Are you brand loyal for motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you always use the same brand of oil?
Do you switch between brands?
Do you use off brand oils or buy different oils due to sale prices etc....

I usually buy PP or Mobil 1. But I will on occasion try different oils including off brand.

I am now more of a Chevron guy. Once I use up all my other oil I will purchase Delo 15/40 for air cool small engines , 4 wheeler and diesel tractor. Truck
will get Havoline Pro 5/30 while under warranty then 10/30 when out. I plan to keep it simple.Chevron is a good product at a fair price point.

Maybe. I haven't used anything other than Pennzoil Platinum or Delo in years. I even sold the two cases of M1 I picked up cheap.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 and FS X2 5W-50 are my jam but I'll try any of the majors if there's a deal to be had.

For example, I also have a bunch of Castrol 0W-40, 5W-40, and 5W-50 from a recent NAPA sale.

my car mileage is around 95k KM and for that long, i always try any type different brand. i tried Mobil Delvac MX, Q8 T800, Q8 Formula Excel, Shell Ultra. recently i use oil from Thaliand brand PTT.

Originally Posted by ZZman

I usually buy PP or Mobil 1. But I will on occasion try different oils including off brand.

walmart castro 5w20 on 2010, f150, 5w30 on 2005 buick lead sled.lasabre about 38 bucks an oil change..sometimes 32 bucks on special

Whichever ones of the top five brands are on sale will be the oil going into my vehicles. I do have a lot of Valvoline simply because it has been on sale more than the others in my neck of the woods.

A few years ago I would only use clearance oil from AZ sales or close out Kmart sales (always name brand, PP M1 QS Castrol,).

Now I use mostly QSUD and Valvoline Synpower

I never use off/store brands. With QSUD @ $17 for 5 quarts using a store brand is pointless to me.

Yes unless the indy garage I use changes brands. They currently use Amalie.
Not lately.
Nope but I don't buy oil.

Dont use the same brand, switch it up all the time, wouldnt really mind using off brand as long as it was certified, but would rather wait for deals on the Big names. I may only be partial to T5 10/30 for the Tdi since its cheap, quality, and can run it year round, since I usually end up with a yearly October/November change.

No
Yes
By off brand assume you mean store labeled brands, rarely. However, at current price not opposed to WM Super Tech Syn if price stays same or close. Napa Synthetic on sale another option. Yes, try to buy a major's oil with a rebate or on closeout. And now almost always synthetic oil because prices so close to conventional. Havoline Pro DS in 6 qt box at WM now an excellent price and value with no rebate.

I was a Castrol guy at first because my father was, then switched to Mobil 1.
Now as long as it Carrie's the spec that it needs to meet and is a full synthetic I will use it.
I run full synthetic in cars, trucks, mower, generator, pressure washer all except my ATV that needs a wet clutch oil, there I use Conventional Valvoline.

I try to be with Redline Oil and AR9100 Archoil but I would still use Castrol Magnatec if I had to. Nothing wrong about having a certain loyalty;we do it with cars so why not on oil too?

I am not brand loyal. I bought a lot of Castrol Magnetec 5 quart jugs when they were under $18.00 at Walmart for full Synthetic. I bought some Mobil 1 Synthetic with the rebate about 3 months ago and bought the Mobil 1 filters too. I like to go with a decent synthetic for around $18.00 for a 5 quart jug and like to stock up and have at least a years and a half supply of oil and filters on hand. I do not like starting an oil change and having to go to the store because I am missing something. If I couldn't find a good deal I would even try the Walmart Super Tech Synthetic but so far I haven't had to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back