8 spd transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone had any trouble with the 8speed transmission from Hyundai?
I like the six speed in my two but was thinking of trading my santafe sport.
8 speeds seems like a lot. But a lot of safty features' in the new ones.

There are many vehicles with even more gears. BTW, you should test drive a Kia Telluride. Despite the Kia having a V6, Consumers Reports only got 1 MPG less on the highway than in a 2019 2.4L Santa Fe.
The Kia also ranks much higher on the road test score.

Always did think, with all those extra speeds, these cars should be able to really zoom zoom. Seems like only a decade ago, a 7 speed was a big deal. Do not they have a 10 speed somewhere now?

Never saw an H-pattern with more than 6 speeds. Not liking a 5 speed H, where reverse is where 6 should be. R should be up, and to the left.

Originally Posted by talest
Do not they have a 10 speed somewhere now?

Ford and GM teamed up and are using them.

At least for hyundai/kia the switch from 6 to 8 speeds doesnt seemed to have help fuel economy much. Seems like most of the improvement have come from derating the engine for lower hp and they still lag behind the competition

Last edited:
I believe that the Hyundai/KIA 8 speed automatic transmission is an inhouse design; at least from what I have read or watched on Youtube reviews of the new tranny. And I also think that, unless they're having issues with this tranny right away that, the jury is still out on these new 8 spd auto and it's just too early to tell/know about the total reliability of them.

Aisin, GM/Ford, ZF, Hyun/KIA are all building 8 speed trannies for themselves as well as for other car companies. I have also read/reviewed that the ZF is almost unanimously rated as the absolutely best auto tranny on the planet as Jason(EE) explains in his video.

What I have also read/reviewed is that ZF not only builds one of, if not the best auto tranny(8spd) but also one of the worst auto trannys(9spd). Not that the 9spd is unreliable but, most owners hate it for it's quirkiness in the way that the Dog Clutches change gears and delay shifts up & down.

Last edited:
Nothing over 6 speed, and probably actually over 4 speed will save enough fuel to pay for the increased cost of the rebuild when it comes. The 8 and 10 speed are so expensive that many cars will be scrapped rather than rebuilt. 6 speed is is very nice on a 4 cy. 4 speed is plenty on a v8.

Rod

Originally Posted by ernied
has anyone had any trouble with the 8speed transmission from Hyundai?
I like the six speed in my two but was thinking of trading my santafe sport.
8 speeds seems like a lot. But a lot of safty features' in the new ones.

well it might be if it was a manual. But tell us about all those real safety features?

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I believe that the Hyundai/KIA 8 speed automatic transmission is an inhouse design; at least from what I have read or watched on Youtube reviews of the new tranny. And I also think that, unless they're having issues with this tranny right away that, the jury is still out on these new 8 spd auto and it's just too early to tell/know about the total reliability of them.

Aisin, GM/Ford, ZF, Hyun/KIA are all building 8 speed trannies for themselves as well as for other car companies. I have also read/reviewed that the ZF is almost unanimously rated as the absolutely best auto tranny on the planet as Jason(EE) explains in his video.

What I have also read/reviewed is that ZF not only builds one of, if not the best auto tranny(8spd) but also one of the worst auto trannys(9spd). Not that the 9spd is unreliable but, most owners hate it for it's quirkiness in the way that the Dog Clutches change gears and delay shifts up & down.

I had a 2019 Mercedes GLE 450 with the V6 twin turbo and 9 speed transmission as a loaner for a month. I dont know if it was the ZF you were talking about but I accelerated very smoothly but when coasting and downshifting up to a stop light it was very jerky. I was stunned as to how bad it was for what that vehicle listed for. Seems that 6 or 7 speed are the best to me as long as the engine has enough power so the transmission isnt constantly hunting for the proper gear.

I hated the thought of 8spds until I drove my Ram 1500 pickup with one for the first time. You really don't even notice it unless you want to.

In terms of reliability and cost? To me it doesn't matter if it's a 4spd or 10spd AT. They can all fail without warning and every one of them is very expensive to fix/replace. In FWD format, it's labor intensive to get them out of the vehicle regardless of how many gears it's got.

no third pedal no sale, you can have your slushboxes + i will drive a manual as long as my body is able!

Originally Posted by benjy
no third pedal no sale, you can have your slushboxes + i will drive a manual as long as my body is able!

Do you want a freaking medal?

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Nothing over 6 speed, and probably actually over 4 speed will save enough fuel to pay for the increased cost of the rebuild when it comes. The 8 and 10 speed are so expensive that many cars will be scrapped rather than rebuilt. 6 speed is is very nice on a 4 cy. 4 speed is plenty on a v8.

Rod

Yeah, but the extra gears really help acceleration. When FCA put the 8 speed in the Durango, it dropped the both the v6 and v8 models 0-60 time by 1 second while improving fuel mileage.

And comparing prices, I'll use a 300 for example... to buy a new OEM transmission is the same price for the 5 speed and the 8 speed.

Originally Posted by dbias

I had a 2019 Mercedes GLE 450 with the V6 twin turbo and 9 speed transmission as a loaner for a month. I don't know if it was the ZF you were talking about but I accelerated very smoothly but when coasting and downshifting up to a stop light it was very jerky. I was stunned as to how bad it was for what that vehicle listed for. Seems that 6 or 7 speed are the best to me as long as the engine has enough power so the transmission isnt constantly hunting for the proper gear.

IDK if the 9 spd you had in that MB was the ZF 9 spd that I am referring to. I personally have not driven the ZF 9 spd but, it's all over the automotive media, and has been since it introduction, about it's(not poor shift quality normally), but its weird shift lag between some gears. I can't remember which ones but, here is a youtube video on the ZF 9 speed auto in some detail.

Keep in mind that this video is from 2015 but, it's the same tranny today with the mfgs who are using it, have done a great deal of refining the software programing since its intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7EMGnjEhmE

Last edited:
i wonder if the odd number of gears that causes the weird lag, did people have similiar issues with the 5 speeds? wish honda would use their 8 speed torque converted dual clutch in something other than the ilx, to see performance potential

+1 on the ZF 8HP70 8-speed--probably the smoothest transmission I've ever driven--it seems like it's always in the right gear. As for the Hyundai 8-speeds, the one in my wife's Santa Fe is at least as smooth as the 6-speed in her old '14 Santa Fe, if not a little smoother. So far, no issues with it--it just works.

Last edited:

I had a 2019 Mercedes GLE 450 with the V6 twin turbo and 9 speed transmission as a loaner for a month. I dont know if it was the ZF you were talking about but I accelerated very smoothly but when coasting and downshifting up to a stop light it was very jerky. I was stunned as to how bad it was for what that vehicle listed for. Seems that 6 or 7 speed are the best to me as long as the engine has enough power so the transmission isnt constantly hunting for the proper gear.

I will assume that the GLE 450 is a RWD or RWD/AWD design and not FWD/AWD.
The ZF 9 speed with the Dog Clutches is specifically designed for the FWD or FWD/AWD vehicles and the ZF 9 spd in that MB GLE 450 was most likely a 9 spd designed for RWD.

I had a 2019 Mercedes GLE 450 with the V6 twin turbo and 9 speed transmission as a loaner for a month. I don't know if it was the ZF you were talking about but I accelerated very smoothly but when coasting and downshifting up to a stop light it was very jerky. I was stunned as to how bad it was for what that vehicle listed for. Seems that 6 or 7 speed are the best to me as long as the engine has enough power so the transmission isnt constantly hunting for the proper gear.

IDK if the 9 spd you had in that MB was the ZF 9 spd that I am referring to. I personally have not driven the ZF 9 spd but, it's all over the automotive media, and has been since it introduction, about it's(not poor shift quality normally), but its weird shift lag between some gears. I can't remember which ones but, here is a youtube video on the ZF 9 speed auto in some detail.

Keep in mind that this video is from 2015 but, it's the same tranny today with the mfgs who are using it, have done a great deal of refining the software programing since its intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7EMGnjEhmE

Mercedes 7G and 9G Tronic transmissions are developed in house.

MB does have some very nice in house transmission.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back