Buying Truck Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tacoma is nice, and would be my choice, but I am in Texas, where there is minimal snow
I see you're up north, 4x4 with snow is probably better, but that depends on you.

I personally wouldnt even look at the Colorado, I've heard the stores of the transmissions, and I'd rather take the chances with the Yota when it comes to the small/mid truck market.

Originally Posted by tcp71
Is the f150 a 5.0l or a 3.7? It lacks ecoboost badges, so should be one of those two. There were a few 5.0s with oval pistons that burned oil, but most were fine. Listen for knocking once warmed up. The 3.7 isn't a rocket but quite dependable.

The one in the picture shows a 2010, so it's gonna be a 5.4l or 4.6l. OP, are you looking at a 2012 F150 or the 2010 pictured? TCP71 is spot on with his comments on a 2012 model and others are correct about cam phasers in the 5.4l in the 2010 and earlier. I think the plug issue plagued earlier models before 2010.
The cam phasers get louder as it warms up and is unmistakable when you hear it. All of the car auctions make those 5.4l F150's with cam phaser noises something that you can't arbitrate even when sold under a green light/ride and drive. We drive them and get them nice and hot before we buy them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rolla07
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I would go for the Tacoma.

+1,

Originally Posted by PimTac
Dittos on the Tacoma

He's looking at a full-size truck, why even suggest a midsize?

Originally Posted by doitmyself
He wants to know if the Ford is one of the years that had those abysmal spark plug problems, etc..

The spark plugs & heads were redesigned by 2010.

Phaser knock/rattle can still affect later 3V 5.4L engines.....I've done several sets on 2010-2013 Expeditions. It's not near as prolific as the 2004-2009 versions.

If maintained.....They can be reliable, If abused/neglected....They can be a expensive nightmare!!, Chains/Oil Pump/Cam Journals are common problems on neglected ones.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

+1,

Dittos on the Tacoma

The OP ASKED about a specific Tacoma...

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by Skippy722

+1,

Dittos on the Tacoma

The OP ASKED about a specific Tacoma...

My bad... I glossed over that.

Still, if you need room for kids I'd go full-size and throw out the midsize options. $13,500 for a 4 banger pick up with almost 100k
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
The Ford IMO (if it isn't sold) Both other trucks 4cyl base models probably off fleet duty... Tacoma appears to be missing the tailgate.

IMO 2, I'd look for a 2011 up F150.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Avoid the Colorado - nothing but problems with the 8 speed.

A 2015 Colorado would have a 6L45E/6L50E 6 speed auto.

Thanks for letting me know, I though the Colorado V6 debuted with the 8 speed.

My dad has been through 3 torque converters and a bunch of flashes/services with his '17. He's on his second transmission now and GM refuses to buy it back unless he buys another GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back