w116 300sd Mercedes Rear Wheel Bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Rear Left Wheel Bearing needs to be replaced on my 1979 300sd (w116) Mercedes Benz.
I've been putting it off for awhile because it is not your ordinary wheel bearing replacement that you would encounter on your Honda Civic.

I know that most that have tackled this job have regrets an instead have recommended that you just pay someone to replace it.
The problem that I have is that most mechanics will claim to know how to replace it and end up screwing it all up or come up with excuses on why they couldn't do it right.
A significant amount of parts have to be removed or moved out of the way so I don't want to do this job twice.

I have decide to buy the proper tools and just give a shot.
I know that a special socket will be required.
In most cases it is reported that a significant amount of force is required to remove the nut that holds the bearing in place.
I would like to try to perform the job with the rear hub and spring in place. The bearing will be accessed from the back side of the hub.

I need to get the part number to the special socket (for the nut the holds the bearing) and also need the tolerances that are required when reinstalling the nut.
I want to follow proper procedures and would like to use a dial indicator unless someone here can tell me that it is not needed.
I DO NOT want to take my chances with the rear and want to use the proper tolerances to reinstall the bearing so that I don't have to do it again.

If anyone here knows of a good detailed write up please let me know where I can find it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back