I had somewhere to go...I wondered about the tubing with the oil at full temp.
The part that I actually run into the dipstick tube is black and looks/feels pretty substantial, but it does change to clear plastic before going into the storage container and that part will get pretty soft during the extraction.
I figured the oil must cool to some extent just by running a few feet through the black part...

I will make another thread about why I have to do an extraction for her car...

Originally Posted by axxel6307
Is there a way I can ensure the engine isn't too hot to insert the vacuum tube into the dipstick?

Just purchased an sample kit from Oil Analyzer Inc and it looks like amsoil. Are they the same company?

Also, any other advice as to sending an oil sample into Oil Analyzers inc? Does shipping time matter?

My vehicle is 2019 CRV LX with the 2.4L and have around 700 miles on it. I want to rule out any oil dilution in this car and also check general engine health and viscosity. Appreciate any input or tips.

Thanks

I have a 2.4l GM Ecotec, I have measured sump oil temp numerous times after both highway and city driving, and even extended idling. Temp never got above 190F. I have used the same extraction tube many times without any problems. Make sure you flush it out with a MAF cleaner after each use. It will not leave any residue.

No, does not matter just as long as it was a clean sample bottle and tube, and you took it from the top 1" of the sump.

Are you talking about fuel or oil dilution (mixing). Fuel dilution is measurable even after 500 miles. Good Idea to determine what the dilution rate is on the GDI engine, what the oil and additives can handle. My boron is depleted faster than any other additive. Amsoil SS has high level of boron which should get me a longer OCI. OIl dilution is a concern especially at break-in. After my partial re-build by the dealer. I changed my oil after 1700 miles, and tested the oil after only 15 miles, it retained 20% of iron, 25% of aluminum and I saw a decrease in viscosity and TBN. Getting rid of the wear metals early and frequently during break-in prevents additional wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex

I wouldn't bet on fuel programming, but I would DEFINITELY bet on excessive amounts of break-in material in the oil, causing owner distress (!) The answer for too hot oil is-take it for a long drive, get everything nice and hot. Wait a half hour or so, if you can hold the hot oil covered dipstick comfortably in your hand, take your sample. Surprised no one mentioned melting the sample jar, that seems more likely than melting the tubing.

Originally Posted by Linctex

My understanding is there is a comparison done between a stored data table (for the injector solenoid "on-time" pulse) and the latest mileage listing stored. The results of the comparison modifies the actual injector solenoid "on-time" pulse.

Of course, an additional part of the equation is the outside air temp and engine coolant temp.

[/quote] The answer for too hot oil is-take it for a long drive, get everything nice and hot. Wait a half hour or so, if you can hold the hot oil covered dipstick comfortably in your hand, take your sample. Surprised no one mentioned melting the sample jar, that seems more likely than melting the tubing.
[/quote]

NOT. We all have different experiences, I'll share a little. I've been taking HOT oil samples from fully warmed (to equilibrium temperatures) engines with Amsoil equipment since 2011, and I'm a well established customer with Horizon (Amsoil) testing labs. DO NOT "wait a half hour." The plastic tubing and sample jars will withstand hot oil from a fully warmed engine while running, as this is how I normally do my sampling and have been for years.
My normal precautions are disposable rubber gloves with nice soft deerskin leather gloves OVER the rubber; LONG SLEEVES, and of course safety glasses and some rags within arm's reach in case bad things happen.
Never had any issues with plastic melting, but I HAVE had an overzealous (friendly) dog belonging to a friend of my son's jump on me while sampling, and the leather (and rubber) gloves saved what might have otherwise been a trip to a medstop for 2nd degree burns. I've never been burned or hurt, but the opportunity is always there, respect the situation.
FWIW to the OP, you need to let the engine run until warm for a decent sample: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/information/sampling-procedures/gas-sampling/

Do you have an IR gun or thermometer?

If the dipstick tube temperature is below 200F I think you'll be ok, according to plastic tubing data found on the internet.

You do not need to get the engine really hot. About 100F is the temp at which I take samples, which is about the time the radiator hoses just start to get warm.

Use the shipping options suggested by OA on their website.

I do actually. Good suggestion. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
[/quote] The answer for too hot oil is-take it for a long drive, get everything nice and hot. Wait a half hour or so, if you can hold the hot oil covered dipstick comfortably in your hand, take your sample. Surprised no one mentioned melting the sample jar, that seems more likely than melting the tubing.

NOT. We all have different experiences, I'll share a little. I've been taking HOT oil samples from fully warmed (to equilibrium temperatures) engines with Amsoil equipment since 2011, and I'm a well established customer with Horizon (Amsoil) testing labs. DO NOT "wait a half hour." The plastic tubing and sample jars will withstand hot oil from a fully warmed engine while running, as this is how I normally do my sampling and have been for years.
My normal precautions are disposable rubber gloves with nice soft deerskin leather gloves OVER the rubber; LONG SLEEVES, and of course safety glasses and some rags within arm's reach in case bad things happen.
Never had any issues with plastic melting, but I HAVE had an overzealous (friendly) dog belonging to a friend of my son's jump on me while sampling, and the leather (and rubber) gloves saved what might have otherwise been a trip to a medstop for 2nd degree burns. I've never been burned or hurt, but the opportunity is always there, respect the situation.
FWIW to the OP, you need to let the engine run until warm for a decent sample: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/information/sampling-procedures/gas-sampling/[/quote]

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back