Under the cam covers. 98 F-150 4.6L with 250K miles

Originally Posted by Chris142
Did it need chains and such or are you doing them just because?

It started making the clattering sound that is consistent with chain or tensioner wear and a loose chain. Evidently it is not unusual with the Triton engines when they reach higher mileage. Mine was actually in much better shape than I expected for the miles.

There are videos and pics on the web of the chain wearing through the tensioner guide then metal shavings going through the engine.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Thanks for your reply and your Service Cliff.
I had to rule out the Navy years ago. I swim like the Plymouth Rock when entering deep water.

Thank you Sir. Wish I could do it again.

Originally Posted by cb4017
I'm in the process of doing changing the timing chain, guides and tensioners on my 98 F-150....

I've got a '98 F250 with the 5.4 that has over 250K miles. So far...(knock on wood)...mine are still good.
Are you changing the parts with aftermarket or genuine Ford parts?

Originally Posted by Kruse
I'm in the process of doing changing the timing chain, guides and tensioners on my 98 F-150....

I've got a '98 F250 with the 5.4 that has over 250K miles. So far...(knock on wood)...mine are still good.
Are you changing the parts with aftermarket or genuine Ford parts?

Aftermarket. At first I bought the Chinese kit from Amazon for $69.99. I'm only trying to keep this truck going another year so I wasn't interested in spending a lot of money. Looked well enough made but they sent the wrong kit. I have the Windsor built engine and the kit they sent was for the Romeo engine. I ended up getting the Cloyes kit for about $100 more. I figured it would be made in USA. I was mildly irritated when I noticed the box said Made in China after I got the kit installed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
Cut open the next oil filter after this work is done.

There will be all kinds of stuff in it.

I plan on it. No matter how careful I was I'm sure some crud made it's way into the engine when I took it apart.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
Looks great! Might was well change the timing chain tensioner and guides while it's apart.

Yep! Doing the complete kit. The pics are the old chain and stuff. I was also surprised by how little wear was on them. I will say the job is a huge PITA. It took me a day just to get the cam covers and timing chain cover off.

Good deal, you should get plenty of additional life out of it. They are a PITA to take apart.

Oh man, drive it for another 150k. You probably could have run with a loose chain for another 50k. My friends 14 Navigator is making noise at 68k.

Old thread but thought I would post an update. After changing the timing chain and tensioners I was somewhat dismayed that the banging and clattering continued.

I eventually figured out it was a bad (very bad) bearing in the AC compressor pulley. I changed the clutch/pulley assembly and all is well. My old 98 is still going strong.

Old thread but thought I would post an update. After changing the timing chain and tensioners I was somewhat dismayed that the banging and clattering continued.

I eventually figured out it was a bad (very bad) bearing in the AC compressor pulley. I changed the clutch/pulley assembly and all is well. My old 98 is still going strong.
Yikes kind of a bummer to have done the extra work, but you'll never need to worry about the tensioners and guides again.

It’s funny you say that because I was going to post something negative like...with 5,000 mile oil changes using Mobil1 and then super tech...that chain and tensioner should not have wore out at 124,000 miles. That‘s why we change our oil and take car of our engines...to prevent stuff like that from happening.

But then everyone was like...oh that looks great congratulations! So I kept my mouth shut.

Good hear (and see) that oil changes kept your engine internals clean and operating properly. And that it was your AC compressor. Sorry about your AC compressor by the way - it’s awful when you do a big job like that and it ends up not being the problem. I once saw a guy replace an entire engine on a VAN because he thought it was seized. Turned out it was just a seized alternator. Guy had 20 years experience in the trade, and yet tried to spin the engine with the belt on and never bothered to check it again as he spent a week tearing that engine out of that van. Awful job to do. Then he gets the new one in, someone puts a socket and pry bar on the old engine’s crankshaft as it’s sitting on the floor and says...this thing spins like butter. Guy goes, what?? Meanwhile the one installed is one click and won’t turn over. Threw a $35 dollar alternator in it and new belt. Started right up. True story.

I believe the 4.6 2v only had some timing chain issues on later 4.6 (mid 2000s).

It’s funny you say that because I was going to post something negative like...with 5,000 mile oil changes using Mobil1 and then super tech...that chain and tensioner should not have wore out at 124,000 miles. That‘s why we change our oil and take car of our engines...to prevent stuff like that from happening.

But then everyone was like...oh that looks great congratulations! So I kept my mouth shut.

Good hear (and see) that oil changes kept your engine internals clean and operating properly. And that it was your AC compressor. Sorry about your AC compressor by the way - it’s awful when you do a big job like that and it ends up not being the problem. I once saw a guy replace an entire engine on a VAN because he thought it was seized. Turned out it was just a seized alternator. Guy had 20 years experience in the trade, and yet tried to spin the engine with the belt on and never bothered to check it again as he spent a week tearing that engine out of that van. Awful job to do. Then he gets the new one in, someone puts a socket and pry bar on the old engine’s crankshaft as it’s sitting on the floor and says...this thing spins like butter. Guy goes, what?? Meanwhile the one installed is one click and won’t turn over. Threw a $35 dollar alternator in it and new belt. Started right up. True story.

Actually the mileage was closer to 250,000 when I did the timing chains. The original chains and tensioners were in decent shape but with that mileage I don't feel bad about changing them.

Bummer about that guy with the van.

Back