Liquid moly MoS2 a good add for my Hemi engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read good things about this additive. Also read moly is great for the Hemi engine. Is there any reason I shouldn't add this every oil change? Thanks for your help.

Wouldn't it mess with the balance & formula? iirc, experts recommend against it unless it's an oil with a VERY weak add pack which doesn't seem to exist these days due to api this or that ...

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Wouldn't it mess with the balance & formula? iirc, experts recommend against it unless it's an oil with a VERY weak add pack which doesn't seem to exist these days due to api this or that ...

I hope it doesn't mess with the oil like that. Hopefully someone can answer this...

If it is ticking, start researching lubricaton fixes. FCA had a hand in making an oil formula, they decided to make that formula 240+ ppm moly srt oil. m0s2 s moly in susnesion, MoDTC is moly in most high moly oils, tri nuclear is the moly in most synthetic pcmo's. The fact that tri nuclear ot modtc are the moly used excusively by nearly every oil company and mos2 isn't, should get you to consider what you are doing. I'd look at high moly oils and if you must do an additive use lubegard organic soluble moly.

Originally Posted by Dragon44

I hope it doesn't mess with the oil like that. Hopefully someone can answer this...

It's always a risk you take. I've always felt that if you need to add something to your oil, then you need to use better oil.

Wouldn't it mess with the balance & formula? (it does, in general mfgs/blenders spend a lot of time and money coming up with formulas that work best synergistically, for a given price point) iirc, experts recommend against it unless it's an oil with a VERY weak add pack (then why bother; isn't the point of an additive to "improve" upon the characteristics/performance of the oil it's being added to?) which doesn't seem to exist these days due to api this or that ...

I'm not picking on your post, you just raised a couple of good points IMO. Now to contradict myself, I do use Lubegard Bio from time to time... seems to lower the engine sound and allow the engine to run at lower rpms at cruising speeds. I have no objective way to measure this, so I concede it could totally be in my head. (yes, you could argue I've carved out an exception for my own use of LG...‚) Other than that I don't use a regular oil additive. I may run Rislone/MMO from time to time as a cleaner.

Last edited:
I'd just go with a higher Moly oil next time you change it, there's lots and lots of good options these days.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Wouldn't it mess with the balance & formula? (it does, in general mfgs/blenders spend a lot of time and money coming up with formulas that work best synergistically, for a given price point) iirc, experts recommend against it unless it's an oil with a VERY weak add pack (then why bother; isn't the point of an additive to "improve" upon the characteristics/performance of the oil it's being added to?) which doesn't seem to exist these days due to api this or that ...

I'm not picking on your post, you just raised a couple of good points IMO. Now to contradict myself, I do use Lubegard Bio from time to time... seems to lower the engine sound and allow the engine to run at lower rpms at cruising speeds. I have no objective way to measure this, so I concede it could totally be in my head. (yes, you could argue I've carved out an exception for my own use of LG...‚) Other than that I don't use a regular oil additive. I may run Rislone/MMO from time to time as a cleaner.

It is physically impossible for an additive to allow the engine to run lower rpms at cruising speep. RPMs are fixed based upon the transmission ratio, final drive ratio and tire size.

The suspended moly in Liqui Moly 2009 acts as a dry lubricant and mostly works during cold or dry starts. I don't think it does much once an oil film is established.

So much bad info being disiminated here......
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Slick17601
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

It is physically impossible for an additive to allow the engine to run lower rpms at cruising speep. RPMs are fixed based upon the transmission ratio, final drive ratio and tire size.

Sorry, I'm just a lay person and not a guru by any stretch so maybe I could have stated that better/more accurately. (Don't worry I'm not quitting my day job anytime soon ...‚) Anywho...my engine seems to produce more power at lower rpms by using that friction supplement by LG.

Doesn't friction require more force (since it works to slow moving parts) and fuel for your engine to do the work? And friction produces heat which effects engine efficiency as well?? Wouldn't lowering friction allow you to produce more torque/hp over a wider band, thereby lowering the need to run at higher rpms?

Last edited:
I have read good things about this additive. Also read moly is great for the Hemi engine. Is there any reason I shouldn't add this every oil change? Thanks for your help.

I use it. Bought two bottles and breaking the contents into three OCIs....... 6.5oz......6.5oz.......7oz. No verdict yet on the first batch. But things are quieter and it's running real smooth.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

It's always a risk you take. I've always felt that if you need to add something to your oil, then you need to use better oil.

There is no risk. Only benefits. Liqui-Moly in 6.5oz increments and five quart crankcase will only raise the moly number in UOAs by 35-40, if I recall a somewhat recent UOA correctly.
If you use the entire bottle of 10.5oz, it's still not touching 100..... probably in the neighborhood of 75.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

There is no risk. Only benefits. Liqui-Moly in 6.5oz increments and five quart crankcase will only raise the moly number in UOAs by 35-40, if I recall a somewhat recent UOA correctly.
If you use the entire bottle of 10.5oz, it's still not touching 100..... probably in the neighborhood of 75.

That's what I figured my hemi truck calls for 7 qts of oil and I'm putting in Shell gas truck 5w30 around 160 moly in it according to recent VOA. I was thinking about adding one can of the liquid moly addictive just for the extra boost of moly since it's good for the hemis apparently. I just don't want to hurt the engine ether.

Reviews have been real good. That stuff will help engines last longer.
Only downside I see is a darker dipstick, right off the bat. Liqui-Moly seems to have a dark gray graphite presence, when I poured the 6.5oz in a pre-measured bathroom paper cup. The paper surround absorbed some of the contents..... maybe a 1/4 ounce. I'm guessing it will stick to anything, even glass or plastic cups.

Only downside I see is a darker dipstick, right off the bat. Liqui-Moly seems to have a dark gray graphite presence, when I poured the 6.5oz in a pre-measured bathroom paper cup. The paper surround absorbed some of the contents..... maybe a 1/4 ounce. I'm guessing it will stick to anything, even glass or plastic cups.

Yeah I heard it makes it really dark. I don't mind though I just want to keep my engine in pristine condition. Some people claim it can cause sludge in the bottom of the oil pan is there any truth to that?

Yeah I heard it makes it really dark. I don't mind though I just want to keep my engine in pristine condition. Some people claim it can cause sludge in the bottom of the oil pan is there any truth to that?

I used it for years in my buyback TDI. Added a full can to each 4L oil change and the Moly level was 220-250 PPM on oil analysis. I never saw any sludge but it did turn the oil pitch black.

Nice. I'm hoping to have a good experience with it. As long as there's only benefits to adding it Imma try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back