Buying Truck Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at three trucks. I drive about 10-12 k a year. I don't want a lease and do need a truck.

I have settled on these 3 trucks:

2012 Ford F 150 - 100k Miles Great Shape, no rust, not a contractor. All tight. Ford on Facebook Price 13.5 Carfax was great.

Carfax on both of these are fine but were commercial. I am planning on driving them in the next day or two.
I like the feel of the F150 but 90% of my driving is by myself, but still need some space for kids.

Chevy Colorado 12k Price

Tacoma 13.5 Price

Just chatting here, any thoughts/advice appreciated.

ford.png

I thought some F150 had problems with camshaft phasers especially at higher mileage ?

I do like the looks of the Ford over the other choices.

I would go with the Ford or Toyota. Toyota has legendary reliability however the F1 50 has proved itself for the past few decades. If you need to tow more go with the Ford, if not I would go with the Tacoma.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Drive them, decide which one you like best, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Comments like the above make far too much sense and can get you banned from BITOG.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Drive them, decide which one you like best, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Comments like the above make far too much sense and can get you banned from BITOG.

Except, what you like on a test drive doesn't take into account the known trouble areas the OP may not know about and for which he is asking advice here for. A Cadillac may run drive great and if you didn't know about the troublesome Northstar engine, you may be tempted to buy it.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by MCompact

Except, what you like on a test drive doesn't take into account the known trouble areas the OP may not know about and for which he is asking advice here for.

Thank you!

Yeah, I passed over 2019's to get a year end 2018 Silverado - and stuck with the 6 speed … a V8 or peppy V6 does not need more gears (than 6) IMO …
Seems this is all chasing the title by 0.5 MPG for that "best in class" nonsense we hear all the time ...

8 speed shudder issuses have been solved with a new fluid at least in my 2019 Canyon. Ive put on almost 10,000 miles since new fluid was put in. Prior to that I was in the dealership every 2000-2200 miles getting fuild exchanged with dex VI. Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP is the new fluid.

Last edited:
Is the f150 a 5.0l or a 3.7? It lacks ecoboost badges, so should be one of those two. There were a few 5.0s with oval pistons that burned oil, but most were fine. Listen for knocking once warmed up. The 3.7 isn't a rocket but quite dependable.

Originally Posted by stiz
8 speed shudder issuses have been solved with a new fluid at least in my 2019 Canyon. Ive put on almost 10,000 miles since new fluid was put in. Prior to that I was in the dealership every 2000-2200 miles getting fuild exchanged with dex VI. Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP is the new fluid.

I think there was a shortage of Mobil 1 Dexron HP since the mass recalls lined up with a hurricane that hurt production output of the ATF …
Betting they did not get enough of them changed over fast enough … Maybe they are caught up on stock now ...
(and they rebadged as AC Delco) ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back