How dependable are the 3.5 Ecoboosts with 100K ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Ford F-150 Lariat super crew 4x4 108k
Asking 16.5k
This would be my first pickup I ever purchased. Kinda surprised at how expensive these things can get. That being said what is everyone's impression on the 3.5 ecoboost? I'm a little hesitant but I must admit a Ram or Silverado with the same mileage doesn't exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. So what say the experts and Ford men on here?

A well maintained Ecoboost is no problem at 100K miles. There are plenty of examples of 250K and now a few have reached 300K. However, a 3.5EB that has not had regular oil changes and the use of high quality oil will have timing chain wear related problems at about that point.

In fact, a good number of poorly maintained 3.5L EB's have timing chain issues by 90K.

If you know the history, and it's good, then it's likely to be a lower risk choice.

NOTE: It's good to know that other brands have similar issues with lack of maintenance.

Unfortunately, there really is no way to simply pop the cap and look for sludge on these engines. Nothing can be seen.

Last edited:
Mine was great up until I traded it in on another 3.5 ‘boost at 140k. 4-5k oil changes with Castrol,0w40 most of its life (the first 30k was PP 5w30 which it turned into varsol @. 4K mile OCIs, hence the switch to Edge 0w40). All it ever took out of the ordinary was a vacuum pump @ around 100k. Ford paid for that.

Quiet, fast, even the gas mileage was pretty good for a 4x4.

Get one with the 5.0L. Gambling on how long the 3.5L EB will last until problems makes no sense when you're paying near $17K.

Ecoboost is for children with no experience who hope technology will help them, when what it does is raise their cost.

It's ludicrous, that the only way to save money with this tech is to drive an extreme # of miles, which any sane person would do with something other than a pickup truck.

I do not dismiss the rare cases where someone needs to drive high miles in a pickup obviously there are a few scenarios where the more fuel economical engine makes sense. It also makes sense to sell it at 100K so someone else has to deal with it.
wink.gif

Last edited:
"Ecoboost is for children with no experience who hope technology will help them, when what it does is raise their cost"
Wrong
"Ecoboost is for children who love a full size truck that will hit 100 faster than a lot of cars who realize speed cost money but don't care.
There, fixed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
Get one with the 5.0L. Gambling on how long the 3.5L EB will last until problems makes no sense when you're paying near $17K.

Ecoboost is for children with no experience who hope technology will help them, when what it does is raise their cost.

It's ludicrous, that the only way to save money with this tech is to drive an extreme # of miles, which any sane person would do with something other than a pickup truck.

I do not dismiss the rare cases where someone needs to drive high miles in a pickup obviously there are a few scenarios where the more fuel economical engine makes sense. It also makes sense to sell it at 100K so someone else has to deal with it.
wink.gif

2011 5.0L Coyotes are not without their own faults, 2011 in general is probably a year to avoid as Ford changed all the engine for the F150. The BEST engine available in a 2011 F150 is the 6.2L but quite rare outside a SVT Raptor & Harley Davidson edition. A customer of mine has a King Ranch with a 6.2L so they were available in other trims.

wink.gif

grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Cujet
A well maintained Ecoboost is no problem at 100K miles. There are plenty of examples of 250K and now a few have reached 300K. However, a 3.5EB that has not had regular oil changes and the use of high quality oil will have timing chain wear related problems at about that point.

In fact, a good number of poorly maintained 3.5L EB's have timing chain issues by 90K.

If you know the history, and it's good, then it's likely to be a lower risk choice.

NOTE: It's good to know that other brands have similar issues with lack of maintenance.

Unfortunately, there really is no way to simply pop the cap and look for sludge on these engines. Nothing can be seen.

Could a flexible boroscope with a camera be used ??

Million of 3.5 EcoBoost owners are proving you wrong.

Originally Posted by Cujet
A well maintained Ecoboost is no problem at 100K miles.

This is the most relevant and useful post in this thread.

Originally Posted by will1780
Asking 16.5k
This would be my first pickup I ever purchased. Kinda surprised at how expensive these things can get. That being said what is everyone's impression on the 3.5 ecoboost? I'm a little hesitant but I must admit a Ram or Silverado with the same mileage doesn't exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. So what say the experts and Ford men on here?

Is this ride at a dealer? Curious what the Blue Book has to say on this 2011. Without looking and the engine oil cap-removed shows somewhat-clean, I'd offer 15K for it.
My price is including tax. That vehicle is worth 16.9, had the odometer read 99K, not 108K. Folks pay much more for vehicles that have five digit odometer readings, over six digits.
Wonder what the cost of that truck (not sticker price), was in 2011?

The 2020s are crawling into dealerships. That makes this purchase vehicle nine years old already and insurance companies offer much less in replacement for vehicles over 10 years old

Last edited:
The EcoBoost is the most advanced engine in a truck you can buy. Everyone else is catching up.
And the aluminum body save almost 1,000 pounds.
Only way to fly.

As others have mentioned, so long as it has been maintained, they are fine engines. Same as any other brand - when buying used, maintenance starts to trump brand preferences and noise.

Guess I'm a 43 year old child since I drive a truck with Twin Turbos... I routinely drive mine out to near 200k and expect no less from my current truck, and rive it with a smile on my face...

I believe the 5.0 is more trouble free but if you have to have the eco-boost for about 1 more mile per gallon and about 15 more horsepower then go for it.

Originally Posted by double vanos
"Ecoboost is for children with no experience who hope technology will help them, when what it does is raise their cost"
Wrong
"Ecoboost is for children who love a full size truck that will hit 100 faster than a lot of cars who realize speed cost money but don't care.
There, fixed.

Yes, it takes a child like mind to pretend it's important for their pickup to get to 100 faster. It's the absolute last thing important in a pickup truck and any compromise to achieve that, is misguided. At the same time you don't want to have trouble merging on the freeway hauling a load but this isn't about that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by double vanos
Wrong
There, fixed.

Yes, it takes a child like mind to pretend it's important for their pickup to get to 100 faster. It's the absolute last thing important in a pickup truck and any compromise to achieve that, is misguided. At the same time you don't want to have trouble merging on the freeway hauling a load but this isn't about that.

I think you have the 3.5 Eco wrong. I myself have a 15 with the 5.0 Coyote but the 3.5 is a solid performer when maintained appropriately. Fuel dilution is a concern but nothing that can't be mitigated with UOA and the correct OCI. The turbo units and the chains have proven to last a long time when maintained correctly.

Be cognizant of 10 speed transmission as it has yet to be perfected. Seems like they got the bugs out of it for 2019. The 5.0 for 18/19 is experiencing some growing pains but seems to be rectified.

I keep my trucks as long as possible but if I were to buy a new one tomorrow it would be a 2020 F-150 Lariat 3.5 EB.

Originally Posted by will1780
Asking 16.5k

It's probably best to hang out at some F150 forums to get a better feel for high mileage EBs. I have friends and co-workers with them, but they tend to trade them in every 3-4yrs. Never any issues in those time frames.

There can be some good points in buying something ~9yrs old with just over 100K miles. Rotors and pads should be all new all the way around. It may have some new wheel bearings and suspension components. Fluids and lubes should have been changed and you'd like to think any faulty components would have been addressed by that point.

Work new transmission and drive line fluids and maybe a spark plug change into the deal, or some additional warranty if you're uneasy.

Last edited:
I guess I'm old school and want a truck with a V8 so I wouldn't consider the 3.5 EB. I've ridden in them and they are fast and have great power but I like the simplicity of the 5.0. I don't want the added possible expense of turbo replacement down the road. I tend to keep vehicles a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back