Possible engine/starter/flywheel damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Dodge in my sig, I was returning from my lunch break at work last Monday, I put it in park, turned the engine off and as it was shutting off I accidentally bumped the key forward, it happened so fast and I kind of freaked out when it happened, it started back up and revved up and I immediately shut it off. I cranked it back up and it seemed fine, Ive been running it since. I tend to get paranoid about simple things like this, knowing the engine is most likely fine but still worrying about the what ifs. Could there be possible damage to the valvetrain, starter or flywheel?

I assume the starter attempted to re-engage with the flywheel and made a grinding noise? They are very tough and you should be fine

Sleep tight! Once is probably OK .Damage if any, would be in in the starter drive or the ring gear, Starter is cheap job, compared to the ring gear. so don't make a habit of it.
grin2.gif

I didnt notice if it made a grinding noise cause I was so intent on shutting the engine off as soon as I realized what happened. My concerns were if any ill effects were caused by the sudden injection of fuel as the rotating mass was coming to a halt. A friend of mine did the same thing to his truck( exact truck as mine) on purpose to prove that it wont hurt anything, only noise I heard was his starter grinding

People do this ALL THE TIME ... they forget the engine is running and engage the starter ... screech. If everything seems normal, I wouldn't worry about it. Technically, it is possible that you could damage the starter / flywheel, but those parts are pretty tough.

Remote chance you broke one or two flywheel teeth and then remote chance that when you shut engine off it stops at that exact point again so the starter can't engage the flywheel. If that ever happens just turn the engine a few degrees by hand or a wrench on a pulley.

did it even engage the starter?

you say the ignition was off and you bumped it to on.

geeman 789, this was the opposite. As I was shutting the engine off, in the middle of the engine shutting off, I hit the key forward which caused it to start in the middle of shutting off.

Rand, not sure, it happened so quick and I freaked out so not sure if starter engaged.

Doubt the starter engaged - engine probably just had enough momentum to "start" back up after you bumped the key back to on. Chrysler has had ignition interlocks back to the mid-late 90's - I think this was touted as a "Chrysler first" with the 1996 minivans. I would hope they did not abandon such an easy to implement feature.

I'm trying to remember there was a modern rental car I had that would still allow the starter to grind itself, don't quote me on it but I think it is Hyundai/Kia that don't have any kind of starter interlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back